• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

short review: nock on back strap release is worth the price

raisins

SH Member
All,

My glasses, bump on my nose, and big jaw and cheek bones means my form is a bit different. I cannot get comfortable with a handheld release (thumb or back tension) without really making my draw length too long. So, I've always had to use wrist straps, which have caused me to sometimes have target panic (pin locks under target). I don't have this on 3D or deer though because there is no visible dot.

I ponied up and bought the resistance activated back strap release. In one week of shooting, I am experiencing no target panic and I can tell that so long as I practice correctly that this will be a huge help.

The head on this thing is long though compared to my Scott release. So, while I was spending money, I got a Carter Like Mike that is similar in size. That way, I can set my draw length and d-loop up and practice with the Back Strap and then hunt with the Like Mike (not sold on the idea of a resistance activate release in a deer stand).

They aren't exact but here are pictures of the Back Strap on top of the Like Mike and then another one vice versa with the hooks lined up.

From the factory, it came set to break at 16 lbs, which happens to work perfectly for my bow. So, I can't comment yet on how easily and well it adjusts.

It's weird the first few shots, but you quickly learn to trust it.

The Back Strap is the one with the longer trigger.

IMG_5729.gif

Attachments

• IMG_5730.gif
    IMG_5730.gif
    121.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
They claim that one of the features of the Backstrap was that you could adjust the tension so that you could use it like a normal trigger release. Does it not really work that well as a straight up trigger release if you dial down the tension?

They claim that one of the features of the Backstrap was that you could adjust the tension so that you could use it like a normal trigger release. Does it not really work that well as a straight up trigger release if you dial down the tension?

I haven’t tried adjusting it because it was set perfectly from the factory for resistance.

The trigger acts like a safety and has tons of travel and during that take up there is hardly any weight. If you set the resistance really low then as soon as you press through that light trigger with 1/4 inch travel it should fire. That sounds like a crappy trigger to me.

Tension or a hinge is a great training tool. I have not used the Nock On but do shoot a hinge most of the year. The technique and process really helps in the execution of good form. So it does sound like it’s worth the money if it’s helping you.

I have been considering one of these. I have been shooting a thumb release for about a month now and I am enjoying it, but, I do like a wrist strap too. I like the security of a wrist strap... I LOVE the crisp release of the adjustable thumb release. My desire for that type of crisp release in a wrist strap lead me to find the back strap release.. I really like the idea but I can't make myself pony up the money....yet.. I am really hoping to find a used one for a price I can get my money back on..

I have been considering one of these. I have been shooting a thumb release for about a month now and I am enjoying it, but, I do like a wrist strap too. I like the security of a wrist strap... I LOVE the crisp release of the adjustable thumb release. My desire for that type of crisp release in a wrist strap lead me to find the back strap release.. I really like the idea but I can't make myself pony up the money....yet.. I am really hoping to find a used one for a price I can get my money back on..

carter like mike

is a two stage trigger with zero creep

Is the trigger adjustable?

Yep, you can set it light or heavy and I won't say ZERO creep (I'm not sure that is possible even with a thumb, if you really measured it with a fine instrument)....but much, much less than typical to where most people would declare it a zero creep trigger. Also, the weight of the bow doesn't affect the trigger pull weight. You have to fold the hook over and then push in a little cocking tab, which might be weird on hunting followup shots or if you accidentally hit the trigger on stand and have to reset it.

I'd look up some reviews. They are often called the best index release ever made. They are rolling out a new version, so if you want a new one but original version, then you might want to look into existing stock right now before those are all sold. I did that because I knew the older version would be great and the newer one coming out somewhat an unknown quantity (and I could always pick up a new version later and sell the old version).

The like mike is the only normal index release that I've been able to shoot with back tension (other than the back strap which is resistance activated) by hooking the finger and then pulling through the shot.

I called Carter with a question, and I ended up speaking with the son of the owner and he gave me tons of good info.

Is the trigger adjustable?

From what I've heard, some of the other Carter index releases can also be set to very little/no creep and a heavier/lighter trigger. I wanted the Like Mike because I knew it would work well and it is also the same size as the Back Strap.

If that isn't a big deal to you, then maybe call Carter and someone there can steer you.

Yep, you can set it light or heavy and I won't say ZERO creep (I'm not sure that is possible even with a thumb, if you really measured it with a fine instrument)....but much, much less than typical to where most people would declare it a zero creep trigger. Also, the weight of the bow doesn't affect the trigger pull weight. You have to fold the hook over and then push in a little cocking tab, which might be weird on hunting followup shots or if you accidentally hit the trigger on stand and have to reset it.

I'd look up some reviews. They are often called the best index release ever made. They are rolling out a new version, so if you want a new one but original version, then you might want to look into existing stock right now before those are all sold. I did that because I knew the older version would be great and the newer one coming out somewhat an unknown quantity (and I could always pick up a new version later and sell the old version).

The like mike is the only normal index release that I've been able to shoot with back tension (other than the back strap which is resistance activated) by hooking the finger and then pulling through the shot.

I called Carter with a question, and I ended up speaking with the son of the owner and he gave me tons of good info.
that sounds great! I am going to try to get my hands on a used one first.. Thank you for the feedback! Good luck this year!

Back