• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Self filming hunts help

Nutterbuster

SH Member
I finally bought a Sony ax33 and a rode wireless lapel mic. Probably also going to get a rode shotgun mic as well. I've been considering trying to film some hunts for my channel but have some questions and hangups.

First, I guess I'd need a tree arm for the saddle and tripod for ground hunting. And a fluid arm. I have a gopro and tether clip for the in your face angle. I kinda would like something like a shotkam for a weapon camera in case it looks like I can't get the shot on the main camera. Any thoughts on other essentials?

What do you guys do for when it rains? I had a fun little shed hunt slash bobcat shoot yesterday that would have made a fun video, but it was drizzling the whole time. I really don't want to put 2k worst of camera gear in the rain.

Is it even feasible to try and film from the ground? Imma be sad if I have to go back to climbing as a default to get away with monkeying with filming gear.

What are some things I need to know that I won't know until I learn them the hard way? Any words of wisdom from veteran filmers?

Shane Simpson just posted a turkey video using a tripod for on the ground hunting for his camera. I'm not a filmer so don't know just throwing something out there

My thoughts on self filming:

1: none of us are heartland bowhunter and people know that. So be happy with non movie screen worthy camera work and continue to do the vlog style videos like you are doing. I think too many guys end up somewhere in-between and nobody really pays attention.

2: audio is the most important- you're good filming with just a lapel mic, people say they love to hear nature, but when it comes down to it they need to hear you. A splitter and a shotgun mic is just going to piss you off and it's one more spot for failure.

For rain just use your phone with a lapel mic and a gopro, even if you don't get a zoomed in kill shot people will still watch and be entertained. Watch Kendall Gray on youtube, that guy had some of the worst camera work, but he's interesting. He's got 1.2 million followers for just being a redneck from Kentucky doing back woods stuff.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Definitely not an "experienced" videographer but I've been lugging a camera around for better than five years. Its only the last couple I've used an arm attached to the tree to support the camera. Before that I had to make a decision whether to pick up either the camera or the bow when a deer approached.

Bottom line is I suck at it from the stand. The issue I have is that, in the heat of the moment, I still have to make a priority decision between trying kill something and trying to catch it on video. For me, its going to take a lot of practice to make the video process more automatic so that I don't need to divert my attention to it fully. My plan for that is preseason sits just for the intent of practicing videoing.

Also for the record, I'm only filming for my own pleasure, the added challenge, opportunity to learn from my mistakes and maybe to share with my hunting buddies. I have no interest publishing for an audience so take my comments for what they're worth . . . not much. :)

Dealing with rain . . . the last two years I have carried either video gear or rain gear. Not often do I carry both. Is it bad that I welcomed a couple of rain days last year just because it lightened my pack a bit?

I use a small panasonic hand held video camera that works pretty well and is light enough I can support it with a pretty rinky-dink DIY self filming arm that I attach to the tree with a ocb strap. The arm and fluid head combined weigh right about a pound.

So I started self filming my hunts (every hunt) two years ago but me and a buddy have been filming our hunts since the 1990s. I think that has helped me transition over to self filming a little easier than for others. Also it's what you want to get out of it right... You want "professional" or raw, barely edited footage like my junk. I'm just capturing the moment and sharing. I'll probably never change but who knows. Just two days ago I was watching footage from 2001 and it's so cool. Anyway...

Arm wise I don't recommend it but I use a cheap copy of the small muddy arm. The head sucks but it gets the job done. I modded it by cutting it in half and making another joint so it really wraps around the tree. My cannon r80 is so light, the arm is stable. I may have to buy the LWCG arm but we'll see. The ground game can be done with a tripod. I can think of two successful hunts that I could have pulled off without my buddy there.

Rain is tough, I really don't do down pours. It is nice to have a camera man for camera duty in the rain... I carry a waterproof bucket hat to cover it with for a drizzle. It fits over it good because I don't find myself ever using my shotgun mic when hunting. You will have to be the judge of that.

