• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Screamer in a bridge?

Hunter260

I’ve done NO research, I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about safety. I AM NOT telling anyone they should try this at all and you’ll probably die if you do.

BUT I was thinking about falling on a slack tether, and I’ve read about those screamers before that could mitigate it. I hadn’t gone down that road yet because I’m not too interested in having a big long tether or multiple piece tether. I may research more in the future…..

To my point though, would it be theoretically possible for a screamer to be in the bridge on a saddle? This way it’s still an easy 1 piece system but you get that shock absorption?

I’m not going to try and DIY anything, just thinking out loud so safety police lay off.

I’ve done NO research, I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about safety. I AM NOT telling anyone they should try this at all and you’ll probably die if you do.

BUT I was thinking about falling on a slack tether, and I’ve read about those screamers before that could mitigate it. I hadn’t gone down that road yet because I’m not too interested in having a big long tether or multiple piece tether. I may research more in the future…..

To my point though, would it be theoretically possible for a screamer to be in the bridge on a saddle? This way it’s still an easy 1 piece system but you get that shock absorption?

I’m not going to try and DIY anything, just thinking out loud so safety police lay off.

You'd be halving the force applied to the screamer. - It would take double the force applied to your bridge biner to start tearing it. And introducing the possibility of twisting one way or the other due to the forces on your bridge loop being uneven. Introduces more potential for chaos.

You'd be halving the force applied to the screamer. - It would take double the force applied to your bridge biner to start tearing it. And introducing the possibility of twisting one way or the other due to the forces on your bridge loop being uneven. Introduces more potential for chaos.
That’s a good answer.

I've got a dedicated climbing tether with a screamer for those cases when I'm introducing slack, otherwise I transition to something more compact when in a static hang.

I can only imagine how much maneuverability you'll sacrifice adding a screamer to one end of your bridge.

I've got a dedicated climbing tether with a screamer for those cases when I'm introducing slack, otherwise I transition to something more compact when in a static hang.

I can only imagine how much maneuverability you'll sacrifice adding a screamer to one end of your bridge.
I like this idea. I wonder the best way to hook that up to a recon?

Ok that’s good. I think a screamer would be even more useless than, on your bridge (theoretically). Kyle pointed out by placing it on your bridge, you are doubling the force required to deploy the screamer. Add on top of that, your linesman belt, if used properly, anchored above your waist will also prohibit you from achieving the force required to deploy the screamer even more. I would save your money.

Now, saddle manufacturers could be cruising the forums looking for innovations. Especially innovations that protect the consumers of their product. One way to potentially incorporate the technology, is sewn in "screamers" into bridge loops - IE making the bridge loops a couple inches too long, with stitching that tears at half the rate you'd want for protection. Or a webbing bridge that does the same thing - and it would be replaceable.

Your idea is not stupid. It is just poor execution given the tools at hand.

Here's your safety stitched bridge idea saddle companies... @Hunter260 and I will split the spoils... patent pending.

Now, saddle manufacturers could be cruising the forums looking for innovations. Especially innovations that protect the consumers of their product. One way to potentially incorporate the technology, is sewn in "screamers" into bridge loops - IE making the bridge loops a couple inches too long, with stitching that tears at half the rate you'd want for protection. Or a webbing bridge that does the same thing - and it would be replaceable.

Here's your safety stitched bridge idea saddle companies... @Hunter260 and I will split the spoils... patent pending.
Was just sitting here thinking “screamers sewn into the bridge loops” as I get to your post and see you beat me by an hr... bridge would not work because you could just replace it instead of buying a whole new saddle, and that doesn’t fit the current business model.

But if the sewn on screamer gets used than the whole saddle will have to be pitched?

But if the sewn on screamer gets used than the whole saddle will have to be pitched?

i personally would be ok with paying 200.00 to have 2-3kn of force absorbed by my saddle instead of my spine.

but I agree same thing can be accomplished in the bridge. Easily. Cheaply. Right now. With limited testing and startup/setup costs. Let’s go saddle companies!

Too late.... Already patent pending by Tethrd!...
US20210101032A1 - Support Harness With Shock Reducing Elements - Google Patents

I disagree completely with this assessment

I’d
Ok that’s good. I think a screamer would be even more useless than, on your bridge (theoretically). Kyle pointed out by placing it on your bridge, you are doubling the force required to deploy the screamer. Add on top of that, your linesman belt, if used properly, anchored above your waist will also prohibit you from achieving the force required to deploy the screamer even more. I would save your money.
[/QUOT
I disagree with this assessment as I did with Kyler’s… I am going to post a somewhat lengthy explanation as to why. It goes much much deeper than just chaos and weight though.. also tethrd’s patent idea for stitching a break away bridge is also very flawed and I’ll explain why……

Back