• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Silencing carabiners

I covered mine with a single layer of Electrical Tape made the connection between the KongDuck virtually silent.

I’m a big fan of heat shrink. Been using it on carabiner for a few years. I did take some “heat” when I mentioned it though. Some feel it can trap moisture and produce corrosion and because it isn’t easily pealed back for inspection it may be “unsafe”. I have zero worries about an anodized aluminum carabiner corroding under heat shrink or moisture getting inside in the first place. IMO a wrap that holds moisture and allows oxygen in would have a much greater chance of being a problem.
Anyhow, I keep the area the bridge contacts uncovered. You can put a ropeman over the heat shrink(quiets rattle) or leave that uncovered too. I also like to stick a patch of stealth strips under the gate to limit the potential of noise when the gate slams shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a big fan of heat shrink. Been using it on carabiner for a few years. I did take some “heat” when I mentioned it though. Some feel it can trap moisture and produce corrosion and because it isn’t easily pealed back for inspection it may be “unsafe”. I have zero worries about an anodized aluminum carabiner corroding under heat shrink or moisture getting inside in the first place. IMO a wrap that holds moisture and allows oxygen in would have a much greater chance of being a problem.
Anyhow, I keep the area the bridge contacts uncovered. You can put a ropeman over the heat shrink(quiets rattle) or leave that uncovered too. I also like to stick a patch of stealth strips under the gate to limit the potential of noise when the gate slams shut.

I have just wrapped mine with camoform tape but I like the heat shrink idea or what about the rubber dip? Then you can make cuts were needed too I would think????

Heat shrinked most of mine. One benefit is it added enough bulk/friction to keep the carabiners pretty much stationary on the Ropeman so it doesn't flop around (obviously depends on the size of your biner).

If using Plastidip just make sure you don't get any on the gate/nose

What and how do you intend on wrapping on a platform? I'm not aware of anything (besides the perch) that you could really wrap with tape.

On a LW handclimber - was thinking the bars that connect to the strap, and paracord for where the feet are.

I began silencing carabiners when I was hanging from an evolution. No matter how carful you were with them they made contact with the paws quite often. Now it’s just to prevent the possibility of causing noise hitting the sticks, bow, release, each other, etc. with them. Doesn’t hurt to be preventative.

I began silencing carabiners when I was hanging from an evolution. No matter how carful you were with them they made contact with the paws quite often. Now it’s just to prevent the possibility of causing noise hitting the sticks, bow, release, each other, etc. with them. Doesn’t hurt to be preventative.

I'm using an Evo and I dipped the paws. Doesn't help much and makes them a bit cumbersome. Probably rip it off tomorrow...

The heat shrink on carabiners is nice tho! If you're going to do it get at least 1/2" I bought some 3/8" thinking it would be a nice tight fit but it's difficult to even get 1/2" around a carabiner.

I bought some camo vet tape from Tractor Supply and wrapped my carabiners this morning. It made a big difference and was quite easy. I'm thinking of wrapping my climbing sticks next, the stuff is really cheap. I obviously can't speak to how well it will hold up.

I'd tried heat shrink as I have tons at work for free but found it difficult to get on.

Back