• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit Drag Ideas

LowePro

Hey guys! New to the site and also saddles.

I have a good buddy that has been hunting saddles a while now and he has invested in a tethrd mantis and loves it. He let me play in it for a day and I have decided that I have to get into the saddle game. It was amazing.

The downside is the cost, I just can not make myself pay that much (even though it may be worth it). My mother has $30K worth sewing machines and is I would say amazing.

Kind story short, my buddy gave me a sit drag he had laying around. It’s like new! I’m wondering if you guys have any ideas as far as making mods to it and also if you guys think it is safe to go that route?

Could I use the sit drag with a couple mods alone?

Or should I stack it on top of a rock climbing harness?

If a rock climbing harness is necessary, does any one have any suggestions on best for the money deals?

It would be epic if I could use the sit drag alone really.

Thanks for all who endured this long post!

I would definitely pick up a rock climbing harness. The sit drag is in no way designed to be a lifesaving device. Some of us hunt with them without harnesses, but my life insurance is paid up and high coverage. Haha!

I like the “battle belt” mod some guys are doing for their mantis’. I haven’t done it with the sit drag, because I already have my setup dialed in, but if I was starting from scratch I would probably go that route. Also, I sewed some loops on the bottom of mine for nite ize gear ties to tie sticks and such to.
Also, some mole loops on the side for whatever you decide to add to that.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

A SitDrag that does not need a RCH as a backup is called a Kestrel or a Mantis. If you trust your mom's sewing skills you can definitely make a clone of one of the commercial saddles. There are some ideas here. In short, but the time you make a SD usable without a RCH you may as well have started a DIY saddle from scratch. At that point, the price of a commercial saddle may not seem so bad.

Speaking of BB I added one to my RCH. I played with it a little and it seems cool. My goto setup is the Mantis though so haven't put this through it's paces yet:
1569248730995.png

I have been practicing with a RCH and a Sit Drag. I didn't like dropping the RCH so I could slide the Sit Drag under my Butt. I had a Safety harness that came with my Summit Viper tree stand. This is a nicely made but confusing piece, I put it on , labeled with a marker what each piece was and used it in stead of my RCH. I'd like to some how attach it to my sit drag...any ideas? This eliminates the RCH, plus has over the shoulder straps. The other problem I encountered while practicing in the tree was my Bridge length. I have shortened twice, but it still seems to be in my way when shooting with my bow. Also I should note as an older guy this set up is a little scarey, so I have both a Pressik and a ropeman 1 on my tether. I use them both, overkill I know but don't want to fall. The ropeman 1 has a learning curve to it, the pressik knot has advantages too, and I sometimes leave my LB attached but loose as another safety feature . I'm hunting with Wildedge steps, all thought I have Lonewolf sticks. The LW sticks are easier to set up and climb with, but not as compact as the WE steps. The WE Steps, definiately have a learning curve to them especially when adding their WE Platform. Very cool set up but takes a lot of practice to master, definitely not as simple as my Summit Viper.

I have been practicing with a RCH and a Sit Drag. I didn't like dropping the RCH so I could slide the Sit Drag under my Butt. I had a Safety harness that came with my Summit Viper tree stand. This is a nicely made but confusing piece, I put it on , labeled with a marker what each piece was and used it in stead of my RCH. I'd like to some how attach it to my sit drag...any ideas? This eliminates the RCH, plus has over the shoulder straps. The other problem I encountered while practicing in the tree was my Bridge length. I have shortened twice, but it still seems to be in my way when shooting with my bow. Also I should note as an older guy this set up is a little scarey, so I have both a Pressik and a ropeman 1 on my tether. I use them both, overkill I know but don't want to fall. The ropeman 1 has a learning curve to it, the pressik knot has advantages too, and I sometimes leave my LB attached but loose as another safety feature . I'm hunting with Wildedge steps, all thought I have Lonewolf sticks. The LW sticks are easier to set up and climb with, but not as compact as the WE steps. The WE Steps, definiately have a learning curve to them especially when adding their WE Platform. Very cool set up but takes a lot of practice to master, definitely not as simple as my Summit Viper.

Can you elaborate on how the RCH was interfering with moving the SD? It shouldn’t.

If you’re using the summit harness, how are you tethering it to the tree? Personally, if I were to fall I’d rather be in an RCH than end up dangling from a tree stand harness. I believe I’ll have a better chance at self rescue. I am more familiar with RCHs though.

There is no wrong bridge length, so find the one that works for you. However, also play with tether height.

If you’re going to use a prusik with your Ropeman, the prusik should be above the rope man. A stopper knot at the end of tether is also key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Diamond Alpine Bod Harness in addition to sit drag. Harness has some additional loops on both sides to attach climbing method. Keep RCH attached in addition to your sit drag bridge.

Weight is a concern for me. I wanna pack lite and be able to run n’ gun. I’m interested in the Petzl Tour another member mentioned above. I’ve read about it in past. I have an idea on how I’m going to build my saddle. Adding the mesh that you see in the mantis to extend bottom to cup back of legs more for comfort. Slowly but surely I’ll have a functional safe and comfortable system.

