• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

So ya wanna build a pack?

BackSpasm

SH Member
Well, technically I am the one who wants to build one... but I am starting this thread where we can share ideas and resources. I have posted about this before, but pack making is particularly daunting to me for some reason. I have sewn all kinds of hunting stuff: 4 saddles, many types of pouches/rope holders, milkweed dispensers and I have made apparel and pack mods. However, for some reason, the process of designing and constructing a full pack is overwhelming and I don't know where to start.

Some questions I have: where to I buy the material for the internal frame?

Can I use something generic/secondhand or is new HDPE sheeting the only way to go for durability?

If it is a daypack, do I really need to add some type of carbon fiber arrow stay etc for structure?

How in the world do I go about fabricating the shoulder/waist straps and sourcing, shaping, and incorporating padding?

Why is it so hard to find a basic pack pattern as a starting point?

Where do I learn to sew long zippers with turns like horseshoe zippers?

I think I want to build something like the new lone wolf custom gear pack, designed for hunting functionality first and foremost. I have a pack that is ok, but using it for a couple of years has really helped me know what I like and don't like and given me ideas for how I would design my own.

Lets discuss!

@4090Sharps
@LeanMachine

Good series they put together on this subject. Might be a good starting point. Start with cheaper materials first before going into more expensive like the hdpe or dynema.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

To make the horse shoe zippers the easiest thing to do is to sew the zipper to your side piece that gets sewn to the front, back, and bottom.

Lots of good input on a thread I started a little bit ago.

Been a lot of threads lately on building packs and custom pack building. I will tell you from first hand experience it can be done. There is a much bigger learning curve to packs than almost all other items we might spin up for hunting. Packs are complex, most of the learning is just trial and error. Getting one right on the first go is just pure luck, we learn by failing. Don't be afraid of it, just expect some frustration and busting a lot of stitching in the beggining.

Lots of good input on a thread I started a little bit ago.

I saw this and other threads! I am more interested in the technical details/specifics of how to construct. I have participated in several of the threads here over time, but still haven't found a lot of specific resources other than "just go do it", which is how saddle construction was when I built my first one. Like I mentioned above, just figuring out the shapes and construction of shoulder straps and how to secure them to the body is pretty complex if you do anything more than just simple webbing. I really like the video @Homebrew454 posted as far as details.

I am kind of hoping @always89y will get in the pack game and figure tricks out and post on Youtube......

I found this pattern a couple of years ago which has some designs and directions for things like should straps etc

Here is another one:

And this pattern which I like the least of the three

Last edited:
Here is a pretty nice sailright backpacking construction video I just discovered as well which has an accompanying kit they sell. Its a simple/basic design, but this is helpful to better grasp the actual process.

I have been working this as well. I have been doing some projects this off season and ultimately want to do a pack. It is the process that is the hardest part. Sew this first? Invert or sew inside out to get the seam to look right etc. The sewing itself is doable it is the actual "process" or steps that I seem to either overthink or not realize I should have thought of.
Hopefully with this thread we can all learn alittle and save some head scratching.

I have been working this as well. I have been doing some projects this off season and ultimately want to do a pack. It is the process that is the hardest part. Sew this first? Invert or sew inside out to get the seam to look right etc. The sewing itself is doable it is the actual "process" or steps that I seem to either overthink or not realize I should have thought of.
Hopefully with this thread we can all learn alittle and save some head scratching.
You are describing my situation exactly.

I'm a visual learner, so videos are really helpful. You may find this channel and specific video series helpful.
I can post more resources later tonight when I have time.
I have watched a lot of his videos. A lot of good projects. He even has a video on sewing zippers that the op had questions on.

It is a daunting task at first glance. So is a bag with lots of features. What you have to do is break it into bite size pieces that you can wrap your head around. When I realized bags were sewn in separate panels, it was a big light bulb moment for me. Frames are no different.

There is very little quality info or how-to info on frames. The ultralite backpacking community does produce some stuff but it is a little different than what interest me. I follow a fb page called tactical sewing. Lots of the guys on there are pros. As in the produce custom tactical gear for a living. Majority of the post are about material sourcing. No one is really doing how-to. Most or mainly showcasing their work. But there is a wealth of knowledge to access there. You just have to ask.

After I discovered external frame packs, I really don't use anything else unless I'm just using a lumbar pack. I do 99% of my treestand hunting with just a lumbar pack. That is because I am hunting private and I'm usually within1/2 mile of the truck. And I can drive closer if I kill something. If I'm on public, I'm running a frame so that I can carry more stuff and easily pack an animal out. So yea I'm gonna steer you towards a frame because of my personal use. If your use is more like my private land use, no you don't need any structure really.

A frame is only 3 pieces. Frame sheet, shoulder straps, and hip belt. Sheet is hdpe. Could you use other material? Yes. But I see no reason too. Order a sheet from grainger. It is pretty inexpensive. I use 1/8.

You need stays if you intend to haul more than probably 20#s. Big perk of stays is they allow for load lifters on your shoulder straps. This allows the load to be taken off your shoulders almost entirely.

