• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Small game tips/blunts?

cville_bowhunter

I'm looking for a recommendation here, as I have not bought anything other than field tips and broadheads. Thanks!

For squirrels, I like the ones that are like mini broadhead you screw on the shaft behind a fieldpoint. I've had too many squirrels take judos and blunts and basically laugh them off. Rabbits and birds are wimps use anything you can shoot them with a rubber band and they'll flop.

For squirrels, I like the ones that are like mini broadhead you screw on the shaft behind a fieldpoint. I've had too many squirrels take judos and blunts and basically laugh them off. Rabbits and birds are wimps use anything you can shoot them with a rubber band and they'll flop.
I'm glad I asked. I've never heard of the first one you mentioned before! Things look nasty

G5 makes a small game head. I have some but haven't tried them on an animal

G5 makes a small game head. I have some but haven't tried them on an animal
I have and they do a number on squirrels, but the blades break off making them one time use for me.

I have a few of the Allen thrasher heads. They seem durable enough as I've missed both squirrels I shot them at so I dunno about killing power but they handle dirt and stumps like a champ lol.

Ive heard of small game collars as well, but can't speak to their use

For squirrels and rabbits I use the ones that look like small maces. The Saunders "bludgeon" and the 3rivers "Hammer" have both been effective for me. I've never had success with judos and they always get bent, in my limited experience.

Are you talking about Adders? They’re like a mini 8-“bladed” washer that screws in behind field tip.

I use judo points for squirrels and they usually blow right through. This winter i had a couple of squirrels run of with an arrow in them,I must have missed the vitals,which I thought was not an easy thing to do if you get an arrow through them. One I was able to chase down and finish,the other climbed a tree with my arrow through. Never found that one...
So usually the judo heads are reusable,lol.

Never tried it, but I remember reading some discussion on Tradgang involving a .38SPL case and an 8x32 thumbscrew. Drill out the primer pocket to fit the thumbscrew, and sharpen the thumbscrew to approximate a broadhead. Stick the thumbscrew through the drilled-out primer pocket and into the insert. Add epoxy if you wish. The .38SPL case serves as both the blunt, FOC mass, and an external footer; the sharpened thumbscrew causes trauma and penetration which is checked by the case head. Presumably a field tip would work just as well. I might try it once I'm more confident in my trad game.

I only use Judos but Roger Rothhaar drilled 1/8" holes through our field points, perpendicular to the shaft right behind the point taper, and pushed an 1/8" roll pin into it. Kept them from skipping under the grass and they pack a good wallop on squirrels. As you can see, this one has been used pretty hard. Use any length roll pin you want.

Attachments

• Resized_20230304_060632_3618.jpeg
    Resized_20230304_060632_3618.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 36
Back