• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

sell me on a bow sight

archery_enthusiast

I'm needing to change the sight on my bow and wondering if anyone has any input. I liked my 3 pin, but want to have the flexibility to practice long range. I'm not looking for a 5 or 7 pin so I don't have the excuse of missing because I picked the wrong pin. Also not looking to break the bank. Any models come to mind? Maybe a 1 pin is the way to go but I'm not sure if I will want to have to worry about adjustment when deer are around. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
For what you want, I'd get an HHA sight that is 3 or 4 pins PLUS slides for longer distance. Spot Hogg and others make similar.

You set it so that you lock it at a certain yardage and your pins hit at whatever distance. Then you can unlock and slide down to shoot 80 yards etc with bottom pin.

Single pin slider is the way to go. Depending on your setup, set it at about 27 yards and you are good to go for white tails out to 30 with zero adjustments. You can slide the pin for longer shots and for target practice. I think it is best to keep it simple. HHA are very dependable and tough.

Spot Hogg and Black Gold for durability. The new triple stack from SH is very intriguing. Both companies build a solid site.

3 pin slider I use a black gold White-tail and love it

Is it accurate to say that whether or not the EZV is a good idea for you is in part due to your bow speed/arrow trajectory?

I think I'm pretty sold on the ezv have had a Axt single pin slider and hha for years but a few deer got away at 30-35 between range and slide.

Cruise the Facebook forums and find yourself a used Axcel Armortech. You'll see them mostly in 5 pin but there are 4 and 7 pin models around. They will accept Axcel shades and lenses if you wanna get fancy and they’re sturdy.

I've used the Accutouch and Accuhunter sliders but I’m not sold. They're nice but heavy. I just went on to the Achieve with a 3 pin scope for long range stuff, I even hunted with it. It will break the bank though. The ArmorTech I recommended is a fixed pin, i didnt see the part about you not wanting a 5 pin, sorry. I can do 50 yards in practice ok with the armortech. Anything past that is too much guessing for me. I play at 90-100 with the achieve.

I went from a single pin slider to a 3 pin slider(Axcel Accutouch Carbon Pro) and won't be going back.

No intention to derail the OP's intent with this thread. But I just was reading Petersons Bowhunting and saw an ad for this red dot bow sight mount and system. What do you all think of this? Its pricey but what isn't nowadays. Seems like it may be a solution for the guys that don't like peeps etc. Not sure what everyone's thoughts or experiences are with it or about it. The red dot looks to be made in Japan which typically equates to a decent optic quality. This is very similar to the Claude Pollington Site back in the 1990's with some upgrades and improvements. On the surface, the system seems robust but I don't own one and have never had a red dot on my bow. I have had them on my deer and turkey shotguns and also a crossbow and they work great. Why not for a compound system?

Adjustable Red Dot Mount

How accurate do you want to be? Mysterious 3rd axis adjustment? Do you like the single pin slider idea? I think most sights these days are built well. I think you just gotta decide what options you want and how much coin you wanna spend.

Back