• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SloMo`s DIY Saddle Hunting Platform

• Thread starter Deleted member 3368
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3368

Hey guyz. Someone suggested a new thread for this platform and here it is. It seems like quite a few of you are liking the size and portability of this build not to mention cost savings over a purpose built platform. Also , suggested improvements are welcome . This platform is smaller and lighter than the predator. It also packs smaller and is easy to make. You will need a wheelchair step like the one used here and a folding frame like the one used in the big game turkey hunting seat. You will also need a 5/16 high tensile bolt . A button from another stand and also the cleat to go behind it. A grinder or hack saw. Some spray paint and or other camo material and a ratcheting loop strap. Here's a short video . Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
I Googled big game turkey seat and didn't seem to find anything that looked like what you were using. Any clues?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I corrected the link problem . Sorry about that. this is the seat. I just used the post . 712f9199-69e6-4953-a755-4a0c7c5881b1_1.4f2ccab1e0fc1875803451e7f58567aa.jpeg

I have seen a seat similar to that one but haven't seen that particular seat. So you know where that seat can be bought?

I'm making a couple as well using this platform. Here's a link to the cheapest platforms I could find: https://ebay.us/Rz5mE1 (I told him to go find more, said he might have about 15 left). It is the Shoprider Streamer foot rest, but there are other styles available.

My post will be 1.25" aluminum with two tree brackets - basically the @Erniepower system, just swapping this platform in. Waiting on the brackets from XOP to arrive then I'll put mine together and test out. I'd like to try the cam over method since I don't have the big game seat bracket. The platform just fits a 1.25" post - unlike the XOP platform that requires the use of spacers.

Good luck with that DanO. Sooner or later the supply will run out so gettum while ya can . Great job! Thanks SH for giving us a place to do this.

I posted on the old thread, but do you run into issues when on this platform with the raised back edge on it? Would seem to get in the way when you are pivoting around to shoot the weak side or at twelve oclock?

I'm making a couple as well using this platform. Here's a link to the cheapest platforms I could find: https://ebay.us/Rz5mE1 (I told him to go find more, said he might have about 15 left). It is the Shoprider Streamer foot rest, but there are other styles available.

My post will be 1.25" aluminum with two tree brackets - basically the @Erniepower system, just swapping this platform in. Waiting on the brackets from XOP to arrive then I'll put mine together and test out. I'd like to try the cam over method since I don't have the big game seat bracket. The platform just fits a 1.25" post - unlike the XOP platform that requires the use of spacers.
WOndering how to attached a strap directly to the platform on this to be able to do the cam over?

WOndering how to attached a strap directly to the platform on this to be able to do the cam over?
Me too, LOL! I'm going to try with a small Dyneema runner through one or two of the holes and connect that with a carabiner to a Lone Wolf strap. The other side I already tried and can lark's head the strap through one of the holes. Time will tell if this is feasible or not. As soon as everything arrives I'll get out and test it so I can report back.

Yes let us know how it turns out. I too am doing the build with a couple XOP brackets, strap and 1.25" square tubing since finding that big game seat doesnt seem possible. I just need my platform to get here. I still think that raised edge on the backside might end up being a pain, but we'll see.

I posted on the old thread, but do you run into issues when on this platform with the raised back edge on it? Would seem to get in the way when you are pivoting around to shoot the weak side or at twelve oclock?
I have not had any issues using the platform for any shooting position. My foot stays where I put it . The platform won't move

I have not had any issues using the platform for any shooting position. My foot stays where I put it . The platform won't move . Once the playform is set and you start using it confidence builds . This platform sits closer to the tree . On the XOP and predator the platform is further out from the tree and that is the way it was designed . Pretty much all usable space on either platform just a little less on this one .

I have not had any issues using the platform for any shooting position. My foot stays where I put it . The platform won't move
I was moreso wondering if you end up standing on the raised portion on the back of the platform when positioning for certain shots - essentially you arent able to have your foot overhanging the platform because of that ridge.

They have this one on walmart.com for $28.91 plus $13.92 shipping
6z0dno.jpg

Not sure about the one pictured above, but if you go to the below link this seat appears to have almost the same bracket that slomo used. Not sure I want to spend 40 bucks just to get the bracket .I guess I'll see how the XOP cleats work and if I can figure out a way to cam lock it down, or see how stable it is just using the versa button.

https://www.mackspw.com/Muddy-Ultim...sjDdE179xlb6e370XmNP4U4IMnGzSyzBoCDNsQAvD_BwE

Back