• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

So I’m THAT guy.......

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
So here’s what I did & I feel like such a tool!! I was doing a side job for a guy from my church & we chatted while I was working about a month into the project & mentioned he has plenty of deer on his property. He mentioned 1 other guy bow hunts it 2-3 times a year & that I should walk the property sometime & see where the other guy has stands & see if there’s any other good areas. So fast forward a week, I’m waiting on some drywall mud to dry down this afternoon & speed scout his property line on about a 15-20 min loop. As I’m making my way back to the front of the property in a wide open hardwood spot with no deer sign ( like I just saw, on my loop) I start seeing small corn piles. As I get to the field edge 30 yds from the driveway & my truck I hear a whistle. A guy is bow hunting & I just blew up his evening sit!!!! He waves I’m 50 yds away, I wave & ease out. I felt awful for ruining a sit....... I figured out which car was his & left a note & left my name & #. I asked him to text me & I owed him a hunt or two on one of my spots. So he calls me and apologizes b/c he texted the landowner & trashed me, before he got to the car & got my note. He hoped he hadn’t caused any animosity b/w the owner & I. It’s not a big deal at all in that aspect. We spent 5 mins on the phone & he finally agreed to take me up an a muzzloader hunt. He’s never been before & was trying to get setup this year. So all in all I guess it worked out alright but I still feel like a jerk! Thoughts...........

So here’s what I did & I feel like such a tool!! I was doing a side job for a guy from my church & we chatted while I was working about a month into the project & mentioned he has plenty of deer on his property. He mentioned 1 other guy bow hunts it 2-3 times a year & that I should walk the property sometime & see where the other guy has stands & see if there’s any other good areas. So fast forward a week, I’m waiting on some drywall mud to dry down this afternoon & speed scout his property line on about a 15-20 min loop. As I’m making my way back to the front of the property in a wide open hardwood spot with no deer sign ( like I just saw, on my loop) I start seeing small corn piles. As I get to the field edge 30 yds from the driveway & my truck I hear a whistle. A guy is bow hunting & I just blew up his evening sit!!!! He waves I’m 50 yds away, I wave & ease out. I felt awful for ruining a sit....... I figured out which car was his & left a note & left my name & #. I asked him to text me & I owed him a hunt or two on one of my spots. So he calls me and apologizes b/c he texted the landowner & trashed me, before he got to the car & got my note. He hoped he hadn’t caused any animosity b/w the owner & I. It’s not a big deal at all in that aspect. We spent 5 mins on the phone & he finally agreed to take me up an a muzzloader hunt. He’s never been before & was trying to get setup this year. So all in all I guess it worked out alright but I still feel like a jerk! Thoughts...........

That was a way nice thing for you to do and to make up for it. But honestly how were you supposed to know he was there to begin with? Don’t remember if you said you saw a truck there already or not. I wouldn’t beat yourself up about it. It happens. And I’m sure he didn’t expect that kind of offer to make up for it either. I would be blown away if someone made me an offer like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First. You had permission from the landowner to be there and scout the property. You left a note and apologized and are taking him up on a hunt later this year.

Second. If he is hunting over corn, he probably wasn't going to see any deer until right at dark any way. Don't beat yourself up about ruining his hunt.

Third. It's not like you knew he was hunting there. Stuff happens when we're in a hurry and we don't always see things.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I wish I could count all the times I've had guys walk under me making me think my hunt was ruined only to have deer come by shortly thereafter. I get you feel bad, most any of us would as we put ourselves into the hunters seat but in reality you probably didn't affect anything. Good for you to offer a hunt or two out of it. You never know, you may have just found another hunting buddy. These things sometimes have a way of just happening.

Yeah I think you were way nice about the whole situation. I would have apologized for boogering up his hunt and that would have probably been it. But you know what, you're what a true, ethical hunter or better yet, sportsmen is all about. Good for you brother. May God Bless your giving.

So this place has a 4 car garage & a separate barn. When I headed over the landowner had just said you have the place to yourself we’re all out for a couple hours. I saw the car on the woods side of the barn after I got out. Honestly the sparse deer sign around him was all small tracks & his wind was blowing towards the bedding. Baiting is legal, but it was soooooo open in there I can’t see anything coming in. Well see how things go in October he’s never ML hunted & I’ll show him the ropes. It sure as heck can’t hurt my standings with the original landowner.

You did the right thing all the way around. You were invited by the land owner and you couldn't have known when and where he was. On the other hand you could have pushed him a booner.

I never worry about messing up someones hunt because I personally have known of several instances where deer got shot right after someone walked though someone else's setup. I have shot deer that I spooked from my stand on the way into it, I think they think the threat was just passing through and isn't really a threat. Look at the bright side. Where you were good about the situation by leaving the note to apologize you might have made a new lifelong friend. Kudos to you for that.

Good on you @Bigterp for smoothing things over, although I don’t feel like you really did anything wrong. No different then bumping into someone on public really when a piece of private is shared with unknown individuals you have no communication with. At least now y’all have a means of contact so you can better arrange hunts at this property in the future.

Back