• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Skull degreasing problems

rakbowhunter

Hello, I've got into doing my own euro mounts. I enjoy it. I started out boiling, but now do maceration, which I much prefer. After that I degrease in a 5 gal bucket, switching between dawn dish soap and ammonia. Everything decreases well except behind the teeth. It seems to turn yellow and get mushy. I cant figure out what I'm doing wrong. The rest of the head is fully degreased and looks great. Its ti the point its soft and mushy and falling apart. Almost afraid to keep going in fear of ruining more bone. This is the 3rd buck I've done that this has happened to. Any thoughts or help appreciated! It looks worse in real life than the pics...

Screenshot_20230202-170605_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230202-170609_Gallery.jpg

Are you doing a cold or warm water maceration? Did you boil this skull at all? I only saw to use water for the main maceration and then dawn dish soap for the degreasing after. Is there a reason you used ammonia? How much and for how long did you use it?

Warm water maceration. No boiling at any point. Only used water for the maceration.

I had read that ammonia was safe to use on bone for degreasing. Alternating between dawn and ammonia per change. Something about ammonia helps break down the grease for the dawn to draw out. It was on a taxidermy forum. 2.5% ammonia for a week in 90 deg water. Then dawn for a week...back and forth for 2 months. Water stays clear now so no grease is drawing out.

Warm water maceration. No boiling at any point. Only used water for the maceration.

I had read that ammonia was safe to use on bone for degreasing. Alternating between dawn and ammonia per change. Something about ammonia helps break down the grease for the dawn to draw out. It was on a taxidermy forum. 2.5% ammonia for a week in 90 deg water. Then dawn for a week...back and forth for 2 months. Water stays clear now so no grease is drawing out.
Interesting. I’m on my first maceration skull so I’m sorry I can’t provide any help. I’m interested to find out what may be causing it.

If I figure it out, I will let you know. Unfortunately, or fortunately lol, this is my last head until next year, so I won't be able to figure it out this year. Maybe I need to drop the ammonia. @gcr0003 , if you dont run into any issues with your degreasing, I'd be interested to see what your process is.

If I figure it out, I will let you know. Unfortunately, or fortunately lol, this is my last head until next year, so I won't be able to figure it out this year. Maybe I need to drop the ammonia. @gcr0003 , if you dont run into any issues with your degreasing, I'd be interested to see what your process is.
I’m close to two weeks in. I’ll let you know!

Follow the lack of effort here lol

Back