• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Singer 620

BTaylor

SH Member
So I have one but the bobbin threader doesnt spin so it will not load string. If I remove the bobbin it will start to turn just a hair and locks up. Is it fubar?

So I have one but the bobbin threader doesnt spin so it will not load string. If I remove the bobbin it will start to turn just a hair and locks up. Is it fubar?
One of the plastic gears may be cracked. I have a Singer 640 and had to replace the upper gear on the vertical shaft. If you hold the bobbin case with your hand and rotate the hadwheel with your other hand do they turn indepedently? If so, probably a cracked gear. It was actually easier to replace than I anticipated.

Where do you look for that kind of part for a late 60's machine? Will have to try the turning wheels like you mentioned.

Where do you look for that kind of part for a late 60's machine? Will have to try the turning wheels like you mentioned.
Take the top and bottom covers off and try to determine which gear might be broken. Oil all moving parts. Maybe it is just stuck. They all need oil to run.

Back