• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Singer 306w Questions for the experts!

Aaronpaul14

Hey, so my wife picked me up a sewing machine for $15 at the Salvation Army.

It’s a singer 306w and seems pretty solid. One kicker I am finding is that it uses a 206x13 needle. I can only find them in sizes 12 and 14.

I’m not planning on sewing too much just maybe some webbing and some pouches.

I read on a thread that some have gotten a dbx1 needle to “work” in this machine.

Any advice?

Also best place to pick up some thread? Amazon?

Last edited:
Hey, so my wife picked me up a sewing machine for $15 at the Salvation Army.

It’s a singer 306w and seems pretty solid. One kicker I am finding is that it uses a 206x13 needle. I can only find them in sizes 12 and 14.

I’m not planning on sewing too much just maybe some webbing and me some pouches.

I read on a thread that some have gotten a dbx1 needle to “work” in this machine.

Any advice?

Also best place to pick up some thread? Amazon?
I got a DAx1 needle to work in a Singer 281-1 which uses DBx1 needles. Loosen the needle bar and move it up or down until the needle is adjacent to the hook after the needle starts moving up about 1 to 2 mm.

Last edited:
I got a DBx1 needle to work in a Singer 281-1 which uses Dpx5 needles. Loosen the needle bar and move it up or down until the needle is adjacent to the hook after the needle starts moving up about 1 to 2 mm.

Thank you sir! The dbx1 needles will be here tomorrow and I will give that a try.

I’ve got an ocb strap I need to mod for my camera arm.

Thank you sir! The dbx1 needles will be here tomorrow and I will give that a try.

I’ve got an ocb strap I need to mod for my camera arm.
I sewed a cushion cover for my wife's friend today. I am building up brownie posts that I can use once deer season starts. :D

Is this the article you read? If so maybe you don't even need to mess with the needle bar height if the needles are the same size. Just make sure the groove faces the right way.

Here is some more info. 15x1 needles are everywhere. Sandpaper may work to make 206x13.

Here is some more info. 15x1 needles are everywhere. Sandpaper may work to make 206x13.

What is the go to method for running larger spools on the machines? I’d guess it’s buried somewhere in the sewing threads. So I apologize for the laziness

What is the go to method for running larger spools on the machines? I’d guess it’s buried somewhere in the sewing threads. So I apologize for the laziness
I use one like this I bought at Joann's Fabrics. They don't seem to have them any more.
1599668917413.png1599668917413.png1599668917413.png

Here is the thread I was going to order. Tex 70 good for OCB webbing straps?

Selric [3000 Yards / 30 Colors Available] Pack of 2 UV Resistant High Strength Polyester Thread #69 T70 Size 210D/3 for Upholstery, Outdoor Market, Drapery, Beading, Purses, Leather (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAK0EPX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pLowFbHPGYMKJ
That should work well. I use V69 or TEX70 thread for almost everything I don't want to break easily. I sewed the cushion above with it. For saddles, I went to V92 Kevlar for much greater strength. It is probably overkill but it has no downside other than cost.

Thank you. I just watched a video of a lady making a stand similar to that with a coat hanger. Might try that! Got to stick with the DIY theme right?

Thanks again for the help. Should be all set to do some work this weekend.

Back