• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saunders Kwik Lok arrow holder

_Dario

SH Member
Anyone using one of these kwik loks on your bow? If so, does it work well? Any issues? Any better solutions?

So when you start drawing, the arrow doesn’t jump on the shelf weirdly or anything? I’m ganna give one a whirl I think.

I've used them as well. Put the arrow in it and get an idea where to place the adhesive tape before you mount it. That way you can see how the arrow will pull free. If you place it wrong, it will pick up or drop your arrow a touch.

So when you start drawing, the arrow doesn’t jump on the shelf weirdly or anything? I’m ganna give one a whirl I think.
Never. And it works well in all of the temps that I've used it, but I have never hunted with it in single digits or in the 90s. But everything in between and it worked just fine.
I will say that I'm not sure if Saunders makes sizes for different arrow diameters. My holders gripped the non-micro shafts but when I switched to Momentum shafts it didn't grip them...too small dia. BUT there is an easy and effective fix for that. They make a little rubber band that slips onto the gripper to reduce the gripper diameter. That too works well.
Saunders should make these holders to accommodate smaller shafts...not sure if they do.

I’m using .246 as of right now so I think I should be good on that front. Why I posted this was to find out if the arrow jumps when drawing back and it sounds like it doesn’t if mounted correctly so I’m ganna give it a try.

I’m using .246 as of right now so I think I should be good on that front. Why I posted this was to find out if the arrow jumps when drawing back and it sounds like it doesn’t if mounted correctly so I’m ganna give it a try.
I guess there could be 2 ways to mount them. Either on the back or front of the handle. Ive always mounted mine on the rear...pointing towards me.
Not sure how it would work if mounted on the other side. I've never tried it that way.

Interesting. I’ll probably do rear since that seems like the most common way.

I used to use one of those 30 or so years ago and loved it. They work great. Snap it onto your arrow while on the string and wrap it around the back side of your riser to mount it. If its to tight on the arrow you can always trim it a little too.

I'll say this, Eventually you will drop arrows from the tree without an arrow holder. That can lead to a blown hunt... noise from the mishap could spook deer in your lap. Or it can cause a lost arrow...they can defect off branches on the way down and end up yards away from the tree, causing you to look for it in the dark. An arrow on the ground that you've handled adds ground odor. And a dropped arrow almost always sticks the broadhead into the dirt causing the need to resharpen it.
These holders aren't exactly pretty on the bow but IME, they are a required add-on.

Try a small rubber band to make the gap smaller if using small diameter arrows. Sometimes this will work depending on the gripper.

I'll say this, Eventually you will drop arrows from the tree without an arrow holder. That can lead to a blown hunt... noise from the mishap could spook deer in your lap. Or it can cause a lost arrow...they can defect off branches on the way down and end up yards away from the tree, causing you to look for it in the dark. An arrow on the ground that you've handled adds ground odor. And a dropped arrow almost always sticks the broadhead into the dirt causing the need to resharpen it.
These holders aren't exactly pretty on the bow but IME, they are a required add-on.

To be fair it’s all vanity but I don’t like how they look on the bow. Two rubber bands tied together, with a knot on one end, wrapped around and hooked on the knot kept an arrow on the shelf of my longbow all last season. Pretty easy to remove when a deer walked up too.

Looks like this:

To be fair it’s all vanity but I don’t like how they look on the bow. Two rubber bands tied together, with a knot on one end, wrapped around and hooked on the knot kept an arrow on the shelf of my longbow all last season. Pretty easy to remove when a deer walked up too.

Looks like this:

So they need to undone when preparing for a shot? The Saunders automatically releases when the bow is drawn.
And with the rubber bands, what happens after they've been undone and the expected shot doesn't happen? Where do the bands go when removed? Do they fall to the ground? Are they taped onto the handle to prevent losing them? And what happens when the shot doesn't happen and the bands need put back in place? Is it easy to do with cold fingers or with a glove on?
How about during a long encounter with an expected shot? At what point do you decide to undo the bands?
I agree that the Saunders is not very pretty but it's 100% functional and hands-free during that stressful moment of truth.

So they need to undone when preparing for a shot? The Saunders automatically releases when the bow is drawn.
And with the rubber bands, what happens after they've been undone and the expected shot doesn't happen? Where do the bands go when removed? Do they fall to the ground? Are they taped onto the handle to prevent losing them? And what happens when the shot doesn't happen and the bands need put back in place? Is it easy to do with cold fingers or with a glove on?
How about during a long encounter with an expected shot? At what point do you decide to undo the bands?
I agree that the Saunders is not very pretty but it's 100% functional and hands-free during that stressful moment of truth.

It has to be removed manually, by grabbing the tag end of the rubber band (I usually tie a knot on both ends to have something to grab) and it goes onto my bow hand middle finger when I take it off. I take it off if I’m taking the bow off the hook. Haven’t had an issue removing them
at 10F, though I don’t wear gloves on my string hand so not really an issue.

It’s not as convenient as a dedicated holder that’s for sure, but looks better in my opinion and cost essentially nothing.

I use orange rubber bands so I can find them if I drop them.

I use a Kiki Lok. I cut away all the unnecessary rubber to mount on the bow. There is just a little square patch holding it on. Never has one fall off.

Last edited:
I guess there could be 2 ways to mount them. Either on the back or front of the handle. Ive always mounted mine on the rear...pointing towards me.
Not sure how it would work if mounted on the other side. I've never tried it that way.
Trust me, you don’t want to mount it on the front…

I had it mounted on the front of a longbow and had a nice buck come thru giving me a quick shot. As the arrow slid back it just slid right thru the hole, but the holder never popped off. When I let go of that string that arrow went every which way except back. I tested it later and sure enough it would not release a good part of the time.

That being said, I always use one on the belly side now and have never had a problem doing it that way.

I use one on every bow and I think they are a necessity but, I do get a little sad everytime I stick one on a beautiful wood bow. I've been trying to come up with an idea that is less obtrusive but, haven't been able to do it.

3 rivers sold a plastic version of this that stuck on the side of a bow.
Also I have seen guys make a wood version.

I can’t imagine throwing on a drill bit and walking over to my bow. If I was Clay Hayes I would just whip up another one if I messed my bow up.

Back