• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scouting the public

leegdn1990

So since the beginning of June I’ve been scouting this section of public land that has about 620 acres. I’ve found two spots that I am very interested in. The first spot boarders a piece of private and there are SO many beat down trails you would have thought a dirt bike was rippin through lol. I set a trail camera in there about a week ago and I went to check it today and only found about 15 pictures on it so I didn’t pull the card out. The second location I found is a big bowl right on a side of a power line. I always have extremely good luck with power lines for some reason and have shot an absolute monster before on a power line. So I set up a trail camera on the power line and got 73 pictures today off of it in about a weeks time. Mostly does a couple smaller bucks and another buck that looks like he may grow into something nice? I’d like to see what you guys think. Sorry for the quality of the picture If it’s a little blurry and I had to crop it to get it to load.

Attachments

• 743A4684-5543-40BE-AC44-7445195B588E.jpeg
    743A4684-5543-40BE-AC44-7445195B588E.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 113
Cameras don't find bedding areas. Putting boots on the ground is how you find them. But I am within 150 yards of bedding areas in both locations.

When does your season start? A lot of bucks aren't moving very far this time of year, so it can be tough to get a good inventory on a property that size with only a couple cameras. Are there any fields on the private that you could glass or shine? (if shining is legal in your area). Maybe do an observation sit on the power line a little closer to opening day?

When does your season start? A lot of bucks aren't moving very far this time of year, so it can be tough to get a good inventory on a property that size with only a couple cameras. Are there any fields on the private that you could glass or shine? (if shining is legal in your area). Maybe do an observation sit on the power line a little closer to opening day?
I believe it starts the 5th of October. Yeah I can watch the private fields but at this point with only having my cameras out for a week and retrieving 73 pictures off of one and having some bucks on there id say im doing alright. I know its still early and I got some time so ill be moving my cameras all already to see where I get the most activity.

Back