• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Single stick platform stability

backstrap19

Quick question for all of you one-stickers that use a platform on top of your stick (scout, artisan, etc). How stable is that platform for side pressure and moving around the tree? If I would have used my regular climbing stick (cam buckle) I would have quickly kicked the stick out from the tree while pressing on the side of it. If anyone has any specific experience with the EWO single stick or scout platform, that would be great! I'm wondering if the cam cleat makes a difference in stability. Perhaps those with experience can weigh in. Thank you.

I am running the Shikar-mini. Originally I had mounted the scout to the bottom, as I’ve seen many do. It worked well, as long as I put a separate OCB around the stick just under the cam cleat, which was my plan anyway in order to use a couple of steps in conjunction with its the scout. If I didn’t put the strap, it wouldn’t take side pressure at all but would kick out. For clarity sake, I’m running a cam cleat mounted over the existing versa button hole and 7mm rope.

I moved the platform up to the top and quickly decided I didn’t like it up there on the Shikar Mini. No matter how tight I sat the stick or attached the rope, the top of the stick would pull out away from the tree about 1/2” or so. In my best estimate the really short length of the Mini was a major part of the problem. It allowed too much leverage on the bottom of the stick which caused that standoff to really sink in deep when I tried to stand on the top of that short little stick. I was hoping it would allow me to simply set the stick and hunt without having to always put on the OCB but I have to remember that these little Mini’s weren’t designed for that. I don’t doubt that a longer stick would work much better with the platform on the top and actually be more stable as long as you sat the stick very well.

With all of that, I have switched the platform back to the bottom and just plan on always using the OCB strap and a couple of steps. That combination is very stable and I love the versatility.

I run my scout on the top of the mini. The trick is really pulling straight down hard on the stick after it’s tightened to the tree. Mine doesn’t move if it’s set right.
View attachment 43116
I just ordered the Sh1kar and monarch with a 2 step aider as my entry into the saddle world...can’t wait to play in the yard lol. Do you use anything for getting around the side or just pushing off of the platform? I’m thinking of putting a Wild edge step either side of the tree

I’ve been running a scout on top of my one stick made from EWO, it’s basically the one stick he now sells assembled. I use 1/8 Amsteel daisy chain for attachment and have the scout on the top. Stick is 18” total length. I’ve never felt worried about a kick out or even felt the stick budge.

I am running the Shikar-mini. Originally I had mounted the scout to the bottom, as I’ve seen many do. It worked well, as long as I put a separate OCB around the stick just under the cam cleat, which was my plan anyway in order to use a couple of steps in conjunction with its the scout. If I didn’t put the strap, it wouldn’t take side pressure at all but would kick out. For clarity sake, I’m running a cam cleat mounted over the existing versa button hole and 7mm rope.

I moved the platform up to the top and quickly decided I didn’t like it up there on the Shikar Mini. No matter how tight I sat the stick or attached the rope, the top of the stick would pull out away from the tree about 1/2” or so. In my best estimate the really short length of the Mini was a major part of the problem. It allowed too much leverage on the bottom of the stick which caused that standoff to really sink in deep when I tried to stand on the top of that short little stick. I was hoping it would allow me to simply set the stick and hunt without having to always put on the OCB but I have to remember that these little Mini’s weren’t designed for that. I don’t doubt that a longer stick would work much better with the platform on the top and actually be more stable as long as you sat the stick very well.

With all of that, I have switched the platform back to the bottom and just plan on always using the OCB strap and a couple of steps. That combination is very stable and I love the versatility.

How much pressure to you use on the OCB strap? I would be worried that if not tight enough the steps will move and if tight enough to lock the steps the stick may collapse? Thoughts?

I run my scout on the top of the mini. The trick is really pulling straight down hard on the stick after it’s tightened to the tree. Mine doesn’t move if it’s set right.

Are you using a cam buckle strap? I wonder if the rope/cam cleat is the problem. I also know the tree I was using had some very soft bark. I’ll Definitely try it again.

How much pressure to you use on the OCB strap? I would be worried that if not tight enough the steps will move and if tight enough to lock the steps the stick may collapse? Thoughts?
just enough to stabilize the steps so they’re solid. It’s not quite as tight as I would do it if I was just running the Ring of Steps. At first I was afraid that I would bend the upright shaft but that hasn’t been a problem so far. You do have to set the stick very well first before applying the OCB strap.

Are you using a cam buckle strap? I wonder if the rope/cam cleat is the problem. I also know the tree I was using had some very soft bark. I’ll Definitely try it again.

Yes hawk cam strap.

I just ordered the Sh1kar and monarch with a 2 step aider as my entry into the saddle world...can’t wait to play in the yard lol. Do you use anything for getting around the side or just pushing off of the platform? I’m thinking of putting a Wild edge step either side of the tree
Right now nothing but my knee, but a wild edge or squirrel step would work.

Thanks for the detailed information. I have been looking at the shikar one stick, not the mini. You make me feel a little better about that choice, but you also confirm that it can be not as stable. I'm currently using one Wild Edge step and and ring of steps, and that wild edge step does not move until I uncam it from the tree.

Last edited:
This is the end of two seasons using a Artesian platform on top of an un-modified lone wolf stick using daisy chain webbing. Kick out and stability was never an issue. I never found myself testing the limits of this particular setup any which way I moved around the tree. Happy with it for sure. Going to try the Monarch next.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. It sounds like the stick platform is a viable platform for most of you.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. It sounds like the stick platform is a viable platform for most of you.
Viable platform for sure, however, after attempting a 6 hrs sit this past weekend, I think I’m going to go back to my Predator platform (I’m not spending more money on a Monarch) for longer sits (4 plus hrs) The ability to stand up from time to time without having to hold on to something or make a big movement to do so is a must for me on all day sits. But for half days and going deep, you about can’t beat a one-stick / scout combo

Viable platform for sure, however, after attempting a 6 hrs sit this past weekend, I think I’m going to go back to my Predator platform (I’m not spending more money on a Monarch) for longer sits (4 plus hrs) The ability to stand up from time to time without having to hold on to something or make a big movement to do so is a must for me on all day sits. But for half days and going deep, you about can’t beat a one-stick / scout combo
Would a flat top scout be a compromise to this problem? I"m a ROS guy now, so I already cannot stand unsupported. I feel like the flat top scout would allow somewhere to stand while climbing, which I like the sound of. However, I have not had the opportunity to test any of this, so I will take the word of you folks that have experience over my "imaginary realities". THanks again for the quality input!

Would a flat top scout be a compromise to this problem? I"m a ROS guy now, so I already cannot stand unsupported. I feel like the flat top scout would allow somewhere to stand while climbing, which I like the sound of. However, I have not had the opportunity to test any of this, so I will take the word of you folks that have experience over my "imaginary realities". THanks again for the quality input!

Maybe, but the beauty of the slanted scout is the comfort when sitting or leaning, so I wouldn’t want to trade that just to stand up for a smaller percentage of the time. I think something with both a flat and angled portion is a good compromise, I’m just not going to buy it right now.

I am waiting for mine. It's actually supposed to be here today. My plan is to use three squirrel steps a little higher than my straight scout for different foot positions. We'll see.

I’m using 5 steps plus the top of my stick works really good, you can move around the tree very easy. I’m going to get a scout as soon as I can u

Back