• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Selecting 150 Kudu Contour v. 150 Samurai Overkill

zurr4013

SH Member
Kudu Contour or Samurai Overkill

Ok so I have everything dialed in and ready for the opener on Tuesday. My quiver currently has 5 arrows and 3 different broadheads. 2 for The 150 Kudu Contour and 2 for the 150 Samurai Overkill are going to be my deer arrows. I have another mechanical for coyotes.

Set up is 680 grain arrow with 71.5 lb 30 inch draw if that makes a difference in choice to some.

So both fixed 150’s fly perfect in the set up. Which one are you going with and why?

Kudupoint will be quieter.

Samurai will be easy sharpening.

Both will kill the desired critters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kudupoint will be quieter.

Samurai will be easy sharpening.

Both will kill the desired critters.

So you only get to nock one at first light. Which one are you going with?

Are all the Samurai that loud or just the sub 200 weight with the holes in them? I noticed that right away today when I shot one for the first time.

Are all the Samurai that loud or just the sub 200 weight with the holes in them? I noticed that right away today when I shot one for the first time.

Typically any broadhead with vents will make noise.

I have that same set up. Tried it out on my designated practice head. It got sharp but is going to be a long learning period to get it sharp in the curve.

Good to know. Mine shows up Monday so I haven’t had a chance to test it out.

I'm running the same two broadheads at 125grs this year. Honestly doesn't matter which one as both are gonna sail clean thru whatever they hit. I plan on blindly grabbing an arrow out of the quiver and letting her eat!

Ive never shot the Samurais, but I did shoot the Kudupoints last year and I was not impressed. Needless to say, I switched and will not be shooting them this year. From what I see with the Samurais, I like them a whole lot more then the Kudus.

Ive never shot the Samurais, but I did shoot the Kudupoints last year and I was not impressed. Needless to say, I switched and will not be shooting them this year. From what I see with the Samurais, I like them a whole lot more then the Kudus.
Sorry to do this but please expand upon the factors that led you to make a change. My first hunt this year was with the Kudu but I have since put the Samurai in the quiver. I test shot both heads about 45 shots and I the Samurai was new sharp again with min effort. I will never be sure that the Kudu will be that sharp again due to the curve.

Sorry to do this but please expand upon the factors that led you to make a change. My first hunt this year was with the Kudu but I have since put the Samurai in the quiver. I test shot both heads about 45 shots and I the Samurai was new sharp again with min effort. I will never be sure that the Kudu will be that sharp again due to the curve.

I think the blade is too thin to utilize the benefits of the single bevel. It basically acts like an Iron Will broadhead, which is fine if that’s what you’re after. To me, the blade has to have a certain thickness to impart the rotation that single bevels are known for. ie. Bishop broadheads and Kayuga broadheads. Plus I like a straight cutting edge for sharpening purposes like you said.

I’m running 150 kudu this year.

Ordered this sharpener for the awkward curves.

So happy I came across this! Ordering one for my Samurai's. Tried a diamond file like the ranch fairy and got it sharp but it's hard to make sure I was getting a proper angle free hand. Want to make sure mine are good to go since they were factory seconds.

So happy I came across this! Ordering one for my Samurai's. Tried a diamond file like the ranch fairy and got it sharp but it's hard to make sure I was getting a proper angle free hand. Want to make sure mine are good to go since they were factory seconds.

He came out with that jig I think after ranch fairy/THP episode. The ones they used in that were same guy. Yeah no way I can pull off the diamond file lol.

He came out with that jig I think after ranch fairy/THP episode. The ones they used in that were same guy. Yeah no way I can pull off the diamond file lol.

Oh man. If yours are anything like mine enjoy! Getting that blade completely level took a while. I got 6 and they were very uneven but perfect now. I bet each head took at least an hour to get an even, consistent edge. The middle of the edge wouldnt make contact on all 6.
I like the kme adjustable sharpener with the auto leveling. Little more expensive but built to last a lifetime.
Dmt makes a good kit that i use with their folding diamond files. I think the full kit with 4 different grits was 80 bucks on amazon and you can use it on bigger knives too. The xxfine grit gets blades ready for a strop quick.

I'm losing my mind. I just realized I said Samurai's and what I meant to say is Massai's. Hopefully that makes more sense. I ordered the one mentioned in this thread which is the Version "C" with the sharpening kit. I hope to use the kit with the DMT file I already have as well. Should make for some sharp heads. I'm shooting the 200gr one.

Back