• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Season in review

casts_by_fly

Hi All,

New guy here, but I know how much I like reading others' stories so I figured there's probably more like me. I'm a bit long in the fingers so hopefully you're bored at work and need something to fill it. With the season winding down for me (yeah we have 2 months left, unlimited doe tags, and another buck tag to go) I thought now was a good time to recap and review what went right and what could be better.

For starters, some background. I've been deer hunting 30 years now and bow hunting for over 25, but I spent 12 years in the UK not bow hunting so really got out of it for a long while. We move back from the UK to NJ in Sept 2019 so I didn't hunt that fall. I did however have the bowhunting fire ignited. We live at the end of a cul-de-sac, bordered by a nature preserve, a golf course, and a WMA. We also have ~3 acres that sits in the middle of that. I wish I could say that I picked this house for this reason, but it turns out that our yard is a natural funnel. The next 3 houses on each side of the street all have fully fenced yards. So for deer to cross the street from the golf course woods to the preserve they have to go around, which means coming through our yard. There is a minor electrical line perpendicular to the street through the back that serves as a deer highway at times. We knew we saw a few deer every time we saw the house of when we first moved in, but it took fall and the rut to show me what it meant. The 3 1/2+ YO bucks really don't live here. I've scoured just about everything inside a mile or two from the house for buck bedding zones and summer territories. I have some suspicions (there is a heck of a swamp in the WMA) but haven't confirmed it yet with cameras (that's this summer). So around the house we get a lot of neighborhood does and their fawns, plus the previous fawns when they are young bucks. I don't shoot the neighborhood deer because we like seeing them. Also, does attract bucks when the rut kicks up, so I want the does to feel safe and want to bed right in the back yard. Suburban hunting at its finest.

8-pt 1.jpg 10 pt 1.jpg

After seeing these two and 3 more decent bucks on the same day one morning on the way to work, I decided that the next fall I was bow hunting again. My dad gave me his old bow and I got back to shooting. I was good enough that at 30 yards I was happy to take the shot, though I had occasional flyers so I tried to limit myself that fall to 25 or less. The deer all pass through the same patch of woods next to our yard to hit the powerline, so I set a permanent stand 20 yards off that. The fall of 2020 was awesome and awful at the same time. I shot a big tall 8 one sunday evening, but he was just a couple yards further than I thought and I passed through right above the brisket and didn't hit vitals. I tracked him a long way the next morning but never found him. I saw him 2 weeks later in the next neighborhood over chasing does. I had some close calls in that stand but not close enough until the middle of November on a cold Thursday evening. My calls wrapped early so I wanted to get ~2 hours in the stand at last light when the does were coming in. I geared on and climbed up, only for the landscapers to come for the year end cleanup. Fortunately, they left with about an hour of shooting light left and not 10 minutes after they finished the deer started coming through. In the distance I could see two stragglers coming my way and in a short 90 seconds they were 60 yards and closing. In the fading light, all I could see on the second deer was white rack. At 30 yards he stopped and the doe kept walking past me. I drew as he started to walk again, hoping he'd come into one of my two shooting lanes. A few seconds later he turned right into the lane I hoped and I shot. Whether it was a flyer or whether he was walking really fast, the lumenock looked back. He made a couple bounces to the edge of my yard and stood there. It was too dark at this point to shoot again so I had to let things happen and watch. He decided to turn back the way he came and walked up the powerline 40 yards and laid down. I thought I saw his head fall over, but couldn't be sure so I slipped out of my stand and waited 2 hours. I didn't need to. I hit the base of the liver and cut all of the main arteries. He didn't know what happened and bled out very quickly. Happy as I was to kill my biggest archery buck ever, that still left me with a nagging feeling though whether I tweaked the shot and got lucky or what happened. Fall 2021 would confirm my fears.

big 7.jpg arrow.jpg big 7 liver.jpg

I shot a lot the summer of 2021. I have an unfinished basement with a 22 yard span that I can shoot in. When the weather was good I'd go out back and shoot from an old ladder stand that was left on the property. I could stretch to 35 yards easily from that stand and I was getting much better. I put on a better sight with smaller pins that better fits how I shoot (the old 0.029" pins were HUGE). I got some new arrows (went down the FOC rabbit hole) and broadheads. I was ready for the season to get started.

new broadheads.jpg

Fast forward to Oct 29th. As I said at the intro, bucks don't start showing up around us until the last week of October or so. You can just about set a calendar by it. So I don't start sitting in earnest in that stand until that week now. There was a weather front coming through on the night of the 29th, so I figured deer would be moving and feeding up. I was right. About 4:30 after some light tending grunts I again see bright white rack coming down the powerline. This time it was a wide, thick 8 (as best I can tell from my picture memory). He was more cautious than the other buck and coming from the opposite direction, but he was coming right down my path to give me a sub 10-yard shot. I got drawn and as he stepped into my lane I shot for a steep quartering away shot that I expected would pop out right below his heart. The arrow had other ideas. In my haste and used to shooting 20 yards in the basement, I put my 20 yard pin on him and hit high and forward. The arrow got about 10" of penetration and stopped. The arrow was practically vertical as the deer ran off, but I thought I would find him. Surely that hit vitals. There was decent blood for the first 40-50 yards, then less and less. At 200 yards it was pinheads and around 400 yards in the blood entirely stopped right around the edge of the property I could search. Remember that stormfront? That's about when it opened up and ended up being the remnants of a hurricane, so a couple hours later all sign was gone. After conferring later with a dog tracker, he thinks it was steep enough that the scapula directed it almost straight down and away from the vitals. I've replayed that shot in my mind and on a target many times over since and I think he's right.

