• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Silencing/camo-ing metal gear

If you use a silencing tape, then be aware it is possible to get it in the works of a carabiner or other item and cause it to malfunction.

Deer do not care about the color of small items like this. They do care about glare in their eyes, but you would be hard pressed to use one of these items to reflect light in a deer's eyes even if you were trying to do it. I don't use any metal ascenders, but have eliminated noise with the platform and carabiners by modifying my setup and how I store it in my pack and my order of operations when climbing.

Thanks for the advice, guys. As raisins said, deer probably don’t see it, but other than a little dull red color on my bow, everything else in my setup is nearly invisible and I’ve been wanting to put the finishing touches on my hardware. If I get my act together in time I’ll show you what I come up
with when I’m back out there next weekend.

—Blacktail

this stuff works great on bare aluminum by chemically changing the surface, it is used commonly on ar uppers/lowers to cover up scratches

i am not sure if it works on already anodized aluminum, i know it would not on painted aluminum

anodization is similar to controlled oxidation with color (i think anyways), so the aluminum black works on oxidized aluminum

it is only surface deep, but i'd probably mask off the area anyways

of course, this doesn't do anything for quieting them

Stealth strips now makes tape and LWCG has slayer tape that I haven't used. I was just taping my hand ascender and retaping a hero clip this evening. Depending on tolerances different carabiners and devices will have issues with the extra width of the tape (the hero clip won't stow). Test everything at ground level and make sure it still works. I ve had so so luck taping carabiners just have to play around.

Stealth strips now makes tape and LWCG has slayer tape that I haven't used. I was just taping my hand ascender and retaping a hero clip this evening. Depending on tolerances different carabiners and devices will have issues with the extra width of the tape (the hero clip won't stow). Test everything at ground level and make sure it still works. I ve had so so luck taping carabiners just have to play around.

has stealth strips come out with a thinner product?

That's a beal birdie and a petzl hand ascender taped. I haven't taped the carabiner because I don't like the friction with the tape. Just have to be careful with it. I've thought about tying into a device with a soft shackle to eliminate metal on metal but I have never seen that done and don't want to destructively test my own equipment to feel safe with it

Attachments

• PXL_20220822_114742316.jpg
    PXL_20220822_114742316.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 98
Hockey tape. I do it more for sound deadening than anything else but it does come in camo so why not. I make sure to keep it away from the important moving bits though
I thought about using hockey tape. It doesnt stink like some of the camo wrap tapes. Time to did the hockey bag out of the barn.

If you use a silencing tape, then be aware it is possible to get it in the works of a carabiner or other item and cause it to malfunction.

Deer do not care about the color of small items like this. They do care about glare in their eyes, but you would be hard pressed to use one of these items to reflect light in a deer's eyes even if you were trying to do it. I don't use any metal ascenders, but have eliminated noise with the platform and carabiners by modifying my setup and how I store it in my pack and my order of operations when climbing.
yup, besides feeling camo-cool it isnt going to make a difference for hunting deer. Turkeys are a different story. I quit caring about camo for deer hunting especially on small items like climbing/safety equipment and footwear. Just limit movement. I understand noise reasons but it might make you slow down and help in the long run with getting picked out or busted.

yup, besides feeling camo-cool it isnt going to make a difference for hunting deer. Turkeys are a different story. I quit caring about camo for deer hunting especially on small items like climbing/safety equipment and footwear. Just limit movement. I understand noise reasons but it might make you slow down and help in the long run with getting picked out or busted.

A pet peeve of mine is camo flashlights, knives, rangefinders, and GPS units.....small stuff that you don't want to lose.....let's make that easy to lose.

A pet peeve of mine is camo flashlights, knives, rangefinders, and GPS units.....small stuff that you don't want to lose.....let's make that easy to lose.
Yeah! My kids headlamps have this feature where they glow for a while after being turned off- petzl tikkid, the lenses have a glow in the dark coating that gets charged by the light being on, and helps it be located if it's dropped in the woods. All gear should be like that!

yea knives is probably the biggest one. i use blaze orange on mine. lose em in the leaves after field dressing really easily.

Exactly why I've gone to blaze orange for these items. What isn't blaze, has a blaze lanyard on it. Even found some blaze paracord with reflective fibers woven into it to make it easier to find in the dark. Plus, since I'm the only guy I know using that stuff, using it for zipper pulls and whatnot makes my gear easy to distinguish from everyone else's.

Exactly why I've gone to blaze orange for these items. What isn't blaze, has a blaze lanyard on it. Even found some blaze paracord with reflective fibers woven into it to make it easier to find in the dark. Plus, since I'm the only guy I know using that stuff, using it for zipper pulls and whatnot makes my gear easy to distinguish from everyone else's.

nice, if you have a link to that paracord, please PM me

it might make nice trail markers

nice, if you have a link to that paracord, please PM me

it might make nice trail markers
https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...-rope/341301mnpdq/p-1570170509814-c-12173.htm I've also bought it at Walmart and Ace Hardware.

If I were to use it for trail markers I'd probably wrap the ends in a few inches of actual retroreflective tape. The paracord is good for zipper pulls, labeling gear, tarp guy lines, etc., that you're going to see close-up. I'd suggest adding some reflectance to use for marking trails, to make it easer to see at distance.

Back