• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Single bevel broadheads

Redoak47*

What is the best single bevel broadhead? Plan on getting some was wondering what ppl experience have been and are there any brands to stay away from.TIA

I look for solid 1 piece with a blade design that will be easy to sharpen. If the solid 1 piece it's out of your budget (they are beyond mine) I look for the most robust design, thick blades, and avoid aluminum ferrule. I like the 3to1 blade shape like grizzly or steel force

Went down the rabbit hole. Gonna try Massai 200gr and Grizzlystiks for toal arrah weight of 650gr. Ranch fairy and Dr. Ashby
2afee9a39165d94a9cccaacd5fe022d2.jpg

316d9ec5c5cc89aea44971429fa8e427.jpg

965a071693c9357a9413b47f08ba1843.jpg

3ef612d6791761f50af05fc133ec84b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using single bevels for over 10 years now and I really like them.

I started out with Eclipse singles and they are okay but there is one thing that I disliked. They are basically a single bevel version of the old Magnus style heads, meaning the tip is a 3 ply design.That leading inch or so cannot really be sharpened as a single bevel. The tip portion can be sharpened like a double bev, but not sharpened as a true single.

I switched to Samurai single bevel heads and I like them a lot better. I used the 150 grain for the last few years and I like them but this season I'm building an UEFOC arrow so I'm switching to Samurai 200 grain singles. They are ~3:1 design with straight edges as opposed to the convex edges like the Maasai heads. Straight edge give a better mechanical advantage than a curved blade. "Mechanical advantage" does not refer to a mechanical style Broadhead. It refers to the amount of force that is needed to penetrate. Straight, 3:1 edges need less force to penetrate.
Check out the Ashby reports on the Ashby Bowhunting Foundation site. Dr Ed Ashby has dedicated the last 30+ years to arrow lethality studies and he is a strong proponent of single bevel heads. https://www.ashbybowhunting.org

Is there any charts that illustrate the difference in arrow flight between different weight broadheads?

I'm shooting 100 grain but would like to experiment with 125,150,200. Single bevel is appealing and any recommendations are appreciated, thanks everyone.

I love 200grain single bevel broadheads but will use a 200grain Silverflame as well cause its nasty..i really like the massai ( i want some of the alaskan version thats a solid one piece head like the monarch without the.vents but don't have any yet) , the monarch , samurai , or any 200 grain tanto tipped simgle bevel on sale from grizzly stik.
Ill usually hit up some special they have going like fathers day sale ect.. And get a few different ones to experiment with...i as well am using an e.f.o.c set up & playing with u.e.f.o.c builds ,but once your set up is tuned you can shoot any heavy head and it will fly beautifull unaffected much from a stiff wind .Screenshot_2020-07-24-01-51-18.pngScreenshot_2020-07-24-01-51-44.png

Last edited:
for compound, take a look to kudu broadheads SB, super tough & fly like field points. They can be a little bit tricky to sharpen, but with minimum training and the right tool, you can easily obtain a shaving edge.
KP125C_350w267h.jpg

For trad, I use centaur or cutthroat , centaur shortmag 150 with 75 grains steel adapter is my favorite because of the oversize width causing massive wounds
centaurshortmag.jpg

Is there any charts that illustrate the difference in arrow flight between different weight broadheads?

I'm shooting 100 grain but would like to experiment with 125,150,200. Single bevel is appealing and any recommendations are appreciated, thanks everyone.
Check out Ethics Archery. They have field points for the Ranch Fairy Test kit on exactly what you are looking for. The test kit goes from 100-200 grain at increments of 25.

I've been using single bevels for over 10 years now and I really like them.

I started out with Eclipse singles and they are okay but there is one thing that I disliked. They are basically a single bevel version of the old Magnus style heads, meaning the tip is a 3 ply design.That leading inch or so cannot really be sharpened as a single bevel. The tip portion can be sharpened like a double bev, but not sharpened as a true single.

I switched to Samurai single bevel heads and I like them a lot better. I used the 150 grain for the last few years and I like them but this season I'm building an UEFOC arrow so I'm switching to Samurai 200 grain singles. They are ~3:1 design with straight edges as opposed to the convex edges like the Maasai heads. Straight edge give a better mechanical advantage than a curved blade. "Mechanical advantage" does not refer to a mechanical style Broadhead. It refers to the amount of force that is needed to penetrate. Straight, 3:1 edges need less force to penetrate.
Check out the Ashby reports on the Ashby Bowhunting Foundation site. Dr Ed Ashby has dedicated the last 30+ years to arrow lethality studies and he is a strong proponent of single bevel heads. https://www.ashbybowhunting.org
I prefer the 3:1 style also for all the mechanical benefits but mainly because they are the easiest to sharpen

No charts per se, like a bullet ballistics report, I think you just have to get out there and try with your setup, your poundage, draw weight, etc.
I will tell you that in my experience, up to about 200-225 I don't see dramatic drop off in the arrow from 17-20 in. I think once the momentum accumulates that arrow is moving. Outside of 20-25, say 30, 35 yards, a shot I would likely never take with my recurve anyhow, the arrow has a distinct drop.Sort of like a sinker pitch. Looks great through the follow through and then whammo - hits the target at the bottom or in the dirt. This is usually easily accounted for with practice, but with a low draw weight and a heavy arrow it can look like you are lobbing a softball at the target. My boy was shooting his little bow and tried my griz with 200grain tip, total arrow weight at 651gr. It looks like I could run past the arrow, or under it the arc was so big. HAHA. So you just have to get a few test kits and see how things work with your bow.

Personally, I am really liking the 3:1 samurai style - 1) the mechanical advantage; 2) as mentioned, easier to sharpen to precision, for me; and 3) it's the design that was most used in the Ashby studies. Once you change the dynamics of the broadhead from what was used in the research are you really following the research anymore?

I have been grizzly since they first came out but decide I want to try out a few different out of a couple set ups. I have used Simmons and centaurs basically same design but looking at some Masai since they look nasty. I want big but not to big

I love 200grain single bevel broadheads but will use a 200grain Silverflame as well cause its nasty..i really like the massai ( i want some of the alaskan version thats a solid one piece head like the monarch without the.vents but don't have any yet) , the monarch , samurai , or any 200 grain tanto tipped simgle bevel on sale from grizzly stik.
Ill usually hit up some special they have going like fathers day sale ect.. And get a few different ones to experiment with...i as well am using an e.f.o.c set up & playing with u.e.f.o.c builds ,but once your set up is tuned you can shoot any heavy head and it will fly beautifull unaffected much from a stiff wind .View attachment 30791View attachment 30792
I like the look of those monarchs. Wish those were still available. GrizzlyStik forged heads look tough as nails. I too chose the 200 grain samurais for ease of sharpening.

Back