A couple weeks later we had a similar spell of warm weather and a storm coming through, this time I was going to hunt the back side of it. I went to a public land spot where I knew some does were moving through. At this point in the season I was open to shooting any legal deer. I snuck in while it was still blowing a gale and got set up on the edge of a thicket. About a half hour later a spike snuck in through the thicket at 20 yards. I had no shot given the thickness and he was jumpy in the wind. He started coming to me and then would turn away. He finally settled and had a defined path. I ranged a birch log right at 35 yards and was ready. He came out right there but was dead away so I waited. What I didn't notice was that he made a few steps away before he turned. When I shot, I watched my lumenock disappear in his armpit, but only just. When I got to the shot site, there was a LOT of white hair. There was good volume of blood, but it was all fresh muscle blood and it quickly disappeared about 40 yards in. I followed the pinheads as far as my permission would allow me, and even a little further until it completely stopped. The next visit to the site revealed what happened. He was actually at 40 yards when I shot, so my 35 yard pin was well low. I had a couple of other miscues last season between my first saddle sit and setting up in too open of a tree (got silhouetted) and another morning where I was halfway climbed down and disassembled when a huge 6 came through at 25 yards. I had dropped my bow rope and couldn't get to the ground in time to get it. To say last season was a downer would be an understatement. I considered whether I really wanted to keep archery hunting after that. Two deer, back to back, not recovered, and 3 of 4 over two seasons was a pretty poor track record. I didn't hunt much in December and not really anything in January. By February though, I had made up my mind that I needed to right the ship. I spent some time on some new public land looking at trails, trees, etc and picked a few places. I made a plan to get the bow tuned to me which turned into my finding a great used bow that I got tuned to me. I shot a lot in the summer and stretched things out to 50 yards on a target. The flyers were gone and my 30 yard groups went from just acceptable to cutting vanes when I shot the same spots. At 50 on paper I was holding 5" groups (not that I am going to shoot a deer at that range). I felt good coming into the season.

Last edited:
Our season in this zone opens early (2nd Sat of Sept) but we have earn a buck rules until October. Of course you know what happened next. The first sit in one of the public land trees I scouted was 'fruitful'. One thing I didn't forget how to do with 12 years out of the game was find game. It was just the wrong game this time. This guy stuck around for about a half hour and at at his closest was at 11 yards looking away. A different day and he was smoked. But things were looking up for prospects in new areas.

BR 4 pt 1.jpg

Given that close encounter, I thought for sure I had found his core area. It was hella thick so he wasn't going anywhere. I just needed to shoot a doe and get back to him before someone else did. We get 4 buck tags through the year here, and I'm not looking for big mature deer at this point. Sure, I'd love to shoot a 5 1/2 year old 10 point every year, but that's not my ambition. By the house I'm waiting for bigger bucks since I know they run it, but on the public lands around, a legal adult deer that gives me a good shot is getting it. About a week later I decided to sit another of the areas I scouted. It was a beautiful Sept day and I was in a long sleeve t-shirt and jeans. I snuck in and set up in the middle of a thicket. I had just pulled my bow up and was farting around with getting situated when a doe appeared at 40 yards. I didn't even have an arrow knocked yet! Of course she was at my 6 o'clock, so I did a quick stand up and turn around move on the predator XL platform. I guess I was back to treestand hunting. She came out at 30 yards, but my nerves weren't ready for it yet, being the first deer I wanted to shoot this year, so I let her keep walking. Fortunately, she turned and started down the trail that would bring her to ~10 yards. She gave me plenty of time to burn some adrenaline and when she ducked under a branch on the trail I drew. She was behind some branches and I was going to wait another minute, but then I realized that I had practiced this shot time and again all summer after last year's debacle, and there was enough of an opening to put it through for a clean slightly quartering away shot. I aimed for the exit and did a fine job. The arrow clipped a speck of the shoulder blade going in and lodged in the base of the offside clavicle joint on the way out passing through a lung and top of heart. The bone stopped a passthrough, but she was down in less than 10 seconds and 20 yards.

sept 2022 doe 3.jpg

After that doe I was flying high and full of confidence for the season. It was only september and I had one on the ground already. Surely things were turning around. On top of that, the camera by the house was starting to get hot. I've never used cameras before this season but a friend gave me a cheap one so I threw it out there to see what comes through. Among others, this guy started coming through middle of the night in mid-october.

