• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shooting both ways?

Funny you mention that – I had a buck sneak up on me last year and caught me off guard. Since then I practice shots with my non-dominant eye, for another just-in-case scenario. I'm honestly more worried about losing my fingers than the aim part of it because there's no muscle memory for placement of the opposite hand.

I shoot a both both left and right handed. I am right handed and shoot best that way but I am good to 20 yards left handed. I have shot one buck left handed and one doe left handed. It comes in handy when they sneak up on you.

I've shot a buck and multiple rabbits lefty! The rabbits were sitting still and I didn't want to spook them (one video of this on my YouTube channel) and my buck was tearing up a terribly placed mock scrape that I couldn't get a normal right handed shot at. Dropped that buck, btw...

I shot a doe last year at my 5 o'clock position. My Hickory Creek mini has a forward left side grip and a rear right side grip. You can't put your left hand on the back right side grip and your right hand on the forward left side grip since the string will intercept both hands. I put my right hand on the right back grip with trigger and I held the end of the buttstock in my left hand and sighted through the scope with my left eye. It worked great. I didn't want to twist in the tree because I thought the deer would see me move.

I do. Took practice and it takes me a bit longer to get the sight picture....but it's a big advantage if you can do it to minimize movement

I shoot rifle with both left and right hand. Buck and Doe came in together all weird on me last year. Couldn't move in the heater body suit like I needed so lefty it was. The Marlin 30-30 don't care which hand you use as long as you pull the pew switch. It took em both out.

Anybody out there shoot their crossbow left and right handed? I shoot both ways, and never have to move my feet...

Out of a saddle, indeed I do! With a scope and shooting less than 30 yards, it was easy for me to get up to speed doing this.

And as you said, no messin around stepping around the tree to get a RHS shot.

Sure it feels a lil weird at first, but just take a deep breath, relax, and go with it.

The second deer I ever shot was lefty. I was sitting with my back against a tree hunting with slugs. A doe just appeared on my weak side. If I repositioned she would have seen me at less than 15 yards. That 3 inch slug found it's mark. From that day on I have practiced both eyes. Righty is still my go to though.

I've never tried but I know I should....so u reverse the weapon in your hands and u are now using ur non dominant eye to aim? I shoot both eyes open with everything I hunt with so maybe that help shooting opposite?

I've never tried but I know I should....so u reverse the weapon in your hands and u are now using ur non dominant eye to aim? I shoot both eyes open with everything I hunt with so maybe that help shooting opposite?
I swap hands. So a rifle that usually sits in my right shoulder pocket fits in my left. My left trigger finger is on the trigger, and my right hand supports the barrel. But, I do not shoot both eyes open if I'm going lefty. I'm right eye dominant, and even though I shoot both eyes open normally, I just can't do it if my left eye is behind the scope. I can't "tune out" my right eye like I can my left.

I honestly shoot probably half of my deer left handed from a stand. The first deer I ever killed with my hickory creek fell to a left-handed shot too. Once you get comfortable with it, it's awesome. The only thing that sucks is I can't work a bolt left handed to save my life, and with a pump or auto you can wind up with brass in your face. But one shot is usually all I need or will get.

I’m right-handed and left eye dominant. Shoot lefty most of the time, but right if the situation calls for it. It’s a handy skill to have.

Back