• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Schwabisch hitch on Oplux/Resc tech

Fairchild#17

So I bought some 6 mm TRC cord to try a Schwabisch hitch over the prussiks I’ve been using. There’s no doubt then it moves on the rope a lot easier and releases much easier after being loaded with full body weight.
What I did notice however is if I bounced my body weight in the saddle at all the hitch would slip with the standard five wraps.
I added a sixth wrap and it locked up tight, would not budge under shifting weight, but also became considerably more difficult to release.
My rope is new 8mm Resc Tech. I also noticed after loading the rope, rappelling from it a number of times, and using my friction hitches that the diameter of the rope has been constricted considerably and the outer sheath is compressed so it is slick and hard.
Just a heads up for anyone using this recommended combination to test your hitches before you rely on them.
I’m wondering to myself now what it will do on wet rope?
It also crossed my mind whether or not the built-in “slide or give“ could be a good thing or a bad thing if you fell on a slack line?
Is the slide a built in shock absorber?
Will it eventually slow you down to a stop or will the increased friction keep you falling faster?
Will the rope burn out and snap?
You can see in the picture how much the rope has compressed compared to the other end of the rope that has never seen any weight
2528CC41-A3C5-41C0-8624-58C01D6BC355.jpeg4B869FEE-3E35-4CF4-9780-69BA11FA6151.jpegFA0AE3E9-2567-486A-95A6-E1E65D52363C.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll have to look at mine now too. I wonder the the diameter difference is solely due to loading the rope compared to the friction hitch itself. I do have to add an extra wrap or two on my klemheist to get it to adequately grab.

The rope itself shouldn't take on water so it shouldn't be impacted by it too much.

I took everything apart and tied the hitch again so the legs were shorter and for some reason it sets up even with 5 wrap. Just barely starts to slip when i really bounce up and down in the seat. The rope gets hot in just a few inches.
I'll try the Klemheist to see how it compares. I really like how the Schwabisch tends. Even just wrapped back through the carabiner it tends incredibly well compared to a prussik.

I'm just a little fella and I don't need that many wraps...

Screenshot_20210702-195327_Gallery.jpg
I have a bunch more pictures but I can't figure out why I can't scroll down to them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210729-215612_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210729-215612_Gallery.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I'm just a little fella and I don't need that many wraps...

View attachment 50158
I have a bunch more pictures but I can't figure out why I can't scroll down to them.
You have me just about convinced to try the figure 8 and ditch the Safeguard.
What is the smallest and lightest one you would use......or what would you recommend.

Hey, if any of yins guys have or end up getting a Black Diamond Figure Eight get yerself a PETZL Am'D carabiner to go along with it.
They pair up great!

Screenshot_20210706-112800_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210706-112819_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210706-112835_Gallery.jpg

It looks like phatkaw is using 9mm Rope and you are using 8mm rope? That can make a difference as well. Also, the hitch cord material is different. The sum of the little things end up making all the difference. I’m probably wrong, just an observation.

Have fun and be safe!

I'm using a Kong Duck and Petzl going up and an 8 w/ a hollowblock/klemheist going down on Resc Tech. The Madrock seemed to work fine on the Resc Tech but I simply prefer the Duck for climbing and hunting. Going down, it's 50/50 but I prefer the 8.

^^^ @JoyRyd , you're absolutely right!
Every combination of cord/rope is different.
That's one more reason to test all of our stuff at ground level before you climb with it!!!

Last edited:
It looks like phatkaw is using 9mm Rope and you are using 8mm rope? That can make a difference as well. Also, the hitch cord material is different. The sum of the little things end up making all the difference. I’m probably wrong, just an observation.

Have fun and be safe!
No, I believe you're on the right track.
Sterling recommends the 6mm TRC for Oplux ( I have Rescue Tech in the pic but it's said to be nearly identical). That Resc Tech got very slick when rappelled from a few times and the diameter is sub 8mm now according to calipers.
It's really making me rethink my Safeguard.
It will be on the auction block soon I think. Barely used.

The reason I asked about the 8s is because some of them look gigantic in the users hand. I'd like to stay compact as possible.

Do what you want but I wouldn't ditch the Madrock just yet. To be honest, I liked the C-IV better as it was easier to climb but the Resc Tech is better to pack, and it's a wash hunting and rappelling from. If you ever go a larger diameter, the Madrock may become more useful again.

I’m thinking Climbing with just the Schwabisch hitch. It tends so fluidly that I’m not sure the safeguard is the best option anymore.
I went with the Safeguard originally, 1 for the hype and 2 for the simplicity of having one metal device to carry. Both for ascending and rappelling.
Now after watching Fat Cow I might be convinced that the only extra metal object I need is a figure 8, especially with the soft lock video. Up with the friction hitch. Down with the 8
I was comfortable rappelling on just a Munter hitch, but it was really introducing a twist in my rope.

The Super Munter won't twist your rope. BUT, only certain ropes will let you come down with the Super without really having to feed it.
Well, me only being 154lbs (according to the Dr.) certain ropes I only creeped down...

I had to spoon feed the Super Munter with my particular setup.
The Carabiner Wrap was silky smooth, but really twisted things up too. It's not a huge deal as you can work the twists right back out, but I'd rather not have to deal with it.

Back