• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SE Louisiana new old guy that DOES NOT know everything

Swampranger

I’m a old new guy from southeast Louisiana that’s totally new to the saddle world. I have spoken to a couple guys already that have been absolutely the best and very helpful. I did make the early mistake of joining several FB groups that were full of experts that almost turned me off to saddle hunting. Luckily I stumbled upon jcline84 who has been fantastic helping me and answering my endless questions.
I mainly hunt private club land, but need to be better at being more mobile, stealthy and to be absolutely honest, a better deer hunter. Even at 54, there is a lot I do not know and want to learn.
Any sincere help or advice is appreciated. Andrew

Welcome from Maryland! Folks that know everything are in abundance these days..... good crew here feel free at ask away as you figure some stuff out. Check out the SH map & try to find someone relatively close to check out a few options.

Welcome from the MS coast! What part of LA you from?

As far as saddle hunting, we’ve all had to start somewhere. A lot of topics have already been discussed on this site but don’t be afraid to ask questions

Thank you and much appreciated for the welcome. I’m retired Army and hunted all but 6 days this past 1Oct to 31Jan season so safe, comfortable, solid, and durable equipment is my goal. Learning how to use it and tips, tricks and experiences is also why I’m here. I feel like a little kid at Christmas every time I talk about deer hunting.

Welcome from Maryland!

The people here are great, very focused on making the community better, and most are dying to find someone to recruit into their 'my setup is the best so join me' cults.....very respectfully!

I was abducted by the 1-stickers (climbing with only a single stick) recently, had a close call with the JX3ers but they let me go when I couldn't pay the ransom.

Anyway, best suggestions I have for you are just to be relax and remember nothing you decide has to be permanent. Try it all out, find out what works for you, but still be open to trying something else.

Alot of things will work. If money is a deciding factor, nothing wrong with some DIY or budget gear. Understand that there are some trade off for everything, and more mobile setups are not always worth it. Since you said that you are private land mostly, saving weight is not the biggest concern you have I would think. Just like I had a treestand meant for walking in miles and a treestand for that few hundreds yard walk. You can have multiple setup for the type of hunting you do.

ABOVE ALL, stay safe. Dont Amazon your ropes with brand names that you cant pronounce!

Welcome from Iowa. Admitting to yourself you don't know something makes you smarter than most already.

Welcome from Maryland!

The people here are great, very focused on making the community better, and most are dying to find someone to recruit into their 'my setup is the best so join me' cults.....very respectfully!

I was abducted by the 1-stickers (climbing with only a single stick) recently, had a close call with the JX3ers but they let me go when I couldn't pay the ransom.

Anyway, best suggestions I have for you are just to be relax and remember nothing you decide has to be permanent. Try it all out, find out what works for you, but still be open to trying something else.

Alot of things will work. If money is a deciding factor, nothing wrong with some DIY or budget gear. Understand that there are some trade off for everything, and more mobile setups are not always worth it. Since you said that you are private land mostly, saving weight is not the biggest concern you have I would think. Just like I had a treestand meant for walking in miles and a treestand for that few hundreds yard walk. You can have multiple setup for the type of hunting you do.

ABOVE ALL, stay safe. Dont Amazon your ropes with brand names that you cant pronounce!
Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it! I’m eager to learn but in no rush. I’m hoping to be set by mid May and practice through the summer.

Welcome, I'm pretty close to your age. Its a great site and a helpful one. There's always a new idea or method..... keeps you hoppin' but its all good and again, it never hurts to ask as a question. There's never just one way to skin a cat but the safe way should trump all others.

Facebook is the devil!
Welcome to the real OG site. I grew up in Donaldsonville but recently moved to Alabama. Enjoy the site.!

Welcome, I'm pretty close to your age. Its a great site and a helpful one. There's always a new idea or method..... keeps you hoppin' but its all good and again, it never hurts to ask as a question. There's never just one way to skin a cat but the safe way should trump all others.
Thank you. I’m excited to be more mobile and stealthy. I grew up hunting feed trees in St Francisville, so these pines on paper company land is new to me.

Welcome. Southeast LA as well. Let me know if I can help. Definitely no pro -but really enjoy being mobile with a saddle.

Cooyon

Welcome from SE Georgia/Central Florida. Between this forum and the hunting beast, thats about the best you can get. always very helpful on here, just ask. Good luck

I'm just gonna suggest the guys with "swamp" in their username should all form the Swamp Posse or something similar.

Oh and welcome :)

Last edited:
Welcome from central Illinois. I am also new to the saddle game. It is tough figuring out which information to follow and which to ignore, but the people on this site have been very helpful so far. You picked a good community to learn from.

Back