• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Seat belt webbing and thread type/size?

sojourner

I have recently finished restoring/tuning a consew 206rb4. I have run out of webbing to practice with.

Now I am at the point where I plan on making a 2 panel saddle like the wraptor, wraith, recon, as a first project with my consew.

I tend to obsess a little over safety, and with the saddle build, it is no different.

I am about to order 2” polyester seat belt webbing. I am obsessing over what thread to acquire and use. My first inclination is to use T135 bonded polyester to sew the webbing. Before I make the purchase, I am interested in what size and type thread is being used for this when one is not constrained on thread size / type due to sewing machine.

I am familiar with the thread strength calculations and pattern to use. I am most interested in the best thread to use with 2” polyester seat belt webbing.

Thanks!

I have used v92 and 138 bonded polyester and both have worked well. Thread exchange is where I get them. The only thing I use v69 thread on now is crosgrain. I tend to use the heaviest thread possible now that I have machine that will handle it easier.

I have used v92 and 138 bonded polyester and both have worked well. Thread exchange is where I get them. The only thing I use v69 thread on now is crosgrain. I tend to use the heaviest thread possible now that I have machine that will handle it easier.

Thanks. V138 bonded polyester it is. Now to choose the source and color.

Once ordered, I’ll update where I purchased and details of purchase. Maybe that info will prove helpful to someone.

Thanks. V138 bonded polyester it is. Now to choose the source and color.

Once ordered, I’ll update where I purchased and details of purchase. Maybe that info will prove helpful to someone.
Use the V138 (it’s also called tex 135) as long as your machine can handle it. I prefer Amann polyester. As mentioned above the thread exchange .com is the best place to purchase from.

If you don't mind a suggestion, and if you don't already have it, upgrade your tension plate to a 2 tension knobs plate. I got the suggestion from Jamie and have not looked back. Makes things so much smoother with 138 thread. Here's one I found that should be an exact fit for your machine.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

If you don't mind a suggestion, and if you don't already have it, upgrade your tension plate to a 2 tension knobs plate. I got the suggestion from Jamie and have not looked back. Makes things so much smoother with 138 thread. Here's one I found that should be an exact fit for your machine.

I appreciate a suggestion, especially from you. That looks like it is for a 2 needle machine. How would I route the thread my single needle consew 206? I am very close to trying that out, I have noticed that it felt, to me, I had to crank the upper tension down pretty far to get decent stitches with v69 bonded nylon on a nylon strap.

Again, thanks!

Tagging [mention]jhunter13 [/mention] As he has a consew too and he may be interested.

From what I have seen, it routes like this which is basically how it routes on the Juki walking foot with 2 tensioners..

aeb0da492c032ad76854e1e70bd0cf59.jpg
2d8533191eea9cfc0bacffc36380d294.jpg

Im.also assuming this is the machine you have. I could be way off brother!
782584dfe748bae8e96d9fa99e7b10a7.jpg

You had mentioned what pattern to sew. I usually do a box stitch. If it is going to be stressed from just one direction, then I use the multi "v" design. I also use V92 thread.

I have posted this many many times but it is worth reposting for those sewing a saddle for the first time. I'm sure you may have seen it before.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

You had mentioned what pattern to sew. I usually do a box stitch. If it is going to be stressed from just one direction, then I use the multi "v" design. I also use V92 thread.

I have posted this many many times but it is worth reposting for those sewing a saddle for the first time. I'm sure you may have seen it before.

Appreciate it. I have read that a bunch of times, but like you said, definitely worth a repost for sure.

Thanks!

I placed an order for Amann serabond 135, 90 and 70from Wawak.com

Comparison for 135 thread, Wawak is definitely cheaper per yard.

Thread exchange $12.89 / 750 yards | 0.0172 / yard
Wawak $18.50 / 3,000 yards | 0.0062 / yard

I ordered some 2” polyester seat belt webbing too.

Once I get them and try the thread on the webbing, I’ll share more info.

I use 138 bonded polyester for my saddle builds. I’m assuming your machine takes 135x17 needles. I use a titanium coated size 22 needle and my needles seem to last a lot longer than the non-coated ones. They didn’t cost too much more when I bought mine either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use 138 bonded polyester for my saddle builds. I’m assuming your machine takes 135x17 needles. I use a titanium coated size 22 needle and my needles seem to last a lot longer than the non-coated ones. They didn’t cost too much more when I bought mine either.

Good to know about the titanium. I have 135x17 Schmetz needles, not titanium though. Thanks.

I did buy the schmetz needles in various sizes in 135x17
Then I made a second trip to grab additional stuff from seller
He had groz beckert needles (about 8 packs of 10) in size 23.

I have heard that both are good.

Only experience with the schmetz needles and sgt knots v69 bonded nylon on some straps. Seems OK to me.

I ordered the thread 2 days ago and received it yesterday.
One day turnaround, that’s impressive.

Now I wait until the sailrite order comes in with the 2” polyester seat belt webbing.

I’ve been using groz beckert needles and have been happy with them.

So I went back and looked at my needles. They are the groz beckert. I haven't ordered any in a year and assumed I was using schmetz. I use those on my serger.

Back