• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SH Investigation of YT Saddle Failure

elk yinzer

SH Member
This popped up in my youtube algorithmz. He said his saddle broke!? No other details. These kind of things always put me on edge, curious if there is any information out there as to what actually happened?

Only other commentary - good for him to bounce back so quickly (pun intended). But completely unecessary merp on the deer he shot.

This popped up in my youtube algorithmz. He said his saddle broke!? No other details. These kind of things always put me on edge, curious if there is any information out there as to what actually happened?

Only other commentary - good for him to bounce back so quickly (pun intended). But completely unecessary merp on the deer he shot.

There's another thread here on this now. You can probably find it on latest posts. In the comments on that video, he replies to someone and clarifies that an old lineman's belt broke that he should have replaced. That's very different than harness.

Kind of concerning that a lineman's belt can be close to breaking and you not really notice it. Good reminder to check your equipment. For myself, it is also a good reason to continue making my own lineman's and tethers from high quality rope from known vendors that aren't going to send you rope from Home Depot. You can make a lineman's lanyard and friction hitch for 20 bucks, no reason to not switch them out every few years.

It is really hard to see how anything could just break. I'm sure most hunters on this site use equipment that is so over rated that it seems impossible to snap for any reason. I mean we are talking thousands of pounds of support on the line for our butts.

There's another thread here on this now. You can probably find it on latest posts. In the comments on that video, he replies to someone and clarifies that an old lineman's belt broke that he should have replaced. That's very different than harness.

Kind of concerning that a lineman's belt can be close to breaking and you not really notice it. Good reminder to check your equipment. For myself, it is also a good reason to continue making my own lineman's and tethers from high quality rope from known vendors that aren't going to send you rope from Home Depot. You can make a lineman's lanyard and friction hitch for 20 bucks, no reason to not switch them out every few years.

Thanks. Good info, exactly what I was looking for. I figured there was already a thread but I tried a few different searches and nothing came up.

It is really hard to see how anything could just break. I'm sure most hunters on this site use equipment that is so over rated that it seems impossible to snap for any reason. I mean we are talking thousands of pounds of support on the line for our butts.

Exactly. I trust my equipment but there's always a weak link in any system and given all the rapid innovation over the past few years and proven lack of testing by industry leading vendors I do sometimes worry about being a human guniea pig.

The saddle way really does place full faith in the equipment and most of us aren't including redundancies. Any documented failures are even more paramount to investigate for that reason.

Just doing my due diligence into the matter. I consider this case closed for now conclusion another instance of likely operator error.

Exactly. I trust my equipment but there's always a weak link in any system and given all the rapid innovation over the past few years and proven lack of testing by industry leading vendors I do sometimes worry about being a human guniea pig. Just doing my due diligence into the matter. I consider this case closed for now conclusion another instance of likely operator error.

The climbing/arborist world tests their stuff (ropes and carabiners) and it is certified. I trust that. And I trust my ability to tie knots and follow directions. I trust nylon webbing and obviously strong stitching that isn't moving. But that's where the trust stops.

The climbing/arborist world tests their stuff (ropes and carabiners) and it is certified. I trust that. And I trust my ability to tie knots and follow directions. I trust nylon webbing and obviously strong stitching that isn't moving. But that's where the trust stops.

Yeah QC is my biggest concern. The materials less so, but in the final assembly process anything sewn, spliced, buried, welded, glued, whatever all it takes is one hungover or stressed production man or machine for it all to go sideways.

Back