Easiest way to pattern belt and straps is to have access to a good pack to copy. You can go to a store to put hands on packs too. Even places like REI and basspro will have some decent packs to get an idea. Pictures with a ruler for scale, can go a long ways. I sent someone building a frame a truck load of pics of my patterns to get him going. One of these years I will get patterns put into a digital format to share online. At the end of the day you are just sketching out the belt and shoulder straps on poster board, adding more allowance for foam, and then adding seam allowance. Sew them inside out. Turn them right side out, insert foam, and sew last seam closed. It is ideal to have a machine with enough presser foot lift that will let you sew through the foam to hold it into place. You will also need a compound feed machine to do this well. But you don't have to sew through the foam so don't sweat it. Just design around it.

How to learn to sew horseshoe zippers? That one is easy. Don't. They look cool but I have found them to be not worth the effort. Not that they are overly difficult. My real world use just has not proven them to be of any real value. Straight zips are so much easier to sew too.

If you can swing the cost, I really recommend buying a used kifaru frame. This is a good time of year to pick one up. Prices will be lower now than ever. This will let you disassemble and copy it. Then you can just sell it. Play your cards right and you might even make money on the deal. Esp if you buy low and sell closer to September.

You also might just decide to say screw it and keep the frame. That's ok too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This was my plan when I ordered my stone glacier pack. I just didn't have the time to build one this year in time for elk hunting. I learned A LOT from just looking at the pack and frame. I am debating on cloning/selling the bag and keeping the frame. Or cloning it all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

It is a daunting task at first glance. So is a bag with lots of features. What you have to do is break it into bite size pieces that you can wrap your head around. When I realized bags were sewn in separate panels, it was a big light bulb moment for me. Frames are no different.

There is very little quality info or how-to info on frames. The ultralite backpacking community does produce some stuff but it is a little different than what interest me. I follow a fb page called tactical sewing. Lots of the guys on there are pros. As in the produce custom tactical gear for a living. Majority of the post are about material sourcing. No one is really doing how-to. Most or mainly showcasing their work. But there is a wealth of knowledge to access there. You just have to ask.

After I discovered external frame packs, I really don't use anything else unless I'm just using a lumbar pack. I do 99% of my treestand hunting with just a lumbar pack. That is because I am hunting private and I'm usually within1/2 mile of the truck. And I can drive closer if I kill something. If I'm on public, I'm running a frame so that I can carry more stuff and easily pack an animal out. So yea I'm gonna steer you towards a frame because of my personal use. If your use is more like my private land use, no you don't need any structure really.

A frame is only 3 pieces. Frame sheet, shoulder straps, and hip belt. Sheet is hdpe. Could you use other material? Yes. But I see no reason too. Order a sheet from grainger. It is pretty inexpensive. I use 1/8.

You need stays if you intend to haul more than probably 20#s. Big perk of stays is they allow for load lifters on your shoulder straps. This allows the load to be taken off your shoulders almost entirely.

Easiest way to pattern belt and straps is to have access to a good pack to copy. You can go to a store to put hands on packs too. Even places like REI and basspro will have some decent packs to get an idea. Pictures with a ruler for scale, can go a long ways. I sent someone building a frame a truck load of pics of my patterns to get him going. One of these years I will get patterns put into a digital format to share online. At the end of the day you are just sketching out the belt and shoulder straps on poster board, adding more allowance for foam, and then adding seam allowance. Sew them inside out. Turn them right side out, insert foam, and sew last seam closed. It is ideal to have a machine with enough presser foot lift that will let you sew through the foam to hold it into place. You will also need a compound feed machine to do this well. But you don't have to sew through the foam so don't sweat it. Just design around it.

How to learn to sew horseshoe zippers? That one is easy. Don't. They look cool but I have found them to be not worth the effort. Not that they are overly difficult. My real world use just has not proven them to be of any real value. Straight zips are so much easier to sew too.

If you can swing the cost, I really recommend buying a used kifaru frame. This is a good time of year to pick one up. Prices will be lower now than ever. This will let you disassemble and copy it. Then you can just sell it. Play your cards right and you might even make money on the deal. Esp if you buy low and sell closer to September.

You also might just decide to say screw it and keep the frame. That's ok too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
This spot on info. I will add, take some backpacks you have and really start to study the construction, turn them inside out and take a long look, several times. That basically how I learned to sew packs.

Just wanted to throw this out there, I have 2 stone glacier packs and 1 kuiu pack if you guys looking to build packs wanted any pictures of how they did certain things. I could turn them inside out and take some pics. I know part of the fun is figuring it out but I consider SG to be the best currently, may get the thinking cap rolling along for alternative ideas.

Just wanted to throw this out there, I have 2 stone glacier packs and 1 kuiu pack if you guys looking to build packs wanted any pictures of how they did certain things. I could turn them inside out and take some pics. I know part of the fun is figuring it out but I consider SG to be the best currently, may get the thinking cap rolling along for alternative ideas.

That would be awesome. The more pictures to compare and get ideas the better.

I can't speak for everyone but I would like to see pictures. That would help the learning curve.

Back