• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Setting up on beds and oak trees, early season pa

caddis75

Hey all. Last winter, I did some scouting and found a corner of a piece of state game land that had a lot of beds, fresh scat, and tracks after a snowfall. I figured I'd look at that spot again yesterday, curious about what I'd see. The beds still seemed fresh, and there were fresh scat and falling acorns. Around 3:30, I saw about five deer walk below me across from me towards private property, too far to get a good look through the heavy brush. I'm off Monday, and the winds will be westerly and south-westerly. My car is parked off on the right. I'm unsure if I should bother this area or hunt it on Monday. If I do, I'd probably set up below the beds this time, closer to my car. What do you all think?

* The black lines are heavy trails through the beds. Private property is at the bottom of the map. Thanks.

fullsizeoutput_2287.jpeg

In Pa I would assume that's a doe group you located, early Oct the mature Buck in the area will be a far distance off of those beds somewhere where there is thick cover and still gives him access to the acorns in the area, if thats not his preferred food source currently its a crap shoot if he's anywhere near them. In my experience they distance themselves until about columbus day and then you may find rubs and such where the local Buck starts getting closer to his favorite girl, that contact will increase gradually till about halloween. So basically I'd find places on the map with favorable topo and any kind of edge cover and start there. I'd be paying attention to how that doe group uses that area and looking for a possible November rut stand as well. Good Luck.

Thank you. Yes, it was a doe group. Saturday, I set up below the beds as more of a scouting opportunity to learn their movements. The wind was favorable all day. Two fork bucks walked by me; I need an antlerless tag for forks in PA, and I messed up the stupid pink form. On my way out in the dark, I spooked two more deer. This is my second season, so it's nice to consistently see deer, even though I still have a lot to learn. I appreciate your reply. Also, what did you mean by favorable topo? Thanks.

Your current spot sounds like it’ll be a good place to hunt after Halloween. The infamous “pink envelope” lol. What general area of the state are you hunting? I hunt the National Forest throughout Oct and then I switch to the family farm in Washington county in November so I’m lucky enough to have access to two pretty different areas, both with good opportunities.

In regards to favorable topo you’ll want to find any topo that helps create cover and/or gives that buck an advantage with his eyes or nose. Depending on where you hunt in Pa it could be SE facing mountain in the ANF, a drainage ditch between some agricultural fields in some of the flatter farmlands, or a swamp or wetland in other areas. Look for current and historical buck sign in the current area your hunting and try to find the ends of that line, one end will be the doe group and food source, while the other is where he’s bedding in Oct, the thickest and nastiest areas in most instances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. I live in SE PA, so sgl 52 is the closest to me. I fly fish a lot and tried my hand at hunting in Bald Eagle State Forest, but it's 4 hours from me, and also, it's so big I didn't know where to start. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

I agree that these oaks could be decent most of the archery season. I always like to find those areas and scout them throughout the season. If you can find an early season scrape mark that spot as it might turn into a great late October/ November area

How are you guys hunting these oak flats early through mid to late season? Especially during the early season…. If you go in super early and there is adjacent ag fields are they just hitting the oakes going back to bed in the am and going out in the pm? I’m always concerned I’m gonna bust every thing out trying to get in as you never know 100% if they will be in them or not.

Thank you. Yes, it was a doe group. Saturday, I set up below the beds as more of a scouting opportunity to learn their movements. The wind was favorable all day. Two fork bucks walked by me; I need an antlerless tag for forks in PA, and I messed up the stupid pink form. On my way out in the dark, I spooked two more deer. This is my second season, so it's nice to consistently see deer, even though I still have a lot to learn. I appreciate your reply. Also, what did you mean by favorable topo? Thanks.

Just an FYI - Unless you are a junior or senior hunter, those fork bucks you speak of are protected. You can't use a buck tag or a doe tag on them. You might want to brush up on the antler restrictions. Don't want you to get pinched by "Ranger Rick".

How are you guys hunting these oak flats early through mid to late season? Especially during the early season…. If you go in super early and there is adjacent ag fields are they just hitting the oakes going back to bed in the am and going out in the pm? I’m always concerned I’m gonna bust every thing out trying to get in as you never know 100% if they will be in them or not.
I most likely would not attempt to hunt it in the morning during early season. That generally results in bumped deer for me. Sounds like a great pm spot though if you can get out without disturbing the ag field.

I most likely would not attempt to hunt it in the morning during early season. That generally results in bumped deer for me. Sounds like a great pm spot though if you can get out without disturbing the ag field.
I wasn’t very clear regarding the location of the oaks to the ag. I’m talking more about oaks close in on bedding not anywhere near pm ag.

Sorry can't offer any advice other than you might want to edit the lat/long out of your post (bottom of picture) before random googlers find your spot. I know how competitive it can get in PA sometimes, not sure how much you care about "protecting" your hard work

Back