• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Slick Trick Broadhead vs Shoulder Bone

hauscaliber

Shoulder bone 1 - Slick Trick 0

The buck I got this weekend was a quartering away shot where the arrow went thru the vitals and directly hit the inside of the opposite shoulder bone. The shoulder stopped my 450 grain arrow with a slick trick magnum. The steel ferrule and aluminum outsert was bent badly and it also cracked the arrow. I'm shooting a 70# 29" draw compound bow.

I learned that the shoulder bone is no joke.

I'll still use slick tricks since the blood trail was massive and the deer only went about 60 yards.Screenshot_20190915-200805_Facebook.jpg

Isn't it just amazing how tough deer can be????? That broadhead looks pretty good for going through all of that IMHO.

my cousin shot a bruiser with 12 gauge in shoulder and lost it. Luckily he caught up with same deer week later and harvested him. Slug never went through shoulder. I tend to stay away from them for sure especially with a bow. Granted it’s easier said than done but I tend not to go for heart shots and try to recommend the same to friends. Too small a target and it’s very well protected for the most part. I’ve personally never seen a double lung deer that didn’t die quickly and lot less in the way.

It can be one of the down sides to quartering away angles. The far shoulder often prevents an exit hole. Near side can be a high entrance and no exit because of the shoulder sometimes leaves a sparse blood trail. Deer hit like that may bleed as much from the nose as much as the wound itself.
Blowing blood out the nose usually leaves a higher blood trail on foliage and smaller blood drops.

It can be one of the down sides to quartering away angles. The far shoulder often prevents an exit hole. Near side can be a high entrance and no exit because of the shoulder sometimes leaves a sparse blood trail. Deer hit like that may bleed as much from the nose as much as the wound itself.
Blowing blood out the nose usually leaves a higher blood trail on foliage and smaller blood drops.
That was spot on. More blood came out of his nose than the wound and it was all over the vegetation.

Shoulder bone 1 - Slick Trick 0

The buck I got this weekend was a quartering away shot where the arrow went thru the vitals and directly hit the inside of the opposite shoulder bone. The shoulder stopped my 450 grain arrow with a slick trick magnum. The steel ferrule and aluminum outsert was bent badly and it also cracked the arrow. I'm shooting a 70# 29" draw compound bow.

I learned that the shoulder bone is no joke.

I'll still use slick tricks since the blood trail was massive and the deer only went about 60 yards.View attachment 16828
I hit a doe at 50yds within original style Rage 2 blade square in the shoulder blade. It OBLITERATED the shoulder facing me and stopped at the opposite shoulder. She ran 30yds and piled up. I say obliterated because when I was gutting her I reached in to grab the heart and trachea and grabbed what I thought was pieces of the broad head (freaked me out, I thought I was gonna pull my hand out cut to ribbons) but it turned out to be chunks of bone. I was amazed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I hit a doe at 50yds within original style Rage 2 blade square in the shoulder blade. It OBLITERATED the shoulder facing me and stopped at the opposite shoulder. She ran 30yds and piled up. I say obliterated because when I was gutting her I reached in to grab the heart and trachea and grabbed what I thought was pieces of the broad head (freaked me out, I thought I was gonna pull my hand out cut to ribbons) but it turned out to be chunks of bone. I was amazed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Shoulder impacts are a bit of a roll of the dice. Hit it right and everything shatters, hit it wrong and just a thud. As long at the broadhead stays intact and isn't a "clearly stupid" design, it did its job.

Back