• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shot distances

Loopwing

SH Member
I keep reading about crossbows grouping out to 60+ yards. When I got into crossbows about 5 years ago the advice I was given by lots of experienced people was NEVER take an actual shot on a deer past 40 yards with a crossbow. The reason was, the sound of the crossbow being shot will pass the arrow around 40 yards and the deer will jump at the sound of the shot negating any hopes of an ethical shot. Shooting and being around a lot of crossbows being shot I have learned there is NO quiet crossbow. I have "heard" some almost silent compound bows and would have no problem taking 60+ yard shots, with practice.
So...what is everyone's take on this? Should I not limit my shots to 40 yards, because I have passed on a few 50 yard shots that I had a very steady rest on.

I would say the information you were given was good. Of course there will be times when the conditions would be bad enough that 40 is too far and other times when the conditions are perfect and the animal relaxed that 50 might be ok. It’s definitely been done. People throw out hard numbers because when most of us have to make a judgement call it’s poor judgment

I wouldn’t shoot past 40 yards with what’s available today. Deer move - the single biggest variable in whether you hit where you’re aiming. Got nothing to do with bow being loud or quiet. If you are willing to accept the decreased odds of success shoot as far as you like. But I wouldn’t kid myself thinking a quiet or fast bow will overcome the lack of precision of having a moving target...

Sounds like we are all on the same page. I don't practice farther than I plan on shooting. I practice 400-500 yard shots with my 30.06 and I am confident enough in the right conditions to take those shot. I have not taken 150 yard shots because the wind was gusting to 30mph when the deer finally gave me a broadside. I practice 15-40 yards with my crossbow and I am confident with those shots. I agree also there are so many variables that come into play before pulling the trigger. First and foremost is the deer calm or on point? Passing through or feeding? Then wind, brush, and the exact angle my projectile will take through the body. Ribs, leg bones, twigs, branches....

Sounds like we are all on the same page. I don't practice farther than I plan on shooting. I practice 400-500 yard shots with my 30.06 and I am confident enough in the right conditions to take those shot. I have not taken 150 yard shots because the wind was gusting to 30mph when the deer finally gave me a broadside. I practice 15-40 yards with my crossbow and I am confident with those shots. I agree also there are so many variables that come into play before pulling the trigger. First and foremost is the deer calm or on point? Passing through or feeding? Then wind, brush, and the exact angle my projectile will take through the body. Ribs, leg bones, twigs, branches....
400-500 with your .06????? Wow.....you hand loading? I'm comfortable there with my 300 Weatherby mag or 300win mag but any.06 I've owned has never been that consistent at that yardage...or even 200

Yeah, all day long and twice on Sundays. I put 2 down 2 years ago in their tracks 397 and 395. Hornady 165 grain SST. Conditions have to be exact before I even consider the shot. No wind and feeding, not passing through.

As @kyler1945 stated, my biggest concern with long bow shots (any bow) is the time it takes the arrow to get there. If the animal moves/is moving at all it can completely change the point of impact.

Several years back I shot a buck that was walking relaxed at 15yds with my bow. I had the pin right behind his shoulder and made what I felt was a solid release. He was only 15yds away so I didn't try to stop him, I just let it go while he was walking. When I recovered him the point of impact was about 6 inches behind where I picked my spot. That should have been a gimme shot and I couldn't figure out how I had missed that bad. Now, years later I have spent more time considering the effect of arrow travel time and realize that I didn't miss my point of aim, it just moved that 6 inches.

Given that my bow at that time shot about 250ft/sec, it would take .18 seconds to travel the 45ft (15 yds) to the deer (45/250 =.18). If the deer was moving at the leisurely pace of 3ft/sec then he would cover more than 6 inches between the arrow release and impact (3 x .18 = .54 ft). By the way, if you think 3 ft/sec isn't a leisurely pace try walking normal steps while only taking one every second . . .

It seems in our head that the arrow is there instantaneously at that distance but in reality that's not the case. The bad news is it only gets worse as you get further from the target.

As @kyler1945 stated, my biggest concern with long bow shots (any bow) is the time it takes the arrow to get there. If the animal moves/is moving at all it can completely change the point of impact.

Several years back I shot a buck that was walking relaxed at 15yds with my bow. I had the pin right behind his shoulder and made what I felt was a solid release. He was only 15yds away so I didn't try to stop him, I just let it go while he was walking. When I recovered him the point of impact was about 6 inches behind where I picked my spot. That should have been a gimme shot and I couldn't figure out how I had missed that bad. Now, years later I have spent more time considering the effect of arrow travel time and realize that I didn't miss my point of aim, it just moved that 6 inches.

