• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitka Setup

Jayo

I have never owned Sitka. With a $1,000 dollar budget would the Stratus Jacket, Fanatic Hoody & Stratus Bibs be a good stetup for mid-to-late season? Hunting temps typically 35 - 40 degrees? I hunt in WI and mid-season it seems most mornings around the 30-35 degree range. I want to make sure the setup is warm enough to handle temps around there (or possibly lower). Any help would be great!

I have hunted just over 30 years, I have tried a lot of clothing, after deer season was over this year I decided it was time to research and upgrade my hunting clothes. Of course the chatter is always Sitka or other expensive stuff, I have no problem paying for good things but sometimes it’s tuff to tell if people are fascinated with spending stupid money or it’s the real deal. I decided it was time to see what Sitka was about, I bought a Stratus jacket and bibs, I coyote hunt about 3 months a year during the winter, and at first I didn’t want to get my Sitka stuff dirty with nasty coyote blood and have it smell like snowmobile exhaust, but around the first of January when it was -10 I said screw it and started beating on this Stratus set, I hunt 4 or 5 days a week (coyotes) all winter, 3-4 months, temps are usually -10 to 35, 8hrs plus a day outside, on and off my snowmobile most of the day sometimes going 50-60 mph, my sits are anywheres from 15 minutes to 2 hours and then I’m back on the sled moving again, I wear first lite merino wool base layers top and bottom, Cabelas microtex pants (they are thin and offer zero warmth), a Pendleton button up wool shirt that is also thin, and a filson wool vest, Stratus bibs over that and Stratus jacket. After that long winded explanation here is my opinion.... Sitka is the real deal, the Stratus stops wind dead, if you wana find a flaw in your hunting clothes jump on a snowmobile at -10 and hammer down at 60 mph and you will find it fast. Never once was I cold or uncomfortable, never too hot, just perfect, and the real benefit to the Stratus stuff is I feel like I’m wearing about half the clothes I used to, zero bulk, total freedom of movement while swinging a rifle or putting on snowshoes, to keep it simple this stuff just kicks ass, and if it didn’t I would say so, about a year ago I shoved about $200 worth of Under Armour stuff in the local Salvation Army drop box, when something doesn’t work for me I’m done with it fast. I know the price sucks but it is what it is and if you shop around and do some goggle searching deals can be had, the only regret I have is waiting this long to buy some. My plan was to buy the fanatic set next after I tried the Stratus stuff, I’m not going to now, the Stratus is all I need, sitting motionless in a tree stand all day is obviously different than how I coyote hunt, but I can’t imagine any scenario where the Status won’t be enough during my typical deer season, and if it does get that cold it’s probably time for the IWOM XT. Hope this helps, you won’t be disappointed I guarantee it.

I have all 3 items and they are all amazing! Fanatic hoody is one of my favorite pieces of all the Sitka gear I own

I would also suggest the Celsius Midi jacket. Great jacket

If you hold out I buy most of my Sitka stuff as it goes on sale. You can save decent money

I have all 3 items and they are all amazing! Fanatic hoody is one of my favorite pieces of all the Sitka gear I own

I would also suggest the Celsius Midi jacket. Great jacket

If you hold out I buy most of my Sitka stuff as it goes on sale. You can save decent money
When do you typically see sales?

I can't speak to those specific items but the fanatic jacket has got to be one of the best pieces of clothing ever. Every little detail is so well thought out

I have signed up for email lists on multiple sites to keep track of sales. Sales just depends on time of year and probably inventory they want to get rid of. I keep picking up pieces each year that go on sale. For example Rogers Sporting Goods I've picked up a few items there. Mountain Jacket I got for $160. Traverse Pants I got for $120, etc. I am on my computer all day for work so that helps keep track of when stuff pops up

So a fanatic hoody paired with the stratus jacket most likely wouldn't keep a person warm in 30 degree temps for a long sit?

Depends on layers and wind. I would say little wind with good layers most likely. My layers are the Fanatic hoody and Celsius Midi Jacket up top and for the legs I go with a heavy base layer then the Equinox Midi Pant. Awesome layers for warmth. The Stratus system has little insulation but offers the wind stopper which is huge for me in Pennsylvania. I like the Stratus stuff because its less bulk. I do not own the Fanatic jacket and bibs but I own a set of Cabelas Berber Fleece bibs and jacket (same thing basically) and thats what I use in rifle (if its really cold) and late season archery.

I wore a Dakota hoodie and fanatic vest in 30* and 30 MPH wind. I would imagine that the stratus jacket would be just as good if not better.

If anyone is looking for a good early season pant the Sitka Traverse pant is on sale on their website right now. $119. Its my go to early season archery pant and turkey hunting pant.

I own or owned quite a bit of Sitka both fanatic suits, their rain gear, fanatic hoody etc but my favorite piece of gear is the shacket don’t think they make it anymore so u might be able to find if close out or second hand for a good deal.
Either way I live in mi and hunt with the fanatic lite through Most of these season and just layer it...I like how there is next to no bulk

I have owned the stratus series and found in colder weather it is not that warm and the gortex is noisy. The fanatic is much better. And as someone mentioned earlier the shacket is a great piece

I have owned the stratus series and found in colder weather it is not that warm and the gortex is noisy. The fanatic is much better. And as someone mentioned earlier the shacket is a great piece

Was it the old version, forest camo series?

I have:

Stratus Bibs, Elevated Forest
Stratus Jacket, Elevated Forest
Stratus Jacket, Elevated II
Fanatic Jacket, Elevated Forest
Fanatic Jacket, Elevated II (high pile berber version)
Incinerator Bibs, Elevated II
Kelvin Vest

I do find the liner in the older Stratus bibs, aka Elevated Forest, make some noise while walking. Haven't had an issue while hunting in them.

BUT, my Stratus jacket in Elevated Forest is dead silent. I prefer it to the newer Elevated II coat, except for the camo which has too much blue in the grey. I like the interior and exterior fleeces much better than the newer model, which is still pretty nice.

I also love my Elevated Forest Fanatic Jacket when it gets cold. The high pile berber of the later version isn't dead silent like the older fleece, which is one reason why mine still has tags on it. The newest model addressed that issue, but I don't own it.

The Incinerator bibs have true gore-tex. I haven't found them to be noisy, but they aren't dead silent like the Stratus jackets. I never bought Fanatic bibs because these are lighter, more packable, and warmer. My biggest gripe is the zipper is exposed (no flap), and I have had my lower cam contact it while maneuvering and it made enough noise to spook a deer. Nevertheless, it is the best cold weather kit I've used.

Last edited:
I have never owned Sitka. With a $1,000 dollar budget would the Stratus Jacket, Fanatic Hoody & Stratus Bibs be a good stetup for mid-to-late season? Hunting temps typically 35 - 40 degrees? I hunt in WI and mid-season it seems most mornings around the 30-35 degree range. I want to make sure the setup is warm enough to handle temps around there (or possibly lower). Any help would be great!

You’re definitely on the right track with that plan. 30-35F is a typical morning in the western NC mountains in November.

In that scenario I’m typically wearing:
-core pant/shirt (synthetic, NOT merino)
-fanatic hoodie
-heavyweight bottom
-Celsius midi top
-Stratus jacket and pants

I’m usually wearing the fanatic bib and jacket below 30F but with the Stratus bibs you should be fine into the mid 20’s, maybe lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back