• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit Drag safety thought

Bare with me here.
What if you wore a standard harness, with linesman loops, and had a bridge connected to those THEN had a sit drag attached connected to the bridge with prussic which you could adjust to take the weight off the harness once at height. Make sense?? Clear as mud??? Just thinking you would be secured with a harness while still having the comfort of the sit drag...……. Thoughts????

I can't remember who I talked to but someone was doing the same thing with the DIY fleece. Ran a bridge from the harness linemans loops to the tether to back up the fleece bridge. I'm no expert but since those are all rated loops it should work but I would rather just use the front attachment of my rock climbing harness with a prusik knot to the tether as my backup (what I use). I already had the rock climbing harness so I can understand the 'use what you've got available' mentality if that's what you were going for with the standard harness.

That’s me.
I used a summit harness for there tree stands, I have another one that @denots gave me but I don’t recall the maker. I hunted this way in the fleece saddle
@Erniepower sent me a linesman and I put it in a battle belt about 4 years ago? Most of the time I just hunt with the Ernies linesman and the sitdrag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many people use an RCH with sit drags, fleece saddles or other diy saddles. The setup that many including me use is to have two prusiks on your tether, the top one connected to the bridge of the saddle and the second one connected to the belay loop of the RCH. What is the benefit to the setup you describe?

Many people use an RCH with sit drags, fleece saddles or other diy saddles. The setup that many including me use is to have two prusiks on your tether, the top one connected to the bridge of the saddle and the second one connected to the belay loop of the RCH. What is the benefit to the setup you describe?

He probably has one? Be my guess.

He probably has one? Be my guess.

Got ya, at first read I thought he was talking about using the linesman's loops on an RCH, I realize now he probably means a tree stand safety harness when he said "standard harness"

I have an older seat of the pants harness I use for hanging stands which I trust with my life but I want to go back to saddle hunting. The sit drag guy lives 45 minutes from me so I can grab one of those in a jiffy to get back into it again. Just looking for feedback if anyone has done this and how it works?? I'm 6'-2" and 260. FYI- I had a trophyline saddle years ago but a stinkin crook broke into our lease trailer and helped himself to it :(
I miss that saddle...……….

it will work great. I think the sitdrags are back ordered. BTW like I said I have been doing it that way for years I like it better than a RCH

I am also looking into a RCH with linesman attachments that I can use instead of the harness. Once at hunting height I would connect the top prussic to the sit drag bridge and lower prussic to the RCH center connection. Now to find pouches to put my ropes in...…...

Order a tactical belt like paintballers use. I set up mine that way and it was great. Has two rows of Molle loops and is padded for comfort.

I don't have a proper saddle so I use a RCH and a modified battle belt. I took rated webbing and using a water knot made a loop. I fed the loop through the BB and connected a carabiner on each end. I then made a bridge out of 6 mm climbing rope using figure 8 on a bite on each end.

When I get to the top of my climb I connect my bridge and then use a prusik/carabiner to connect that above my RCH. I then unbuckle the BB and position it under my butt and pull up on the prusik and get my weight into it, then put a bit of slack into my RCH connection so at max I would fall 1/4" or less.

The webbing/carabiner can be used as a lineman's belt point for stability but not for safety when you want to work hands free BUT you need to stay connected to the actual RCH for safety as the BB isn't rated and the buckle can pop open and you would fall out of it while you fell out of the tree.

Bare with me here.
What if you wore a standard harness, with linesman loops, and had a bridge connected to those THEN had a sit drag attached connected to the bridge with prussic which you could adjust to take the weight off the harness once at height. Make sense?? Clear as mud??? Just thinking you would be secured with a harness while still having the comfort of the sit drag...……. Thoughts????

This is exactly what I’m doing, using my HSS harness. I added a small loop of 7mm accessory cord to each of the lineman’s loops. Once I’m at height, I attach a carabiner and a Prusik to these two loops (making a short bridge) to my tether. I then attach my sitdrag style seat and adjust the weight to the seat. Then, and only then do I disconnect the lineman’s belt. I keep the Prusik attached to my HSS harness just snug enough to take up the slack but not put any noticeable weight on the harness itself. It’s very comfortable this way.

The only reason I’m looking to get a climbing harness is to do away with the shoulder straps that can get in the way from the HSS harness.

This is exactly what I’m doing, using my HSS harness. I added a small loop of 7mm accessory cord to each of the lineman’s loops. Once I’m at height, I attach a carabiner and a Prusik to these two loops (making a short bridge) to my tether.

@CharlieTN could you post a picture of this part of your setup? I'm having trouble visualizing what you've done, but I'm interested because I'm looking to do something very similar.

Bare with me here.

I wear a rock climbing harness, a battle belt modded to be used with a lineman’s belt and to carry my climbing stuff and act as my seat/saddle. I’m going to add a fleece saddle next hunt.

@CharlieTN could you post a picture of this part of your setup? I'm having trouble visualizing what you've done, but I'm interested because I'm looking to do something very similar.
Here you go. Hope this makes it clearer. So far it’s worked well. First pic shows the attachment to the lineman’s loops of my HSS harness since it doesn’t have a separate tie in point. Second shows the attachment to my tether with a Distel Hitch. Up the tether is a second Distel hitch which my bridge is hooked in to.

Attachments

• 6C6FAEE5-2326-4DB9-8D0B-5B7E69D07AE3.jpeg
    6C6FAEE5-2326-4DB9-8D0B-5B7E69D07AE3.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 67
  • EC25EE4F-A00D-4CA7-B2CB-2585C9B5CCAF.jpeg
    EC25EE4F-A00D-4CA7-B2CB-2585C9B5CCAF.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 66
I am also looking into a RCH with linesman attachments that I can use instead of the harness. Once at hunting height I would connect the top prussic to the sit drag bridge and lower prussic to the RCH center connection. Now to find pouches to put my ropes in...…...

I’m using a battle belt with drop pouches on for my caribiners etc and I ran a rated webbing loop through it so it doubles as my belt if I need to work on something. I hook my lineman’s belt around the tree to the loops on each side of the belt. It’s NOT a safety device though. It’s strictly for stability. I always stay connected to my RCH.

Back