• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Satchel (ditch that pack)

HappyChappy

SH Member
9f262d1330bc50f1acac65cb94951859.jpg

I don’t know what has happened to me as a hunter. I now wear a tree diaper and carry a man-purse. All I can say is, this system works, and works very well. Meet the Helikon-Tex Bushcraft Satchel.
Like many others, I’ve gone through my series of packs to find something that works perfect for me and my style of hunting. Backpacks like my HPG Connor work very well for hauling a set of sticks, a platform, or a bow, but it’s downfall is you have to take everything off at the base of the tree and hang everything from your saddle to ascend the tree. There’s also a considerable deal of time spent packing everything back up together at the end of each hunt. I also love and hate sticks. The more I use them, the less I love them—especially my full length lone wolf sticks that hang on everything in the woods. For this reason, I’ve gone to steps for this coming season. Fanny packs allow you to store a few steps and deploy them easily while climbing, but their downfall is limited capacity. You still need somewhere to put your clothes, gear, and platform (if you use one).
So...after diligent searching and time trying things in the field, I have settled on my ideal pack: a satchel. I learned I needed a bag that was big enough to hold all my stuff and allow me to walk straight up to a tree and begin my climb without taking my pack off. Below is my review of the HT Bushcraft Satchel:

Size: 12”x12”x7” Very roomy.
Perfect size to hold more than a dozen Cranford steps, my predator platform, linemans belt, back strap, tether, bow hanger strap, headlamp, water bottles, and some clothes.
7b008b7105c41a5d88b9db5bba91b92f.jpg

Features:
1. molle webbing on both sides and on bottom of pack allow for modularity. You can even run a bungee or cinch strap (not included) across the bag from the molle loops to secure extra clothing.
2. Also there are two exterior pockets under the molle webbing on each side of the bag—one of which has a closed bottom and one with a pass through bottom (created to hold a hatchet). There is a cinch strap over these pockets to secure their contents. The closed bottom pocket is perfect for holding a grunt tube, keeping it handy while walking or in the tree.
3. Zippered exterior pocket (~12”x8”) perfect for stuffing gloves, a balaclava, and a beanie.
4. Interior mesh zippered pouch perfect for storing wallet, keys, cellphone, milkweed, release, rangefinder, etc.
5. Two interior elastic, deep cup holders which work great for storing straps, belts, headlamps, etc.
a903eaab7c7b78fb5547b616c69377a5.jpg

dbcd3ea431796c470d478ba50d8e13cf.jpg

Comfort:
The removable carry strap is 2” adjustable webbing and is very comfortable—even weighed down! After a mile or so, I may feel some pressure, though not really discomfort. In those cases I just put it on my other shoulder. I can walk many miles with this bag comfortably.
76cc61603d55dc59f6b7268480bae89c.jpg

Noise:
The fabric of the pack is 500D cordura, known for its durability, not its silence. If you scratch it with your finger nails, it will make some noise, but it is not bad. The way i rig it keeps everything I would need access to (once in a tree) on the exterior of the bag, keeping me from having to rustle in the bag itself. So the slightly noisy fabric is a non issue completely for me.
The zippers are pretty dang quiet! Much quieter than the ones on my HPG Connor. Very pleased.

Quality:
EXCELLENT stitching. YKK zippers. 500D cordura. This bag feels bombproof.

Final thoughts:
If you hunt with sticks, I’d probably stick with a backpack. If you hunt with steps or need a turkey hunting bag, or hunt on the ground then you should definitely give this satchel a try! About $55 on Amazon. Lots of colors to choose from. Mine is Adaptive Green.
This IS my go-to, ideal pack. The only improvement I would like to see made is a hunting version made from fleece instead of cordura, but as I said earlier, I’m not the least bit concerned about the slight noise of the fabric. This is a high quality pack that suits my needs perfectly. I load it with everything I need in usable order: in the bottom I load any clothing layers, my predator pack down the back of the main pouch closest to my body, throw my Cranford steps in beside the platform, and put my linemans belt on top of the steps since that will be the first thing I need when I get to the tree. My tether, backband, and headlamp go in the water bottle pouches for easy access at any time. The great thing is, on my way down after a hunt, I don’t even have to roll my steps back up; there’s enough room to just chunk them in and roll them up later. The quick set up/pack up, everything in one place, comfort, ease of access to everything, and its light weight are the main reasons I love this thing. Also, if it gets stinky ever, I can just toss it in the wash. However, since your back is not covered like a backpack, I don’t see this thing getting bogged down with sweat...another positive feature.
Sorry for the long post. If you have questions/comments, hit me up or reply below!

Last edited:
Just checked this out and I’m liking it. Does yours have a tag where it was made? Amazon says made in US or imported.

A third of the price as the hidden woodsman and bigger. Plus I’m digging the exposed zipper versus the buckle strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked this out and I’m liking it. Does yours have a tag where it was made? Amazon says made in US or imported.

A third of the price as the hidden woodsman and bigger. Plus I’m digging the exposed zipper versus the buckle strap.

The tag says it’s made in Vietnam. The stitching and quality is definitely what you would expect of American built goods though.
I saw the Hidden Woodsman too, and liked it but it’s size wasn’t what I needed. And like you said, I like the zipper instead of the flap/buckle combo to get inside the HW and others.

Hey man- good for you! If it works and is a good system for you perfect. I thought about trying to rock an oversized fannypack lol.

I put a strap on my predator pack to carry it as a satchel. It carries nicely under your shoulder and allows for easy access at hights. I don't like them for carrying sticks but they're perfect for bolts.

Until I started saddle hunting I carried an elk hide handmade bag until it about wore through the bottom. Now I use a shoulder sling bag that's about the same but a little modern looking, with zippers and pockets. I like having it under my arm for easy access in case I need a snack while walking.

Used one for years, not as big as that one, but you could staple the predator to the outside. I climb with grade 8 bolts, this sling bag carried those great, along with my drill,rangefinder, release,hand saw ,phone ,etc. I went with the battlebelt mod last year on my mantis and didn't use it,but this year I got a Phantom and think I'm going back to it. It just makes sense!!!
20181107_080247.jpg

Used one for years, not as big as that one, but you could staple the predator to the outside. I climb with grade 8 bolts, this sling bag carried those great, along with my drill,rangefinder, release,hand saw ,phone ,etc. I went with the battlebelt mod last year on my mantis and didn't use it,but this year I got a Phantom and think I'm going back to it. It just makes sense!!!
View attachment 27139

Looks like a sweet setup!

Which bag is that @VA saddlehunter ? I dislike using a backpack bc here in the south, they stick out like a sore thumb. Ive had deer see my pack at over 30ft in the winter. Ive used a fanny pack for years but not with a saddle and I love lots of little pockets like yours has.

@JFin15 , this one is made by Emersongear, it's the jumbo versipack, several companies make a versipack type bag, I used to run one by maxexpidition that was awesome, but they started making the larger size out of a cordura that was loud as hell, the maxexpidition had a waist belt which I think is necessary, it helped with dispersing weight and bending over to pick stuff up. This one didnt have a waist belt so I had to add one myself. I think there is another company, Red Rock maybe that makes one. I think if you google versipack you will get some opinions. The Emersongear one is awesome with the pockets and everything, just needed that waist belt. Hope this helps!

Back