• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Small parcels can pay off

CharlieTN

Just this past week I picked up an new spot to hunt. It’s a small 10-acre spot that sits between two large hay fields, one to the north and one to the south. I found out about it from a neighbor who was doing some dirt work for the owner and the neighbor got me permission.

My excitement dropped quite a bit though when this neighbor took me to see the property. It’s basically a large hill with the top flattened as if prepped for a house at some point. Both sides of the hill are thickly grown up but there were some fresh deer prints in the rocky dirt on top so I thought why not.

Friday morning I went it before dark and got in a large tree on the south side of the cleared top just against the property line with the south field behind me. I could see a few more deer prints in the dirt in front of me. At 9:15 am I spotted two deer across the property in the large field to the north. It was two bucks roughly 200 yards away. The lead one looked to be a nice buck though I couldn’t get a clear view of his antlers through the row of trees on the property line. The second one was a 4-point. While they worked their way across the field moving to my left I let out a couple of doe in estrous bleats but they acted like they never heard them. After a few minutes they made it to the edge of the fields, paused to eat on something, then hopped the fence and disappeared into the woods on that property.

I figured there was no way they would make it over to my little bald hill I was sitting on but figured I had nothing to loose since I hadn’t seen any other deer anyway. I let out two loud doe in estrous bleats (in this area some does are going back into heat) followed by some young buck grunts and waited. While waiting I kept watching the field directly behind me just in case something came moving through it. After about 30 minutes I looked across the hill I was on and here came the larger buck up an old dirt road headed directly towards me, nose forward, looking for the doe.

Being in the saddle I moved myself to put the tree between me and the deer, grabbed my rifle, then worked my way peeking back around. He gave me a good quartering shot and I dropped him where he stood. He’s my biggest buck to date, field dressed at 115 lbs and an 8-point.

When I went to him I noticed deer prints all over the dirt clearing. I think they may be using this as a travel corridor between the two fields.

On a side note, as I was processing him I noticed that his left hind leg had been broken in the past. Part of the bone had almost grown completely around one of the tendons as it healed. They really are tough animals.

154A47F0-7731-45DD-BCEB-C412155106B9.jpeg7FF166A1-0792-4EB2-9F3F-6CFCBBFFEA67.jpeg1BB56826-7C36-43E8-B8C3-45C3F325749B.jpeg10973CDA-4E15-4EB8-8251-3E5AB77BA465.jpeg

I've always been told," good things happen to good people". Great luck on that property find, a travel corridor between two ag fields, huh. That must have been a tough one to take. You must be an alright guy. Congratulations! Nice buck.

I've always been told," good things happen to good people". Great luck on that property find, a travel corridor between two ag fields, huh. That must have been a tough one to take. You must be an alright guy. Congratulations! Nice buck.
It was exciting. I basically threw a “Hail Mary” with the doe in estrous call but it paid off.

Congrats! Great buck. Love those small parcels. Takes some of the guess work out of it when you only have room for a couple sets.

Congrats! Great buck. Love those small parcels. Takes some of the guess work out of it when you only have room for a couple sets.
This place is like that. Really only one place to setup. I would love to find several of these types of places to be able to choose them by the wind. On this particular hunt my wind was perfect, the buck came in directly up wind of me and couldn’t have realistically worked himself down wind of me anyway.

Here’s a pic of the place.

3C4BD52F-3159-4052-9B4D-412BE2ECCFC2.jpeg

Great hunt! Gotta love small parcels. My second biggest buck came off 11 acres in city limits!

Nice job and congrats and a great buck! Glad you didn’t let your initial assessment get you down and gave it a shot.
I killed a narrow 13 pt. and missed a giant 10 pt. in a 5 acre block of woods about 14 years ago while shotgun hunting. I was setup on a field edge and my buddy was walking in from the main road. The deer were bedded down about 50 yards from the main road and he saw them jump up as he climbed over the guard rail. They mad a straight line towards me. We had doubted that there would be anything in that block and were actually setup to hunt an adjacent cutover (bedding). This took us all by surprise, leading to part the reason I missed on an easy shot on the 10 pt. but connected on the 13 pt that came within 15 yards. Small parcels can hold some hidden gems, even ones that border busy roads.

This year has been an interesting one for sure. Both bucks I killed this year were on hunts where I honestly didn’t expect much but was simply wanting to be out and learn. The doe I took after having a hunt busted. As I cam down I spotted some does and managed to to my first spot and stalk to within 75 yards to take a doe.

Been a learning season for sure this year.

Back