• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scentlok hype

Sanbatin90

Hey guys for years I just laughed when people talked about scent control and figured there's no way to fool a deers nose.. after talking to John Eberhart and listening to podcasts with an open mind I decided to buy some and follow John's instructions to a t. Last year I wore some and I never got winded and I started to actually believe it could have something to do with it..so I bought a set this year for early season and was looking at it and the fabric is super thin and the face mask is actually see-through..I was under the assumption that they sew a layer of carbon lined material into the garmets. I don't feel two layers there and was wondering anyone's opinion on this.. because it's a warmer weather material maybe they skimp on the carbon and only put it into parts of the jacket..tried to post pics but it said the file is too big..

Screen shot your pics. Then crop if you wish and post the screenshot.

What line of scentlok is it?

I cant speak for whatever you bought, I would assume that it is the Savannah product line. I have several face masks and mid to late season stuff, none of it is see through or thin material at that. It all is actually some of the better material that I have bought when it comes to hunting gear. The carbon layer should be sewn through out also otherwise it defeats its purpose. Hope this helps.

I have the Savannah set and can’t see through it. I don’t have the new aero line and doubt I would if you could see through it. I have the Savannah ultimate head cover and is has mesh around the ears you could see through.

Crappy pics but it's the Savannah reign suit, part of the face mask is see through and the pant leg feels very thin and does not feel like it have two layers..If it wasn't so expensive I would cut a hole and find out lol

I have the Savannah set and can’t see through it. I don’t have the new aero line and doubt I would if you could see through it. I have the Savannah ultimate head cover and is has mesh around the ears you could see through.
Your probably right, it might be for the ears. It's the mask that's sewn into the jacket

By the looks of it I think your good, the Savannah line is pretty light but for the higher temperatures. But I think your good from what I can tell from the photos.

@Sanbatin90 - John Eberhart posted an excellent 2-part guide to ScentLok garments with his recommendations back in 2018. (Link below) one key excerpt that applies to your concern is this:

“Something else of importance is that the more permeable the garment, the more chance there is for odor molecules to pass through it before the activated carbon can do its entire job of adsorption. The Savanna garments for instance are the most permeable due to their light and very permeable exterior fabric and in high wind situations there may be some odor molecules that pass through the Carbon Alloy liner without being adsorbed due to its high permeability (pass through) rate and the wind blowing air through it. In still or light wind situations, having odor molecules pass through a Savanna garment is not an issue at all.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back