• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shooting through paper - as a tool for form

tmattson

Is shooting through paper a good tool to work on form?
In particular, can you paly with pressure point on fingers, string deeper in finger, closer to tip of finger, canting bow, etc. while
shooting through paper and evaluate tears in paper for feedback? And if so, 10 yards good starting point, 6 yards, other?
Or is this just going to drive one crazy.

How well tuned are your arrows to start with?
I did a lot a paper shooting when I made my heavy arrows. Took a while of tinkering to shoot bullet holes but even after my arrows were dialed in, I would still get an occasional tear. Only thing that I could figure caused it was a breakdown in my form.
Gotta start with tuned arrows.

Have some test wood arrows, taking my time tuning them. Been using paper tune methood as a starting point, per maker of the arrows. Wood arrows already seem to be a different animal. Got all winter to play, just soakong up as much info as I can and applying it with practice, lots of shooting in basement up to about 15 yards. So far all paper tune has been 5-8 yards. Just going to take lots of experimentation to nail down what works for me.

Have some test wood arrows, taking my time tuning them. Been using paper tune methood as a starting point, per maker of the arrows. Wood arrows already seem to be a different animal. Got all winter to play, just soakong up as much info as I can and applying it with practice, lots of shooting in basement up to about 15 yards. So far all paper tune has been 5-8 yards. Just going to take lots of experimentation to nail down what works for me.
"Wood arrows already seem to be a different animal." What other arrows have you been shooting? Remember, every time you change the diameter of a shaft, you are essentially changing the amount of the bow's center shot. I've been surprised at just how the tiniest amount I change center shot effects spine. Wood shafts for example are almost twice the diameter of soda straw carbons. So hypothetically, you could have a wood shaft and a carbon shaft with the same static spine, and they would each tune and shoot differently out of the same bow.

And it would be highly desirable to have an arrow 100% recovered from paradox a few feet in front of the bow. Ashby says his arrows are straight within a couple feet (and that's with his tiny A&A fletch), but I can't seem to get mine to straighten out that fast. Mine take about 5 or 6 yards. So keep distance in perspective when paper shooting, and penetration issues on very close range shots. I'm pretty sure most rigs will penetrate better at 10 or 15 yards than they will at 5 yards.

I can shoot about 13 yards in my basement. Last winter 99% of my shooting was done down there, lots and lots through paper. Even without much distance shooting, this spring I shot as well as I ever have and my grip was pretty well settled too; broadheads flew well.

Back