• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Smokey smelling pack

twobiscuit

SH Member
I recently bought a pack off of the classifieds. When the box arrived, I could smell what smelled like cigar smoke. I opened the box and the smell was overwhelming. Pack was in perfect shape except for the smoke smell. I asked the seller if he smoked and he said no. Hmm. I ran it though my ozone bag twice. Didn’t help. I washed it with scent free soap. Didn’t help. I soaked it in baking soda and water in my bath tub over night. That might have helped a little. Then I hung it up outside for 2 days. It still smells like smoke. Does anybody have any tried and true ways to get rid of the smoke smell?

Following. My uncle heated his cabin with a wood furnace, resulting in all my stuff smelling like smoke. His place burned down two years ago from that wood furnace and my stuff still smells. Smoke from burning wood is a lot better than a cigar tho.

Try saturating it with Hyrogen Peroxide

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I saw about the white vinegar but thought, ain’t no way! I know vinegar smells really strong to me. I’ll try it and see. I have it in the washer again right now. I’ll see how it goes once this cycle is complete.

After you do all that, stuff it with leaves and bark or whatever trees are in your area. Leave it outside for a long time. Like a month. Keep it somewhere where it will stay dry but condensation or dew is fine. Then you’re done. Plus most seasons are winding down now. If you can’t do this now then wait a few months.

Thanks guys. I saw about the white vinegar but thought, ain’t no way! I know vinegar smells really strong to me. I’ll try it and see. I have it in the washer again right now. I’ll see how it goes once this cycle is complete.
wash it with the vinegar and wash it again to get the vinegar smell out. I’ve done that with clothing and it helped a bunch.

We stayed at my in laws this summer before our place was ready & theyre both smokers. So we used the washer & dryer for 2 months at their place & that basically infused it into our clothes. I used sport wash, like the stuff to get under armor stuff from stinking…… took 2 washes & then a normal scent free detergent wash & it was all but imperceptible.

I have it soaking in water with a healthy dose of white vinegar. I’ll report back with the results in a day or so.

You might try a car parts shop, or talk to a used car dealer. The products used to get tobacco smoke out of car upholstery might work if they actually remove the smell, rather than just covering it up with something else.

I've also used OxyClean on musty-smelling gear. Worth a shot, anyway. Agitate it well and soak it for a few days.

Ozone…

I bought a jacket off the classifieds stunk of cigarettes and pepperoni. Smell made me want to gag. Washed it numerous times couldn’t get the smell out. Ozone seems to be the only thing that helped.

Ozone…

I bought a jacket off the classifieds stunk of cigarettes and pepperoni. Smell made me want to gag. Washed it numerous times couldn’t get the smell out. Ozone seems to be the only thing that helped.

I’ve tried the ozone and it might have helped a little bit. Not much though. The smell originally was just overwhelming. And then the dude said he don’t smoke. Ok, sure

Another thought... maybe try a dry cleaner? When I worked for one in high school we did some work for insurance companies, cleaning truckloads of household goods damaged in house fires.

i used to smoke cigs...when i would quit, i would do the following to my truck interior and home (i quit several times before it worked)

i would scrub with citrus cleaner that cuts oil and then rinse that out and then final step dissolve baking soda in hot water and add enough baking soda that it was a saturated solution (baking soda at the bottom of bucket) and work that liquid into whatever until totally saturated...allow to dry and set to the side....i would then vacuum out but rinsing out would probably work also for a small item

this worked well enough to convince a crazy ex-GF that i wasn't still smoking.....

Last edited:
i used to smoke cigs...when i would quit, i would do the following to my truck interior and home (i quit several times before it worked)

i would scrub with citrus cleaner that cuts oil and then rinse that out and then final step dissolve baking soda in hot water and add enough baking soda that it was a saturated solution (baking soda at the bottom of bucket) and work that liquid into whatever until totally saturated...allow to dry and set to the side....i would then vacuum out but rinsing out would probably work also for a small item

this worked well enough to convince a crazy ex-GF that i wasn't still smoking.....
Congrats on kicking the habit. I'm very grateful I dropped the habit before I got hooked. Still miss it, though. I bought a (tobacco!) pipe that I'll bust out at bonfires from time to time, more as a conversation piece than anything else.

I purchased this and really like it. It’s a roomy bag that is good for doing lots of clothes, dog beds, etc. I hunt with a friend that smokes and when I come home from his cabin after a weekend, I need to clean everything. This has been a very good investment for me and it didn’t break the bank.

I recently purchased a used IWOM that smelled like smoke(the seller told me in advance which I REALLY appreciate). I was able to wash it and run it in this ozone bag for about an hour and the smell is almost gone already.

I recently purchased a used IWOM that smelled like smoke(the seller told me in advance which I REALLY appreciate). I was able to wash it and run it in this ozone bag for about an hour and the smell is almost gone already.

I wish I had your luck.

Back