Can you elaborate on how the RCH was interfering with moving the SD? It shouldn’t.

If you’re using the summit harness, how are you tethering it to the tree? Personally, if I were to fall I’d rather be in an RCH than end up dangling from a tree stand harness. I believe I’ll have a better chance at self rescue. I am more familiar with RCHs though.

There is no wrong bridge length, so find the one that works for you. However, also play with tether height.

If you’re going to use a prusik with your Ropeman, the prusik should be above the rope man. A stopper knot at the end of tether is also key.

If I use the SD to lean then it is located just above my RCH and there is no problem. Should I want to sit in the SD, I have to loosen my RCH so much it is now off my waist and can fall to my knees. That's the part I don't like, maybe need to attach it to the sit drag somehow so it can't fall down to my knees. I have a Black Diamond RCH very light weight with extra attachment points. As fo the Summit harness it has 2 sewn in loops I can attach my bridge to, and the bands are 2" wide so it's reasonably comfortable. My prusik knot is located above my ropeman1

If I use the SD to lean then it is located just above my RCH and there is no problem. Should I want to sit in the SD, I have to loosen my RCH so much it is now off my waist and can fall to my knees. That's the part I don't like, maybe need to attach it to the sit drag somehow so it can't fall down to my knees. I have a Black Diamond RCH very light weight with extra attachment points. As fo the Summit harness it has 2 sewn in loops I can attach my bridge to, and the bands are 2" wide so it's reasonably comfortable. My prusik knot is located above my ropeman1

The RCH Belt should be snug above your hipbones. Snug so it should not have the opportunity to slide down. If it can fall off your knees, it isn’t much of a safety backup.

I do not attach RCH to sitdrag, or anything other then myself.

For me, all I have on my sitdrag is some stealth strips wrapped around the loop ends (where the bridge meets) and amsteel blue bridge (locked Brummell on one end, whoopie on the other for adjustability).

For me, the sit drag is only put on at hunting height. I don’t see the need for all the doohickeys/gizmos on it. At height, I have my rch and my bag. Others like to add all kinds of mods to sit drag.

Whatever you do, bakcing it up with a properly fitted rch is highly recommended!

Hey guys! New to the site and also saddles.

I have a good buddy that has been hunting saddles a while now and he has invested in a tethrd mantis and loves it. He let me play in it for a day and I have decided that I have to get into the saddle game. It was amazing.

The downside is the cost, I just can not make myself pay that much (even though it may be worth it). My mother has $30K worth sewing machines and is I would say amazing.

Kind story short, my buddy gave me a sit drag he had laying around. It’s like new! I’m wondering if you guys have any ideas as far as making mods to it and also if you guys think it is safe to go that route?

Could I use the sit drag with a couple mods alone?

Or should I stack it on top of a rock climbing harness?

If a rock climbing harness is necessary, does any one have any suggestions on best for the money deals?

It would be epic if I could use the sit drag alone really.

Thanks for all who endured this long post!
I would try to dial in the sit drag this year with the rch. Then maybe next year look at having your mom make you a saddle. There are a lot of great ideas for a diy saddle on here.

I started out with a diy sit drag and really liked it. If you're sitting, you may want to try putting the top of the sit drag below your hips/belt on the RCH. I would definitely be careful about loosening the RCH that much as it is a safety concern.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Something isn’t making sense here. There shouldn’t be a reason to move the RCH in order to position the SD anywhere. As folks have stated, you can put the SD up at height and it doesn’t interfere. Give it another try, but don’t move the RCH no matter what. I bet you will find a way to get the SD where you want it.

As for the Summit Harness, those loops may be linesmans loops and you may not find them as comfortable when you attach a bridge and hang from them. Even then, I would recommend backing it up by tying the tether on the back to the tree somewhere. Personally I think it’d get in the way and not as safe, so I prefer the RCH & SD to this. Everyone has they’re own way though.

One thing that I have seen that would concern me is the SD’s used without any support around legs (or RH). Having a belt stitched into the SD is great, but I wouldn’t feel safe if for whatever reason, belt buckle fails or potentially sliding out of the SD. Thoughts? Thanks guys

One thing that I have seen that would concern me is the SD’s used without any support around legs (or RH). Having a belt stitched into the SD is great, but I wouldn’t feel safe if for whatever reason, belt buckle fails or potentially sliding out of the SD. Thoughts? Thanks guys

I have tried hard to fall out of a sitdrag and have not managed it. You can flip upside down in it and the tension will hold you. Belts and legstrap are for keeping the saddle in place but do little to actually keep you in the saddle.

I have tried hard to fall out of a sitdrag and have not managed it. You can flip upside down in it and the tension will hold you. Belts and legstrap are for keeping the saddle in place but do little to actually keep you in the saddle.
Thanks man! I’m so looking forward to receiving my SD. I should have it in about 2 weeks. They have been flying off the shelves.

Back