• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Season dwindling down

Im having a way less than ideal season here in NC as well. The weather cant make up its mind and due to work I missed most of the rut. Been hunting in what has become ghost towns that used to be sweet spots. Only good that has come out of this season is Ive been able to gain a lot of good intel on some areas Ive strolled through to help put a game plan together for next year.

Same here. Tough season with a lot going on. Twin babies just turned 1. Work is always busy during the rut. Weather changes by the day and major fronts in the middle of the day. I am still at it though. Season doesn't end until Jan 15 for both archery turkey and deer. Saw some turkeys from my saddle this morning... next time I may be close enough to seal the deal!

My bow season ends in late Feb. I have had such crappy luck last 2 that I just can not bring myself to hunt. I had my shooter come in and bed right before my eyes and just let him walk away. Shot another buck that was a giant ordeal to get. Usually I am going strong until the end but now I just cant be more disappointed. Im still waiting on a way to ditch my sticks. If I can limit the p.i.t.a. It is just getting set up, it would be enjoyable again. Eyeing a LW hand climber to maybe spark the fire again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a rough season as well, but I decided early on to take @DaveT1963 's preseason advice to heart. Have fun and don't get frustrated. After all, even without harvesting a deer, I'm still hunting which is what I love to do. I'm still at it on weekends as work allows until out bow season ends here in Michigan on Jan. 1st. Bottom line is I hunted hard and enjoyed myself so I have no regrets. I chalk up a lot of the improved attitude to the "new twist on an old game" that a full season of dedicated saddle hunting has provided.

Good news for me is that as hunting season winds down, I can start experimenting with new tree climbing methods and setup mods. I typically don't like changing things up during the hunting season so the offseason is when I play around and try new things. I'm really looking forward to it this year.

I have been skunked so far and may only have one or two short days to hunt this season hopefully more but depends on family demands. . I have hunted 3 times in 10 days but only a total of 10 hours. But I did see 6 bucks in those 3 sits, which is good for this area... Just no opportunities to kill one. Snow and movement to wintering areas is making being in a good spot easier. Still no luck or providential grace or skill or all three.
Humility and deer hunting go hand in hand for this hunter. Still I like watching them even though I was busted today.

Our season here (Northeast Mississippi)has been tough. Bow season started hot and dry but I was able to score with the first official kill from the JX3 HYBRID on a decent 8 pt. Then rifle season is here until the last day of January and I scored with a 7 pt.
Went on a 9 day "RUTCATION" last week. Four of those days, RAIN. No good and very little rut action, think I only eyed 10 deer, a 7 pt, spikes and does.....sad.....but the stay at the cabin was a blast.
The rut has just started in the county (Alcorn) that I live. Paw places have gone dry and people are seeing bucks on the move. The county (Tishomingo) to the east of me, the paws are being worked and the bucks are rubbing nice size trees. Some of the guys I know have hammered some nice bucks. I'M BACK AT WORK.....dead gummit!
Christmas vacation starts Friday and I'll be off for 13 more days with my arm in a sling!! Rifle sling that is!

I can hunt until latter part of Feb., and if there is special dispensation, until end of March.

Right now, the lazy me wants to relax (and not freeze up north). That said, I am mentoring a new guy hunting. He is almost 50 years old. This is his first season. He wants to get out every possible minute and is soaking up any and all knowledge I share with him. To be honest, it is a breath of fresh air and puts wind in my sails. He is like a clean slate without any preconceived notions and full of piss and vinegar. He is actually making me work harder.

At the moment, we are only doing archery. I was able to talk him into a climber. But now he says, the trees we need to use are not good for a climber.

I have talked him into mobile set ups. I shared mobile hang on and mobile saddle hunting. This late season I will share Guidos Web with him. I am confident he will be in a saddle next season. He’s either going to be the death of me, or make me a more effective hunter.

It ain’t over until it’s over.

I am heading out tomorrow afternoon, Thursday AM before the rain, and Saturday after the rain. I need strength to keep up with him.

My season in southern Illinois ends January 20th. I have at best about 11 days to try. I’m chomping at the bit to receive my mantis and try saddle hunting. I have had a terrific season for me. I got my first shot at a mature brute, ( I missed). I have passed more bucks than I have even seen the previous 2 years. I’ve had dozens of deer down wind without getting busted. I am learning, and it’s just a matter of time. Still excited

A decent season of learning overall for me. Took my first saddle deer, worked on dialing in my system, and getting things in place to be more mobile and effective going forward. Watched nice bucks walk right by my second-choice trees on multiple occasions, which was a bit frustrating.