Oct 16 2022 8 pt.jpg

He was as late as 5:15 AM (shooting light an hour later) and getting later. I saw him once at 3 PM at 70 yards, but he wanted no part of me. We had an unfortunately timed guys trip for the weekend around the 3-7th of November which is the most prime time for this stand area. Of course the stand didn't disappoint. The morning I was leaving there was a new buck under my stand as I was getting in the taxi to the airport. I had a 7 Am pickup and was a couple minutes late. I think he looked up as I shut the car door. Of course the next evening the target tall 8 came in at last light.

wide 7 2022.jpgtall 8 2022.jpg

When I saw the pictures on my return, I was excited and deflated at the same time. I had missed my chances. On top of that, over the next week (and even since then) the does have disappeared. Ordinarily I would see a dozen most nights in the neighborhood. Now its 2-3 every 3 days. I knew that this stand was done so I went back to the early season stand where I saw the 4-pt. Its a major thick area along a stream that works as a corridor and bedding zone. It had been 15-20 mph winds for a week and this area is a protected valley in the lee of the hillside. Trusting my scouting, I went back to the same tree figuring the deer would be pushed into this bottoms for shelter. I had a doe cross the road into that lot on my way driving there, so I was hopeful I could get ahead of her and up the tree before she came in. Alas, that wasn't to be so I sat the whole afternoon. With about 20 minutes of shooting light left, 3 does came out of the thickest area possible at 25 yards. I hadn't prepped the area for a shot in that direction so I didn't have a shot. The smaller one in the lead took to a high trail away from me and I was really starting to get worried. I was at full draw for 2 minutes trying to find a hole to shoot through at the big one. I had to let down and not a minute too soon. After a seconds arm rest the big doe turned down my trail. I drew as she went behind a bush and she popped out at 12 yards, except she was hard quartering to. She needed 3 more steps to be broadside but she got distracted by the other two does and decided to do a 180. It was a steep quartering away now and I let the arrow loose. Like the last doe, the arrow penetrated about 10" and stopped. I watched her bounce away gushing blood with the lumenock glowing but never heard a crash. Since it was dark now, I dropped my gear in the truck and started back with a light. I went to the impact spot and couldn't find blood?!? Since I knew where she went i looped around and found a modest trail, nowhere near commensurate with what I saw coming out of her. I texted a buddy to come help look, but after another 15 yards it suddenly picked up. Another 5 yards later it became a stevie wonder trail. She made it 50 yards or so in all and crashed down the hill, arrow still in place.

doe 2 2022.jpg

After gutting her and then later looking at the butchers with good lights, I figured out what happened. My aiming point was good. It could have been further back and higher, but was still good enough at mid-body (ignore what looks like the entry above, the deer was twisted). The arrow hit the deer exactly when the broadhead main blade was pointing at the deer. As it started down her side, it cut skin for a couple inchesand it was held out by the first rib it contacted, though it cut through the rib cleanly. The tip then entered before the next rib and the other main blade cut that second rib as it passed. The bleeder blade cut a nice triangle between the ribs showing this path. All of that is to say that it cut a huge hole in her side at first which is what I saw from the stand, but it only cut the right third of her heart and stopped at the breastbone. Once her heart got pumping and the cavity filled a little though, then the bloodtrail opened up. I was thankful for the broadheads on this one as it did a lot of work going through.

doe 2 2022 ribs.jpg

I was pleased with myself again. My scouting paid off and my gear choices came through when plan A wasn't the reality. Sure there were some improvements on my end possible, but a deer on the ground in 20 seconds and 50 yards is still a recovered deer.

We can shoot unlimited does in this zone but with the secondary rut ongoing and a piece of public land I hadn't touched yet, I thought why not have a sit. I figured saturday morning might have some deer moving through, but I'll go out Friday afternoon and set a tree so I didn't have to carry steps or platform in the morning. This was the same property where I messed up on the wide 6 last year getting down from the tree. I picked out a big old pine because it had plenty of back cover for me and squeezed my way in. The deer come out of the thicket and run a particular trail parallel to it and almost every trip I've gone to this property I've seen deer there. I was hoping a big doe would maybe come through friday evening, but in reality it was an observation sit and prep for saturday. Pick a cliche. "best laid plans?" "First sit, best sit?" Just as the sun dipped over the hill I heard a deer moving about 75 yards away so I grabbed my bow. He popped out at 50 yards and I could see rack, but wasn't sure what. If it was a spike it was a big spike so I decided to take him if he came towards me. He crosses the fire trail and headed my way, but I had no idea that he was going to do what he did. He made a beeline for the trail in front of my stand. In 30 seconds he crossed 30 yards and stopped behind a pair of oaks to let me draw. I settled on my window and he took the three steps I needed for a perfect broadside 18 yard shot. He had no idea I was there so he made three bounces at the shot and stopped. He managed to walk another 15 yards and fall over in plain sight. Not my biggest buck but it was a perfect shot, a clean kill, and a result of the hard work I had put in this season and off season.

six pt 2022.jpg

six pt 2022 3.jpg

We still have 2 months to go officially. I have some areas to scout and I'll do that with quick evening hunts- might as well, right? I can shoot bucks or does in 2 weeks with the winter tags so I don't have to be too choosy. I may have some gear upgrades this off season to make things smoother (lighter sticks or a better way to carry them). All in all though, I am counting this season a success. Thanks for reading along.

Back