• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shooting Tab Choice?

What tab from Big Jim's Bow Company

• Total voters

gcr0003

SH Member
I currently shoot with a glove but I would like to try a tab. I shoot split (not up for debate in this thread) that is what I shoot for now. I already have to buy some things from ole Big Jim so I figured I would go ahead and try one of the tabs he has. What would you go with and why? I would prefer if you had experience with the brand or generally the material. Thanks in advanced.

Also are the tabs sized for the thickness or the length or both sizes of your finger. For instance if I have large hands but relatively skinny fingers should I go with a large or would a medium be a better fit. For reference a large glove is the right length for me; however, there is some slop around the fingers.

I currently shoot a Wing Archery Red Wing Hunter Recurve, #44, 58" AMO, drawing 29.5" or so...

Ok, if you really prefer a SPLIT FINGER tab not listed and not at Big Jim's that I just have to try, no worries. I am all ears, let me know what you got.

1626798482126.png
1626798525999.png
1626798588391.png

Last edited:
I have always shot a calf hair tab and for the last several years have shot the black widow calf hair tabs. I have used both the split finger and the three under tab as I used to shoot split finger but the last two years have shot 3 under. The calf hair tabs will not last as long as a Cordovan tab, I replace my tab about every other year. The reason I keep shooting the BW calf hair tab is because they are soft and I can get my hand buried into my anchor point better. I have tried a couple times to switch to a cordovan tab but, it always feels 'awkward' and feels like the tab is keeping my hand too far from my face and I can't get a repeatable anchor. I'm sure it's something I could figure out if I stuck with it but, the BW tab just feels more natural so I end up switching back to it.

I have been shoot with the Bateman for about 25 + years.
I remove the rubber spacer.
I tried gloves and did not like the feel.
One advantage of a tab, is if I am using glove mitts I can still use the tab.

That is not a split finger tab, not available at big jim's, and not on the list! 3 strikes and you're out!

I may make another tab thread that just asks what everyones favorite tab is, but I tried to narrow this down to split finger and one of the few options at Big Jim's which is where I am doing some other shopping. You could have at least recommended a split finger tab, there is already a thread about split finger vs. 3-under :sweatsmile:

Ok, if you really prefer a SPLIT FINGER tab not listed and not at Big Jim's that I just have to try, no worries. I am all ears, let me know what you got.

Bateman, but removed the spacer and replaced the elastic with paracord and a cord lock. Also use the fingerhole model. Size is generally based on width of three fingers. You can always trim for both length and width with sharp scissors.

That is not a split finger tab, not available at big jim's, and not on the list! 3 strikes and you're out!

I may make another tab thread that just asks what everyones favorite tab is, but I tried to narrow this down to split finger and one of the few options at Big Jim's which is where I am doing some other shopping. You could have at least recommended a split finger tab, there is already a thread about split finger vs. 3-under :sweatsmile:
You have a Rod Jenkins 3 under tab image and I was only skimming. I edited my post for you. Sorry for the offense.
AAE Elite off list and not on your preferred vendor site

You have a Rod Jenkins 3 under tab image and I was only skimming. I edited my post for you. Sorry for the offense.
AAE Elite off list and not on your preferred vendor site
No offense taken, just tongue and cheek playful banter! I know there are probably some better options out there. Also they only had stock photos but had split finger as an option.

Do the Jenkins tab. Will lock down better on your finger than the bungee style and Velcro just sucks. When I use to shoot heavier bows I would use a sealskin tab snd a sams tab that was great. Now they just sit in my drawer in my man cave. I shoot bare fingers for the last 25 years and ain’t going back to a tab. I get a cleaner and consistent release since your a lefty if you need a tab or want to try before you buy I got a pile

Last edited:
Do the Jenkins tab. Will lock down better on your finger than the bungee style and Velcro just sucks. When I use to shoot heavier bows I would use a sealskin tab snd a sams tab that was great. Now they just sit in my drawer in my man cave. I shoot bare fingers for the last 25 years and ain’t going back to a tab. I get a cleaner and consistent release since your a lefty if you need a tab or want to try before you buy I got a pile
Ok I purchased a Jenkins tab to try out. It came highly recommended from a couple buddies of mine as well. If I didn't have such thin fingers I might have considered shooting barefinger, but I aint that tough.

Ok I purchased a Jenkins tab to try out. It came highly recommended from a couple buddies of mine as well. If I didn't have such thin fingers I might have considered shooting barefinger, but I aint that tough.

Haha, took the time to create a poll and then chose the option with the least votes. :)

Just kidding, never shot one but, it looks like a good tab.

Might as well wear a glove.

And definitely not worth the $ in my opinion. I could buy two for the price of one.

Might as well wear a glove.

And definitely not worth the $ in my opinion. I could buy two for the price of one.
I'll be making my own soon enough, and I agree not worth the money.

Haha, took the time to create a poll and then chose the option with the least votes. :)

Just kidding, never shot one but, it looks like a good tab.
You know how people are, they want opinions but at the end of the day they are going to do what they want, even if it doesn't make sense. I do appreciate everyones input. Thanks!

I was deciding between the bateman and the jenkins. I have skinny non meaty fingers and if the material isn't thick enough my fingers hurt shooting. I thought the calf hair one would be too thin. We shall see. I can always buy more. I was told I will likely have to try them all anyway.

Back