• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Single stick climbing technique

DannyAttacksTheMountain

Curious who all has tried this method for climbing. And what are the pros vs cons?
It looks like an awesome way to go considering the type of hill/mountainous terrain I typically hunt and carrying four sticks adds up quickly in weight. Only possible issue I can think of before trying this would be getting over branches but that could easily be dealt with utilizing a lineman’s rope. That and maybe it’s a little noisy?
Just wanted some experienced thoughts before I dig deeper into this climbing method.

Thanks all,
DATM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been doing this for about three months now. I use a stacked outdoors stick and a five step aider. To me it is not noisy at all. I do this with the JX3 hybrid saddle
I am so psyched you have the Stacked Outdoors steps. I really like mine. I don't like the noise of the stock buckle strap but I have placed old bicycle inner tube rubber over it to quiet it down. I have been experimenting replacing the stock buckled strap that comes with them with 11mm prusik rope and just boat hitching this rope around the "cleats" of thee Stacked Outdoors sticks and it seems to work fine but I am still figuring out an appropriate knot system for it. I am going to try one sticking this weekend. I have an aider just like the one you posted in your other thread so I'm really stoked about this. Thanks for sharing.

I love the stacked outdoors sticks. The biggest thing I like is there are no moving parts

I’ve started doing the one stick thing and it’s great. I use my lineman’s belt as a secondary tether anyway so getting past branches is not an issue. I am however going back to a strap with cinch buckle because loosening and moving the stick with 7/64” amsteel daisy chain is not super easy.

Emrah

I'm 100% sold on one sticking with my 14" mini stick and 2 step aider. I rappel down. I use one tether that's about 8 foot long (OpLux) with a Beal Jammy cut and tied in Distel hitch with a tender I made from guy line and 1/2" brass tack ring. My second tether used (if I need to get around branches) is my rappel rope with a screw link on the end (that way I don't have to girth hitch all 36' through the figure eight loop tied on the end). System works great. I've used a mini versa strap from Tethrd for the stick strap, I've also used a Lone Wold cam buckle strap. Not sure which I like better. I have ordered a cam cleat just to see if I like that better on the stick. I'll settle on one eventually.

I need to give this a try. It could replace my spurs for the scout/ hunt afternoons. Especially on public...

Im in the same boat. Im looking for a LW cam buckle strap but I also have a ronstan large cam cleat on the way. What would be best rope to use on the cam cleat? Also, how do you remove rope after you rappel if you use a carabiner?

Im in the same boat. Im looking for a LW cam buckle strap but I also have a ronstan large cam cleat on the way. What would be best rope to use on the cam cleat? Also, how do you remove rope after you rappel if you use a carabiner?

Piece of paracord with a small biner on the end. Clip it to that tag end of the rope girth hitches around the tree. After you rappel down start pulling the paracord. It will pull the tag end of the rope all the way through the screw link. Easy. Search some of the one stick threads and videos. Discussed dozens of times.

Cool. Ya, there is soo many different threads about the same things. It gets kinda spread out and hard to utilize the search bar.

I'm 100% sold on one sticking with my 14" mini stick and 2 step aider. I rappel down.

Y'all have convinced me to go whole hog on this method. Already loved the 1 stick climbing with a 15" Helium and coming down was easier than up, but not as easy as rappelling. Ordered the Safeguard and rope and time to play when it arrives. May have some WE steps and some sticks for sale soon, who knows.

Is there an absolute must on cutting the heliums down for the 1 stick method? I just modded a helium with a ronstan cam cleat but it is original length. Also, any advice for attaching the stick to you in case of a drop but in a clean manner as to not get tangled!

Is there an absolute must on cutting the heliums down for the 1 stick method? I just modded a helium with a ronstan cam cleat but it is original length. Also, any advice for attaching the stick to you in case of a drop but in a clean manner as to not get tangled!

Sure, you can 1-stick with a full-length stick, but it's unnecessary weight. You really only use the bottom step anyway in most cases (if using an aider step loop at the bottom). A cut stick is much lighter, which is the whole idea of 1-sticking.

Carry a cheap folding grappling hook on a bit of paracord or strong fishing line, and you can easily pick up a dropped stick (or most anything else).

Anyone know the actual weight savings after cutting helium sticks. Doesn’t seem like much.

Anyone know the actual weight savings after cutting helium sticks. Doesn’t seem like much.

Depends on how short you cut it of course. The typical 24" stick saves a little less than a pound. The packability gain is a bigger part of the benefit of cutting them down. Plus as mentioned you only really use the bottom step, so what do you need three steps for? It may not save much weight, but it packs and handles better.

If you are opposed to cutting your Helium I would recommend finding a single Muddy Pro since they are already short and the cam cleat makes single sticking the bomb. Alternatively you can buy a single Stacked Outdoors stick that is short and light. No cam cleat though.

I one stick climb with a modified api stick with cam cleat, 8mm rope, and single step aider. Sure is nice only taking one stick and being able to climb as high as needed.

To avoid dropping and losing the stick, I girth hitched 1/4 amsteel to the bottom of my single step aider and attached with a caribiner to a molle loop on the back of my saddle. For me it doesn't tangle at all and I dont even notice it when climbing.

Sure, you can 1-stick with a full-length stick, but it's unnecessary weight. You really only use the bottom step anyway in most cases (if using an aider step loop at the bottom). A cut stick is much lighter, which is the whole idea of 1-sticking.

Carry a cheap folding grappling hook on a bit of paracord or strong fishing line, and you can easily pick up a dropped stick (or most anything else).
I just weighed 2 steps and a 7 inch cutoff piece from a Helium stick at 9.6 ounces. Hardly seems worth it when you are carrying one stick.

Back