• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scentlok

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Scentlok has their quick strike coverall on close out for 99.99. Even though it’s the savannah series it is too hot for early season in the south.

If you're not on their email list, you should get on it. Normally I get my stuff at the end of the season but I've been picking pants and shirts up over the past few weeks for 50% off.

I’m on their email list. Every piece I own was 50% off. That’s cheaper than most nice camo carbon or not. I ordered the quick strike coverall. I already have the attack 1/4 zip shirt and a couple each of the crosshair jackets and pants. They have good usable pockets and the material is super quiet. I have found The savanna shooters on sale a couple times and have a few pairs but plan to order another 6-8 sets next time they are on closeout. I never seem to have enough gloves.

Till 8/5 I believe that they are running a deal of BOGO on socks and a set of Savanna crosshair series pants/jacket.

I really like my scentlok. It’s hot. They say the savannah line is for warm early season. For me it’s comfortable from the mid 40s to to 60s. So I will never need the full season line.

I wear merino socks about half the time even in the summer. I don’t own any socks mad by scentlok. I also haven’t had cold feet much since I started saddle hunting. It’s also not that cold here.

@redsquirrel and @EricS, How effective are the Merino socks at keeping the toes warm?
I haven't used any scentlok socks. I do wear merino wool or alpaca socks when it gets cold. They work better than the cheaper wools socks I used to use, but I always need to use toe warmers once the temps get to freezing and below. I've always had trouble with cold feet since I was a kid.

@redsquirrel and @EricS, How effective are the Merino socks at keeping the toes warm?
I bought their merino socks last year during a great sale. Their lightweight merino sock works well for me into the upper forties. Their heaviest merino sock did great for me, at least into the low 30’s. I have trouble keeping my feet warm as I sweat easily and often.

I haven't used any scentlok socks. I do wear merino wool or alpaca socks when it gets cold. They work better than the cheaper wools socks I used to use, but I always need to use toe warmers once the temps get to freezing and below. I've always had trouble with cold feet since I was a kid.
I struggle with the amount of sweat I produce going to and from stand sets. I frequently soak socks and thus introduces the issues of cold feet/toes. I can hunt with cold feet but not cold/numb toes. Once I lose my ability to feel my toes, I feel my ability to balance is going to be compromised. I find myself safer at ground level instead of attempting a decent of the tree without feeling in my feet. I have often wondered if purchasing merino wool socks would help since they retain more of their ability to retain/help create heat. It is that or start changing socks once at my tree which I side strongly against due to scent distribution at the base of my target tree.

Try using unscented antiperspirant spray on your feet with the merino or alpaca wool socks. Let it dry and soak in before you out on the socks or it will not work fully. This eliminates most if the sweat and will make the socks more effective. I even used that method with regular Tingley rubber boots last year in 18 deg weather and had to walk through a creek bottom for a 1/4 of a mile breaking skim ice over 6" of water the whole way. Never get cold feet.

John H., Hickory, NC

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

I struggle with the amount of sweat I produce going to and from stand sets. I frequently soak socks and thus introduces the issues of cold feet/toes. I can hunt with cold feet but not cold/numb toes. Once I lose my ability to feel my toes, I feel my ability to balance is going to be compromised. I find myself safer at ground level instead of attempting a decent of the tree without feeling in my feet. I have often wondered if purchasing merino wool socks would help since they retain more of their ability to retain/help create heat. It is that or start changing socks once at my tree which I side strongly against due to scent distribution at the base of my target tree.
What temperatures are we talking about?

Above 50-60 degrees in rubber boots, my feet always sweat and I just deal with it cause it's not cold enough to bother me.
Below that down to 40 I don't have a huge problem with sweaty feet. I'll wear moisture wicking socks with wool socks and rubber boots with boot liners. My feet might start to get cold during a hunt, but not numb.
Once we get into the 30's and below I usually start to wear my bean pac boots. I wear them with nothing but moisture wicking socks on my walk in. When I get close to my hunting location I'll stop and take them off put on my toe/foot warmers, then my wool socks. Boots go back on and I'll finish the short walk to the tree and clmb up.

That’s my issue as well. The walk to and from.

What temperatures are we talking about?

Above 50-60 degrees in rubber boots, my feet always sweat and I just deal with it cause it's not cold enough to bother me.
Below that down to 40 I don't have a huge problem with sweaty feet. I'll wear moisture wicking socks with wool socks and rubber boots with boot liners. My feet might start to get cold during a hunt, but not numb.
Once we get into the 30's and below I usually start to wear my bean pac boots. I wear them with nothing but moisture wicking socks on my walk in. When I get close to my hunting location I'll stop and take them off put on my toe/foot warmers, then my wool socks. Boots go back on and I'll finish the short walk to the tree and clmb up.
I have come to the point that it can be 30-40 degrees and I sweat enough to soak a pair of socks. I might try the advice given by @Bwhana this year. the issue I have is on longer walks. I have to either prepare to have frozen feet or walk at a slower than usual pace. "Walking at a slow pace", meaning I am essentially hunting my way to my stand set.

Back