• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Small swamp.

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
I picked up a property last October wasn’t huge at 102 acres. It received a good bit of logging activity late last summer. The property is pretty much split in half top to bottom by a paved road. It has a narrow strip of land on the north end that is pretty much swamp. I didn’t scout the swamp because it was the second weekend of rifle when I leased it.
Well I decided to walk the swamp today. When hunting the edge I knew there had to be some islands because I could see several pines when hunting the edge.
I walked around a while and I’ve beverage seen so many pines on such a small piece of dry ground. This is that they looked like for a while.
E6A7E4C9-7670-4E11-B9CF-01E8B96A3177.jpeg
I mean come on a buck can’t bed on that. I did find some buck sign. 487B0152-052F-4861-B0D9-6C38D1193F12.jpegE78F0F98-DE62-4001-ACF0-5804C13225B5.jpeg
The bottom rub is on a big tree before I go in the swamp. I found it in October and saw bits and pieces of a really nice buck about 40 yards from that rub. That’s about as good a rub as I have found in Georgia. I’d say probably 6” diameter tree and worn deep enough to assume this wasn’t the first year that tree was abused. @John Eberhart has mentioned height of rubs in several things I’ve read. That rub is not that tall. Just below the knee to maybe hip height. Anyway back to the swamp.
25B81762-1922-415B-9D93-61A59517D498.jpeg
Found this little hump out in the swamp. Had what looked like two worn beds but no hair in them and not much fresh sign. But just behind me.
48D378C1-5A5F-4508-9085-6F975D620B33.jpeg
That’s the tallest rub I think I’ve ever found. It’s at least five foot tall. There was one more from the year before. Not near as big. There was little other buck sign around. There is another long skinny island covered with doe beds about 30 yards from here. I wonder if there’s just a buck bedding there during the rut. I plan on taking a few more trips back there this month. I only had about an hour to spend back there this evening. Bumped turkeys off the roost all the way in. On the way out I snapped a pic of a scrape. It’s not huge maybe 2’x4’ when it was active. Just wanted to let @g2outdoors see what a proper scrape should look like in Georgia. Just kidding I watched one of your scouting videos the other day and y’all need to feed your deer better.

7D877BF5-D36A-4C29-B6A5-5D943218D88F.jpeg

Ha! I find scrapes like that too. But more commonly I find small pizza box sized scrapes right under a licking branch. These smap ghosts are small.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Looks like some awesome sign! I hunt some swamp land in western KY and I didn’t fully realize that bucks bed in the nasty stuff until I started jumping them duck hunting. Whats your game plan to hunt that area?

Looks like some awesome sign! I hunt some swamp land in western KY and I didn’t fully realize that bucks bed in the nasty stuff until I started jumping them duck hunting. Whats your game plan to hunt that area?
I haven’t made my mind up. It’s a pain to access and the property I lease is only 130 yards wide in that area. Im going to try to gain access from the west this year. Right now all I can do is access it from a clear cut. That’s the white area in the picture below. I saw a lot of deer in the small food plot on the north end of the clearcut. I saw a nice buck in the pines headed toward the swamp a couple times last year. It’s just a tough spot to access without spooking deer already in the clearcut. There are scattered trees but very little growth as it was cut last August. Hopefully I can gain permission to access this property through a property to the west this year. That and seeing what gets planted in the fields close by. There is also another hunter nearby on the east side. I know he shot at least two deer this past season from maybe 150 yards away from the bed. I don’t think he bow hunts so if it get used this fall I may just go for broke in September. 99F28869-8863-41A8-A9D3-46A40576AB80.jpeg

Fun to hunt.....until you have to drag one out...lol
My last one in our swamp I had to go get my 6'2" son to help me. When we got to him he just stood over him and said. .. " What the hell Mom! Why would you even hunt down here?! I laughed and said, " your looking at why"
40 yrs the only inedible deer I've shot. Every single piece of meat smelled and tasted like tarsal gland. He only went 15 yrds with a heart shot. One of my best hunts though and the dogs ate well that winter, so no waste.

Great looking spot, watch the wind carefully. I truly hope you don't have what we do 15' high wild rose everywhere. Have fun.

@EricS somstimes the toughest accesses are worth it! I’m sure you’ll get it figured out and get on him once you know what crops go in and where he feeds.The swamp I hunt has water access to it so I can slip in with a kayak, but it doesn’t look to be the case here.

I’m sure based on wind the access will change too so hopefully you can get access from he West

Back