• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Smack a doe

Weldabeast

SH Member
Headed out this morning early on the canoe....pulled up and waded in to a spot that looked pretty good last time I was in there...wind was swirling and had something wind me and took off outta there...never seen what it was...got down about 8:45-9 and went back to the boat and paddled to an area that would be good for the wind direction. It was already later in the morning and I was planning to be home by noon.

I headed out on foot in this area and was finding decent deer sign....walked up to a 10-15 year old clear cut that still had the equipment road/trail pretty distinguishable....I headed in on the upwind side and went about 1/2 way around and then doupled back quickly heading over to the downwind side....

Just as I get to the area I expect the deer to come out, 7 does come single file outta that clear cut. I dropped to my knees and froze. They were pretty calm but they were walking into my wind....as soon as 1 had a shot I let it fly...she was broadside and I had to thread the needle to make the shot....arrow passes thru and stuck into a deer behind her...I didn't see the impact and couldnt see any real detail on how the arrow was in that deer....I just seen my nock run off....the deer I was intending to hit ran roughly 20-30 feet and stopped..she was looking around trying to figure out what just happened....then she got a little dizzy and went to sleep....I watched her fall.

Headed back to the boat to get my meat hauler....once I got back I started concentrating on the 2nd deer blood and followed for 2-3 hundred yards and I wasn't able to find my arrow or the deer...I then retracted my steps double checking...

Rain started coming down and I gave up on the 2nd deer and walked over to where I seen the 1st fall and quartered up as fast as I could because the rain was starting to really come down but was coming in bands so I didnt have to work the whole time in the rain

Packed it out and mad paddle to make it outta the storm.

Killed 2 birds with 1 stone today as far as my 20-21 season goals..... timberpimp kill while using the canoe to access

20200927_115929.jpg

20200927_131239.jpg

My arrow are 740gr in case anyone wondering....made a small "sssiiiiiip" noise at impact. I could have shot another because all the other deer didn't really run.... They were still in bow range when I finally stood up and then they all ran off

20200927_115907.jpg

20200927_120703.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks buddy....ur time will be here soon enough...

I'm very pleased with myself... Only the second hunt so far this season and I connected... This is year number 6 of me attempting to kill whitetail....the knowledge I've been accumulating is finally starting to pay off. I had a plan instead of just randomly walking thru the woods like I've mostly done in the past....

So if I understood that, you went around the upwind side and flushed them with your scent/sound then doubled back to the downwind side to catch them on the escape?

I've noticed that the clear cut around that age almost always have deer bedding in them....they are 2 thick to walk into so can sit an exit trail and hope they use that 1 or be a little aggressive and hope...worked out good because I could move very quickly on that old logging road and not make 2 much noise

Turd Ferguson for the win! Congrats on the canoe kill. I hope to be paddling a big ole buck back to my truck in a few weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll make it back tomorrow possibly.... I'm not sure it even expired....i really want my arrow back and I gave it my best....I'll I can do is look for vultures.... Over 3 inches of rain has fallen since then

Good Job on 2 for 1. Saves on arrow costs. I snuck up on a doe tonight to 15 yds in a good wind. Shot clean through her w/my new adult arrows. Never had that happen before and only went 30 yds and got that sickly look and fell.

I shot 580 last season..... These are whole new animal.... The bow was so quite all those other deer didn't get spooked enough to run off.... They seen the hit deer run but didn't know what was up...I don't know yardage but I guess 20-25yd was the shot...I was aiming low and impact was about center...she dropped but not too drastic....she did a semi circle around me and dropped at pretty much the same distance the shot was....

You did all you could considering the conditions. Congrats on the doe.

Back