Above all else, my wife was successful on a nice doe with her bow in her first season hunting.

Time in the woods, a full freezer, and a new hunter success? Can't complain at all.

My bow season ends in late Feb. I have had such crappy luck last 2 that I just can not bring myself to hunt. I had my shooter come in and bed right before my eyes and just let him walk away. Shot another buck that was a giant ordeal to get. Usually I am going strong until the end but now I just cant be more disappointed. Im still waiting on a way to ditch my sticks. If I can limit the p.i.t.a. It is just getting set up, it would be enjoyable again. Eyeing a LW hand climber to maybe spark the fire again.

Allow me to bear witness for a moment.

Late season last year had me beyond discouraged. I shot and failed to recover a WMA buck, a nice hog, and a doe. All in about a month span. The buck was the last straw. I was immensely disappointed in myself. Disgust is a strong word, but I think it was an accurate description of what I was feeling. I lost sleep.

Then, long story short, a squirrel hunt turned into a very successful deer hunt. Killed one of my biggest bucks while he was bedded with a doe, from the ground, and it was a canoe-hunt to top it off.

Winning streaks happen, and so do losing ones. Don't quit. Ride it out

I have had a successful year and can't complain. I harvested my first buck in bow season A nice eight point from a hang on before I had my saddle. I was not able to harvest a deer from my saddle I made a bad shot on a 7 point but was blessed to be able to take him from the ground with my .450 BM after I let him breed a doe twice it was pretty cool.
I will say this there has been two times in my 25 years of hunting where I just wanted to give up.
The first was about seven years ago when I missed the biggest buck I have ever seen in my entire life twice with a bow and then watched him walk away like nothing happened and couldn't get another shot.

The second was two years ago when I made a Front shoulder shot and did not fatally wound the biggest buck I've ever shot.

After both of these times I missed a lot of time hunting in each of those seasons due to feeling sorry for myself and being depressed and I have come to realize that you will never get that time back if you have a situation such as this the best thing you can do is go back out the next day and try again that is why it's called hunting and not shooting deer. Learn from your mistakes and get out there and hunt because that's we do!!
I can't say enough about this site such a good group of guys good luck to all and happy holidays

I haven't had much luck either, no shots! The seasons not over though. I have some time off at work coming up, I've got my new saddle which I am thoroughly enjoying. Hopefully my new Predator will be delivered this week. It's not over yet!
SkylineReaper is right. This is an awesome site with an awesome group of guy's. Good luck to everyone! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Same here. Tough season with a lot going on. Twin babies just turned 1. Work is always busy during the rut. Weather changes by the day and major fronts in the middle of the day. I am still at it though. Season doesn't end until Jan 15 for both archery turkey and deer. Saw some turkeys from my saddle this morning... next time I may be close enough to seal the deal!
Congrats. on the twins, and wish em Happy Birthday from all the folks at Saddle hunter. Best thing in my life, being a father. My kids are grown now. I wouldn't want to go back and do it again, but they are my fondest memories.

I’d say it’s been a partial success this year if taking in the entire front of outdoors activities. I’ve laid one pig down, received 2 “roadkill” deer that found my freezer, and on top of those I have some frog legs, dove, and squirrel to boot! No shots taken at any deer this year but a semi-full freezer with some good memories as well makes for an, IMO, successful season!

Still time left to find a big buck before the season ends but if it doesn’t happen, I’m still happy. Fishing season is around the corner!

I’d say it’s been a partial success this year if taking in the entire front of outdoors activities. I’ve laid one pig down, received 2 “roadkill” deer that found my freezer, and on top of those I have some frog legs, dove, and squirrel to boot! No shots taken at any deer this year but a semi-full freezer with some good memories as well makes for an, IMO, successful season!

Still time left to find a big buck before the season ends but if it doesn’t happen, I’m still happy. Fishing season is around the corner!

Sounds like one heckuva good season to me! Happiness is cold beer with a bug spray aftertaste and a cooler full of frogs!

I missed another day today due to work. Had the day scheduled and phone was blowing up this morning. Aaargh.

Back