• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SHIKAR Aiders

skyjacker

SH Member
Post ideas on aiders here. Anyone tested Amsteel directly tied in the aider hole? Is there any wear on the Amsteel? Amsteel is about the only thing I can think of currently to attach and still be able to stack them.

I have a couple of aiders I am going to try out.

I made this one with 7/64 Amsteel and a washing machine hose. Adds 2oz per stick and ~20” in height.

44AB73EC-C0DF-4C57-8D42-37ACDFC78AC7.jpeg

Then I ordered these two from backwoods mobile.

The two step I am going to try to use for one sticking.

The other aider is a CAYG/Swaider type.

6DFD17B9-8991-4726-B30A-D45119A5240D.jpeg
38B85B07-A9AD-4697-AF1B-0842DA056242.jpeg

I have a couple of aiders I am going to try out.

I made this one with 7/64 Amsteel and a washing machine hose. Adds 2oz per stick and ~20” in height.

View attachment 25005

Then I ordered these two from backwoods mobile.

The two step I am going to try to use for one sticking.

The other aider is a CAYG/Swaider type.

View attachment 25006
View attachment 25007
Has your wife seen this picture? :flushed::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: Pretty sure mine would shoot me if I attached a stick to a decorative column in the house .

Here's what I've come up with for Amsteel. Although, I'm thinking wire cable might be the way to go.
c98cdcbfadfa559c7403ca687280ee09.jpg
220180712b8c2312188a8da36d4156ce.jpg

Really liking that 2 step aider. How do you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@enkiss you are not worried that the amsteel will start to get cut from edge of the hole? I was thinking of doing the same but thought over time it will wear ? Right now I’m using that hole for a small loop to hand stick from my saddle for climb.

I just recently received my shikar’s and holy moly, the standoffs are sharp. If I had a inside column, they would have torn it up, and my wife would have then torn me up! Braver man than I.

I am just going to use a CAYG Aider / Swaider. Keep it simple and similar as my muddy pros.

@enkiss you are not worried that the amsteel will start to get cut from edge of the hole? I was thinking of doing the same but thought over time it will wear ? Right now I’m using that hole for a small loop to hand stick from my saddle for climb.

I am not to concerned. Probably something to keep an eye on.

With that said. I hate aiders and I am waiting a set of 22” Shikars to come and not sure if I will put the aiders on.

I am not a fan of using aiders and thought about bringing in 6 shikar sticks instead of 4 and a CAYG aider. Not sure if I will do that. I can use the muddys and a CAYG aider. So that will translate to the same with Shikar.

I am not aggressive with aiders with step stride. Standard double step on top and bottom and 17-1/8” stride length. My aider will be 18-7/8”. This gives me similar step spacing. Also, I can, in a pinch, descend without the aider.

Weights I have are 1 lb - 9.5 oz for a stick (double step on top and bottom, standard 17-1/8” step spacing).

And 1 lb - 11 oz for stick with Tethrd mini versa strap.

That is quite impressive!

7f7044254bde073f8eaaeabdf5c69a42.jpg
869ec30ffbd448862a3a795c7dd2594f.jpg
cd5368ddc64f5ae6f331cc6ad820784d.jpg

I’m not really an aider guy either, but I’ll use a 1 step fixed on the first 2 sticks. But I like a comfortable climb rather than a stressful climb. I’m gonna try a cable aider on the bottom 2 sticks. I think 15-18’ is a reasonable expectation. We will see when the weather warms up.

I’m not really an aider guy either, but I’ll use a 1 step fixed on the first 2 sticks. But I like a comfortable climb rather than a stressful climb. I’m gonna try a cable aider on the bottom 2 sticks. I think 15-18’ is a reasonable expectation. We will see when the weather warms up.

I don't have a set of Shikars, I'm going to run LWCG mini-sticks. I really liked the idea of the Versa-aider, however, because of the single step, I would pretty much need to run 2. Then I was thinking about amsteel similar to @zulater1990. However, I really like the idea of the cable aiders. Watching this thread with interest, and really like the links to some alternatives.

I hate aiders also. I'm willing to put one on the first stick though (not as sketchy a few feet off the ground). Thought about getting the 22" SHIKARS but you only gain (22-17.125)*4 = 19.5 inches for four sticks. A single 22" Aider on the bottom stick would cover this. With all that said cable aiders seem to make the most sense.

I hate aiders also. I'm willing to put one on the first stick though (not as sketchy a few feet off the ground). Thought about getting the 22" SHIKARS but you only gain (22-17.125)*4 = 19.5 inches for four sticks. A single 22" Aider on the bottom stick would cover this. With all that said cable aiders seem to make the most sense.

19.5” is almost 2 feet.

19.5” is almost 2 feet.
Four 22" with a 24" stretch between sticks will get you to 17.3 ft. 20" will get you to 16.6 ft. And 17.125" will get you to 15.7 ft. 22 inch with double steps folded are 31.8 in long. I passed on those because it's almost as long as a full size stick at that point. I can deal with the height issue with a couple aiders if the height is needed. There's nothing anyone can do to get them to pack smaller than they already are.

Back