Given that my bow at that time shot about 250ft/sec, it would take .18 seconds to travel the 45ft (15 yds) to the deer (45/250 =.18). If the deer was moving at the leisurely pace of 3ft/sec then he would cover more than 6 inches between the arrow release and impact (3 x .18 = .54 ft). By the way, if you think 3 ft/sec isn't a leisurely pace try walking normal steps while only taking one every second . . .

It seems in our head that the arrow is there instantaneously at that distance but in reality that's not the case. The bad news is it only gets worse as you get further from the target.

exactly right. And this doesn’t even take into account the extra 1/10 or 1/8 of a second for you to decide to release and then do it. That could add several more inches to the “miss”.

400-500 with your .06????? Wow.....you hand loading? I'm comfortable there with my 300 Weatherby mag or 300win mag but any.06 I've owned has never been that consistent at that yardage...or even 200

I practice longrange with my 3006 and have taken several deer at 400yds. If you know your drops it’s no different than archery accept they can’t jump the string.

I practice longrange with my 3006 and have taken several deer at 400yds. If you know your drops it’s no different than archery accept they can’t jump the string.
Same concept applies though. At 400yds with a velocity at 3400ft/sec it will take more than .35 seconds to get there. Same leisurely paced deer moves more than a foot between trigger pull and impact.

Same concept applies though. At 400yds with a velocity at 3400ft/sec it will take more than .35 seconds to get there. Same leisurely paced deer moves more than a foot between trigger pull and impact.

Your math seems good but I haven’t had one take another step. Maybe they are calm and more inclined to just look instead of make a drastic movement. Idk

I have not had the pleasure of personally meeting many people who can rifle hunt at 400+ yards or bow hunt at 40+ yards. I have met many who could make the shots on paper though.

They both fall into the "if you can do it, you're not asking folks if you can do it" category.

I guess ultimately it's a personal choice. What's the saying? "A man has one freedom: the freedom to do as he pleases. And he has one responsibility: the responsibility to accept the consequences." Would you rather shoot your shot and risk a miss or a wounded animal? Or would you rather hold off and try again tomorrow, knowing ahot opportunities are precious? @kyler1945 knows my answer. ;) I will fling boolits and errors. I'm here to kill, not kiss. If I think I can connect, I'll try.

But I don't think I can connect past 40 or 200 yards with an arrow or bullet. 'Cause I've tried it.

The Math

50 yards at 400 fps ..... .37 seconds ..... speed of sound is .13 giving .24 seconds of reaction time

Maybe a little more mass and a COC broadhead to get the job done at 50

50 yards at 350 fps ..... .42 seconds .... speed of sound is .13 giving .29 seconds of reaction time

300 yards at 2985fps* ..... .30 seconds
*That is my 06 with 165 grain SST's,

It takes a loooong time for the bullet to arrive at 300. If the buck is moving you better be leading him.

A crossbow is still a short range weapon it's not a gun. I like to still take shot 25 yards and in.
Me too 30 max maybe. This is exactly why crossbows aren't cross guns. Another archery tool to keep hunters in the woods. Respect the game you're after and have fun. Close shots will lead to better results......no brainer..LOL

I keep reading about crossbows grouping out to 60+ yards. When I got into crossbows about 5 years ago the advice I was given by lots of experienced people was NEVER take an actual shot on a deer past 40 yards with a crossbow. The reason was, the sound of the crossbow being shot will pass the arrow around 40 yards and the deer will jump at the sound of the shot negating any hopes of an ethical shot. Shooting and being around a lot of crossbows being shot I have learned there is NO quiet crossbow. I have "heard" some almost silent compound bows and would have no problem taking 60+ yard shots, with practice.
So...what is everyone's take on this? Should I not limit my shots to 40 yards, because I have passed on a few 50 yard shots that I had a very steady rest on.
Even with crossbow speeds, i wouldnt shoot passed 35 yards. Had a doe i shot last year wheel around and duck and got her in the front. Was aiming for her right shoulder but shot her in the neck with the bolt travelling behind her left shoulder and down her ribs. Still ended up killing her, but would test those waters again. She was at 43 yards and went about 600 after being shot

I had a bad experience few years ago with a 40+ yard shot on my crossbow. A little movement from them = a lot on the pin. I will use my crossbow if out with the kids. But 40 yards only if they are relaxed and feeding. Walking, or on edge. Forget about it. I don't want to go down the wounded deer path.

Back