• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Seed ticks ate me up

PastorKen

Public Service Announcement: Last Friday I hiked a few miles on public land, scouting and checking cameras. I had pant legs tucked in socks, long sleeves, and sprayed down wit h bug spray. But I still got hundreds of tick bites. Some of them may be chiggers. Seed ticks are tiny. Bites are all over my body but worse on lower legs. I’ve tried all kinds of treatment and may go to the doctor yet. But I think I’m getting better. Here’s what I learned.
Treatment:
1. pull ticks off with tweezers ASAP.
2. Use alcohol on bites
3. Take Benadryl orally
4. Take cool/cold shower with lots of soap/shampoo
5. Hydrocortisone cream on worst areas (not for use on large areas of skin
6. Calamine lotion everywhere else
7. 20 minute hot bath soaks with epsom Salt as needed

Prevention next time:
1. Use DEET or Permethrin
2. Wear rynoskin. (On sale now at https://www.sportsmans.com/search/?text=rynoskin)

I won't go in the woods much up here when it's warm because of the ticks. I've been on antibiotics to many times. If I do go in like for turkey in the spring or in the late summer to set cameras my turkey camo is permethrin treated. My every day lite hikers are treated every 3 or 4 weeks, and that's for use in the yard.

100% use Permethrin...

However, if you forget, this is a GREAT application for Duck Tape (always have it with you). You can unroll a square, and dab the ticks with it. They stick like a mouse on a glue trap. Works wonders 'in a pinch' and if you ran out of or forgot Permethrin...

I will buy 4-5 cans of Permethrin just so I'm not relegated to keeping up with a single can. I'm prone to misplace things from time to time ...at least according to my wife. Where are my keys? Where's my wallet? Have you seen my knife? But I digress...

If they are Chigger bites you can try soaking in an oatmeal bath (can get at local drug stores)...its temporary but helped me one time. I despise all bloodsucking creatures! Best of luck to you

I can’t believe someone walked into an August woods with no Permethrin......
I've never had much of a problem before. I'd never even heard of seed ticks until I was scouring the internet trying to figure out what they were. But it shouldn't happen to me again. I posted this primarily out of concern for others who might be at risk and not realize it.

Sawyer Permethrin and Backwoods Deet (if you’re not as particular about scent) are about the best hunting advice I ever received. That, and “go where the deer are” lol.

Buy concentrate permethrin from wherever and mix your own. That bottle should last you a few seasons. Much cheaper than buying sawyers, and just as effective. I have yet to get a tick scouting this summer, or during turkey season. And we more than likely hunt the same public spots. My ratio is 2 ounces per gallon if I remember correctly.

Buy concentrate permethrin from wherever and mix your own. That bottle should last you a few seasons. Much cheaper than buying sawyers, and just as effective. I have yet to get a tick scouting this summer, or during turkey season. And we more than likely hunt the same public spots. My ratio is 2 ounces per gallon if I remember correctly.
This is valid. I had a reaction to the petroleum in some concentrates, haven’t been so unlucky with Sawyer. It’s definitely more expensive, each is effective. If you’re not as baby-soft-skinned as I am ;) this is the way to go.

Had a lease in Ky last year and I've never seen the chiggers and ticks as bad as they were there. Got absolutely ate up with chiggers on my legs and lower abdomen. Ticks weren't quite as bad as I was able to pick them off. The best stuff ive found is Picaridin on the skin, tick spray on the ankles and calves and permitherin on the clothes. Creates a barrier and did not have one one tick or chigger on me.

d1234c14ec17405fecf3e03241788170.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Permethrin on the clothes and Picaridin on the skin.....works every time.

We have chiggers bad where I live and I can walk across a huge grown up field and come out with only 2 - 3 bites. You can't prevent them all.

I’ve taken deer at East Fork, Caesar Creek, Stonelick, and Shawnee State Forest.
I live in Fayetteville and go to school at NKU. I've scouted east fork the most extensively out of those mentioned. Haven't been to Shawnee yet, that's a big piece.

LINT ROLLER !!!!!!
Where I live every where I go I’m loaded with ticks and chiggers. I use permitherin on clothes, Tape my pant legs and carry aScotch Brite Lint Roller . if I see a bunch of chiggers or seed ticks on me I immediately use the lint roller.

Back