One thing I have learned in two years of self filming is I need a longer platform to spin effortlessly, quickly, stealthy, 180 degrees (mostly weak side) with my bow in one hand and my camera in the other. Especially during rut phases. Off a ROS at destination locations etc. you point the camera on whatever side of the tree, pop around and take the shot. Using the LWHC on limbless trees for two seasons taught me I can make weak shots all day on a platform. The HC platform is not long enough for me though. I'm not a tall guy at all but wide and it would of cost me a shot if the buck didn't turn again to harass a doe. I have hunted off a ROS since day one and will continue in situations but I'm not going to lie, for self filming a platform has it's place. That is why this 15 year saddle hunter will be tweaking his system for 2021....All in the name of self filming lol....Hope this helped buddy

GEAR and BEER...Cracks me up every time.

So I started self filming my hunts (every hunt) two years ago but me and a buddy have been filming our hunts since the 1990s. I think that has helped me transition over to self filming a little easier than for others. Also it's what you want to get out of it right... You want "professional" or raw, barely edited footage like my junk. I'm just capturing the moment and sharing. I'll probably never change but who knows. Just two days ago I was watching footage from 2001 and it's so cool. Anyway...

Arm wise I don't recommend it but I use a cheap copy of the small muddy arm. The head sucks but it gets the job done. I modded it by cutting it in half and making another joint so it really wraps around the tree. My cannon r80 is so light, the arm is stable. I may have to buy the LWCG arm but we'll see. The ground game can be done with a tripod. I can think of two successful hunts that I could have pulled off without my buddy there.

Rain is tough, I really don't do down pours. It is nice to have a camera man for camera duty in the rain... I carry a waterproof bucket hat to cover it with for a drizzle. It fits over it good because I don't find myself ever using my shotgun mic when hunting. You will have to be the judge of that.

One thing I have learned in two years of self filming is I need a longer platform to spin effortlessly, quickly, stealthy, 180 degrees (mostly weak side) with my bow in one hand and my camera in the other. Especially during rut phases. Off a ROS at destination locations etc. you point the camera on whatever side of the tree, pop around and take the shot. Using the LWHC on limbless trees for two seasons taught me I can make weak shots all day on a platform. The HC platform is not long enough for me though. I'm not a tall guy at all but wide and it would of cost me a shot if the buck didn't turn again to harass a doe. I have hunted off a ROS since day one and will continue in situations but I'm not going to lie, for self filming a platform has it's place. That is why this 15 year saddle hunter will be tweaking his system for 2021....All in the name of self filming lol....Hope this helped buddy

GEAR and BEER...Cracks me up every time.
That's great info. I kinda figured a platform would be useful. I actually just picked up a mission, and may be upgrading my wonderful little badlands reaper to a pop-up 28 to accommodate that and gamers gear. Not looking forward to hauling it all, but it'll be fun to try it and at least I can prove to @swampsnyper that I kill all my deer during daylight hours.;)

That's great info. I kinda figured a platform would be useful. I actually just picked up a mission, and may be upgrading my wonderful little badlands reaper to a pop-up 28 to accommodate that and gamers gear. Not looking forward to hauling it all, but it'll be fun to try it and at least I can prove to @swampsnyper that I kill all my deer during daylight hours.;)

Yeah we need proof!!! There sure will be a lot of editing on your hunts, no doubt! Lmao!!!

[/QUOTE

Oh yeah, carrying all the BS..

For what it's worth, this will give you an idea of what I'm carrying around. Early season I use a Tenzing 1500. 4 Beast Sticks/ROS or the LWHC strapped vertically on the back.

In the pack in order is...

camera arm
metal bottle of water in a sock (noise)
diy camera bag w/ camera and ocb strap
Tether
diy gear hanger strap
KITE
knee pads

Small pocket gets license keys,$ clip, phone, release and gloves if I'm not wearing them, Side pouch has milk weed/dust, knife and extra socks etc..

When climbing up or down the bow is on the pack unless limbs prevent that, then a haul line.

That pack changes to a Tenzing 2220 in october and is needed for winter clothes strapped to the outside.
Technically the 2220 could be used all year and the extra room is nicer...GFriend got me the 1500, so I show her that I use it...

It's a system I could probably setup blindfolded and will continue to use. Those packs make hauling easy. My "other" setup I'll be using seems like it will work well also but I have no time on it yet. I got most of it in february after my season ended so...I'm a deer hunter 1st and a gear hunter a distant second but I'm kinda excited!

Back