• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

sitdrag failure

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
I'm curious if in all the time people have been using the Sitdrag if anyone has actually had a failure of one. I don't mean the straps or whatever, the actual assembly itself

Hunted with mine exclusively for the last two years. Still using it this year. We have a four month season. The first year I just ran a 2" webbing belt through the bridge loops. Felt safe enough, then the fireman in me kicked in and started using the same set up with a bod harness.

59d44f6435f73fe66bd7aafa7c44034c.jpg

#ButtPic got my ass in one right now. Second season and still good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny, I was looking at mine the other day thinking the same thing.
On a completely different note, I wonder if anyone has tried to DIY two sitdrags into a two panel saddle like the old sling style?
Seems doable and if they aren't failing....
...I am just putting that out there as I have not DIY-ed any saddle but have been thinking about a double panel/sling or whatever they are called....

On a completely different note, I wonder if anyone has tried to DIY two sitdrags into a two panel saddle like the old sling style?
...I am just putting that out there as I have not DIY-ed any saddle but have been thinking about a double panel/sling or whatever they are called....
That was the hidden purpose behind the question. I was thinking of making the sitdrag "method" 2 panel saddle. But if I did that, I dunno if I'd want to use a rch under it. I think it would be pretty simple, a modified sd with a belt, a second sd, and 2 triangle quick links, I'd think

Last edited:
folks have sewn two together and liked it, I'm sure some have tried it two panel style . I myself tried it in the basement but didn't like it more than my kite. then again I don't seem to be a two panel guy.

That was the hidden purpose behind the question. I was thinking of making the sitdrag "method" 2 panel saddle. But if I did that, I dunno if I'd want to use a rch under it. I think it would be pretty simple, a modified sd with a belt, a second sd, and 2 triangle quick links, I'd think
A waistbelt that will not go over their hips keeps rock climbers safe.

The way I am thinking about is very similar, mainly because I do not have a sewing machine and I do not think my mother-in-law's is powerful enough to get the job done on tougher material. It's probably like a 100 years old.

I am thinking as the triangle link something like this: https://www.amazon.com/PETZL-Delta-...ocphy=9010767&hvtargid=pla-633857493557&psc=1

I might also add a continuous loop of seatbelt material around the top and bottom for added safety and to eliminate (possibly) the option of having to wear a RCH. I am still in the design phases of this so if you come up with some cool work arounds and tips let me know, please.
Good luck!

I never could get to the point I felt completely safe in mine, and my RCH just wasn't comfortable. So I ended up buying a Cruzr XC. Now my sitdrag makes an extremely comfortable back band with a utilibridge made out of 9 mm rope. Rolls up to about the size of a beer can when I'm not using it.

... But have you tried a fleece seat with the RCH? If not, try that next before you buy another sit drag.

Fleece:

Most RCHs detract from the comfort of fleece or other non-climb rated options. You can get something like this belt and add weight bearing buckles from his site and incorporate it as a safety option to the two sit drags (with an extra bridge for example).

Last edited:
... But have you tried a fleece seat with the RCH? If not, try that next before you buy another sit drag.
Yea i have, wont go back to fleece again. I had the knot of the bridge on a fleece saddle slip over the fleece knot and I fell right on my butt, darn near broke my tailbone. It was at ground level thankfully.

Back