• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Schwabisch hitch

FLYIN_HAYN

Just switched to using it for one stick climbing with my tether. Man I been missing out! Locks up quick and tends easily! Now I don’t Need to climb with my safeguard any more, I just clip it on when I’m ready to rappel only. One less metal thing banging around in the dark!

I went from the prussic on the tether to a schwabish with tender. Love it. It grips really well and works great with the tender.

I went from the prussic on the tether to a schwabish with tender. Love it. It grips really well and works great with the tender.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but the four coils should be closest to me and the single wrap on top, yes? Or is it opposite?

What double eye rope are y’all using?
I tied my own. Literally just did it. I’ll go untie it and let you know how long I made it.

FYI, I didn’t do the swabisch, I ended up tying the michocoan. It releases easily, and bites very well. I’m gonna try the swabisch and see which I prefer.

I tied my own. Literally just did it. I’ll go untie it and let you know how long I made it.

FYI, I didn’t do the swabisch, I ended up tying the michocoan. It releases easily, and bites very well. I’m gonna try the swabisch and see which I prefer.
Splicing the loops or knots?

4’ exactly. I tied this on both ends with about a 5” tag left.

Then tie either your swabisch or michocoan.

What double eye rope are y’all using?

I have a newbie question. How long should the ends be from the knot to the carabiner? After I did the knot the length of the two ends seemed short. But after using it hunting on the tether there's 4 1/2 inches from knot to carabiner. That seems like too much.

I have a newbie question. How long should the ends be from the knot to the carabiner? After I did the knot the length of the two ends seemed short. But after using it hunting on the tether there's 4 1/2 inches from knot to carabiner. That seems like too much.

Not sure what you mean? How long should the tag ends be from the knots?
I don’t know that answer. Someone smart with knots and rigging should chime in.

Are you calling the ”hitch” the knot, or are you referring to the knots the carabiner runs through and the length from those to the hitch? I too don’t have the correct answer. I know from trial and error (safely hanging in my basement) the longer those are the harder it is to get the hitch to tend, but it shouldn’t change how it bites. Are you running the swabisch or Michoacán? I’m running a short bridge, so it’s not as big of deal for me. Even still, I’m keeping mine pretty short, plus running my 11mm tether back through my biner to serve as tender. The actual loose tags coming out of the knots on the biner are at least 4-5”. I can grab the tag, and it comes out the other side of my palm. I’ll take a pic of my setup tomorrow.

Back