• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Self filming from a saddle?

I have started to. My tree was so cold I couldn't srew my modified bow hanger into it to put my camcorder on.
I made due with my bridge and tether tail.
Going to buy or make something else.
I actually really liked mounting on the bridge.
As I swing the camera pans with me.Resized.jpg

There is my trial rope bridge double beeline as I didn't want to cut the piece yet. My libeman belt armrest. Both attached by amsteel modified soft shakles.:dizzy:

I found it easier and more fluid than from in a treestand. Causes it’s based centralized as opposed to off to the side as in a stand.

It’s significantly harder to film from a saddle than from a hang on. But alas, I still try

I think it way easier to film from a saddle than a stand. You can use a way shorter arm.

Bigfoot you mighty brave tying that cam up there. I don't wanna risk my 2 grand hanging from a rope.....only my ass!!!!!

Heres my stand setup
ff9680b4948eab0578a88a2e7fbc607a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do any of y’all use a mirrorless set up? I’m going to try self filming this year with my photography set up (Sony A7III). What focal range do y’all use the most in the hardwoods?

Could you filming gurus post what arms / cameras you are using and what you like about them?

Do any of y’all use a mirrorless set up? I’m going to try self filming this year with my photography set up (Sony A7III). What focal range do y’all use the most in the hardwoods?
I use a Sony a6600 with a 18-105mm f4. It’s descent at recording deer from 35-45 yards away but I definitely want to upgrade to a telephoto zoom.

I use a Sony a6600 with a 18-105mm f4. It’s descent at recording deer from 35-45 yards away but I definitely want to upgrade to a telephoto zoom.
Yeah I thought about picking that lens up for my full frame and running it in crop mode. It has power zoom which is handy. The 24-105 is just so pricey. The new tamron 75-180 looks interesting

Ofor I'm using a down bolted fourth arrow camera arm presently with the three arm sections as in the above picture. I have a muddy that I liked for filming but it was just to bulky to pack. I may drop one section of the fourth arrow as its not needed to film from the saddle. As a tree stand guy I was always too short on the arm length to film on the offhand side . You needed super long arms to reach around you and then they become bouncy at full length. My setup runs around 8lbs and I added a second ratchet strap to the bases to stabilize the camera more. Huge pain in the ass for run and gun but I am lucky enough to have some private where I can leave bases mounted in the trees. My only complaint on fourth arrow is the way you attach the shoulder to the base... Huge pain in the ass tryna connect it in the dark and again tryna remove it with frozen fingers. Check out lightning tree arms. a little heavy but unbelievable reach and rock solid.

I might pull the trigger on the lone wolf or out on a limb arm. I’m waiting to see what people think of the lonewolf

Yes the strap is loud THUD. But its a ratchet strap, any ratchet strap is loud. And my setup is heavy...8lbs. I had to add a second ratchet to help hold the base from twisting at full extension. I suppose you could use a cam buckle but I don't think it would be tight enough for my setup. And like I said before I have 10 or 12 presets on our property so I predrill the trees for bolts and leave the bases in the trees. Those two steps makes saddle hunting a breeze. Nothing to carry but the bolts, bow, and camera gear. I think I would even leave the camera bases on public land. Yeah guys steal stands and trail cams but very few people are going to notice a camera arm base 20 ft up in a tree. As a matter of fact I went to pull the bases at the end of the season and I knew where they were and had trouble finding a couple of em!

I might pull the trigger on the lone wolf or out on a limb arm. I’m waiting to see what people think of the lonewolf

I should be getting the camera arm today. I'll let you know how it is. Thinking I'll throw a Manfrotto BeFree Fluid Head on there.

Thanks! Let me know!
Finally got the pocket arm on a tree. It is awesome! I used a fourth arrow run and gun setup last season and hated it. It took up a lot of room in my MR Pop up 18. It was loud, difficult to setup, multiple moving pieces. The pocket arm is light, compact, easy to use, and surprisingly stable. I threw a Sony AX53 camcorder with a Manfrotto BeFree Live fluid head and it was solid. I'll try and put together a video to share with you guys.

Last edited:
Finally got the pocket arm on a tree. It is awesome! I used a fourth arrow run and gun setup last season and hated it. It took up a lot of room in my MR Pop up 18, it was loud, difficult to setup, multiple moving pieces. The pocket arm is light, compact, easy to use, and surprisingly stable. I threw a Sony AX53 camcorder a Manfrotto BeFree Live fluid head and it was solid. I'll try and put together a video to share with you guys.
Sounds like I’ll be getting one before next season

Back