• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scent free gun oil???

Jimdude

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good scent free gun oil or cleaning products. I hate the smell of gun oils myself, so this would not only be for the deer but me too. Thanks

Are you looking for a lube or an oil? Lubrication Engineers makes LX2300 which is a dry lube I use on my semi automatics and around the actions of all my other guns. Even use it on my fishing reels. It is incredible stuff. It is made as a diesel additive and what it does is breaks down the carbon and then fills the pores of the metal and seals it to keep it from re-adhering and then drys so no oil or smell. If you would like some I can get you a discount, just shoot me a message.

Are you looking for a lube or an oil? Lubrication Engineers makes LX2300 which is a dry lube I use on my semi automatics and around the actions of all my other guns. Even use it on my fishing reels. It is incredible stuff. It is made as a diesel additive and what it does is breaks down the carbon and then fills the pores of the metal and seals it to keep it from re-adhering and then drys so no oil or smell. If you would like some I can get you a discount, just shoot me a message.
I guess I’m looking for the whole shubang. Total gun cleaning and maintenance that doesn’t stink

I guess I’m looking for the whole shubang. Total gun cleaning and maintenance that doesn’t stink
The LX2300 would fit the bill for cleaning. I have not tried it for a long term storage lube which I would normally use an oil for when I store my guns or use after a rain but I suspect the LX2300 would still work. I had a semi shotgun that was jamming up on a clay shoot and a fella I was hunting with was a rep for LE and gave me some to try, now I hadn’t cleaned that gun in years but after using it I didn’t have a jam the rest of the shoot. When I got home I took it apart to clean it and there was no dirt left in it. I asked him why and he said The LX2300 continued to clean it out as I shot and worked the action and didn’t allow any powder or dirt to gum back up because it would fill the pores in the metal as it dries to protect it. I was sold on it that day and continue to use it for all my guns. You can watch it work on powder residue when cleaning. I have not tried it for long term storage though, I have a pile of Hopps that I bought years ago I use when I putting a gun away that I don’t plan to use for a while. For the record, a few years later that rep offered me a job and I now work for LE. If you would like to try it let me know, I can do a saddle hunter discount for you.

. If you would like to try it let me know, I can do a saddle hunter discount for you.
Is that offer available everyone or just the O.P.?

I've used silicone for roughly 5 years as a storage coat and also for general wipe downs and lubrications in between cleanings and have had good luck with it keeping things rust free and functioning properly and it's some where between low odor and no odor IMO

Is that offer available everyone or just the O.P.?

I've used silicone for roughly 5 years as a storage coat and also for general wipe downs and lubrications in between cleanings and have had good luck with it keeping things rust free and functioning properly and it's some where between low odor and no odor IMO
Anyone on Saddlehunter I will give a discount, even on other products we have. Just shoot me a message.

I haven’t thought about silicon spray but we have that as well and lots of other oils and lubes. I should do some testing and see what would work the best for storage on guns.

I know frog lube smells like it's probably a vegans mouthwash.
I've had Froglube turn into varnish. Had to use half a can of brake parts cleaner to get an AR bolt unstuck. I wouldn't recommend that stuff to anyone. In fairness, the AR had sat in the safe for a while, but still... bolts treated with CLP and SLIP2000 and the like operated just fine after coming out of storage.

I've had Froglube turn into varnish. Had to use half a can of brake parts cleaner to get an AR bolt unstuck. I wouldn't recommend that stuff to anyone. In fairness, the AR had sat in the safe for a while, but still... bolts treated with CLP and SLIP2000 and the like operated just fine after coming out of storage.
Good to know. Never used it. Heard a few stories similar to yours.

I clean my guns with simple mineral spirits and lube them with mineral oil. Cheap and effective. Don't get all caught up in all the copper fouling crap, its a misnomer. I really like what Gunblue490 has to say about gun cleaning, solvents etc. He's certified Ruger and S&W Armorer, Retired Police Officer and served in Vietnam. I trust what he has to say.

Back