• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Socks - Wiggy’s or Alpaca

sdonx

SH Member
I need an upgrade in this area. I see alot on Alpaca - not much on the Wiggy’s Lamalite. What there is on the Wiggy’s is all good.(only two reviews)
I have Wiggy’s sleeping bag that I love. There socks look like boot covers more than socks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a pair of his 8" socks but have only had them a month or so. I haven't used them yet, I'm waiting for cold weather. The 8" socks are only $25 and that includes shipping, cheap enough to try without much risk.

I need an upgrade in this area. I see alot on Alpaca - not much on the Wiggy’s Lamalite. What there is on the Wiggy’s is all good.(only two reviews)
I have Wiggy’s sleeping bag that I love. There socks look like boot covers more than socks.

Which Alpaca socks are you looking into? I agree with the Wiggys socks....they look like boot covers and I have no idea how they could be worn as socks inside my boots lol

Are you wearing rubber boots or normal leather boots? If you are wearing rubber boots, I highly recommend a moisture wicking liner with a wool sock, otherwise, you will have cold feet! I don't have any fancy socks just whatever my wife got me for Christmas, lol.

I've never tried Alpaca wool and I too am rather confused about those blanket sock things.

I picked up some of these from Camofire and they are awesome. Have some Darn Tough and Lorpen merino socks, those are great, but these are a whole other level. They can be pretty damp and your feet feel dry. I don't know how it works but they wick the moisture away better than anything I've tried.

https://www.blackovis.com/gore-fullcrew-midweight-sock

I wear smartwool or Darn tough. Both are great. I like the fit of smartwool better on the heavier weight pile socks. Cant beat the lifetime guarantee on Darn Tough though. Wear a hole in them? mail them back, new pair of socks, no questions asked, period. On really cold days I wear silk or polypro liners with a heavy weight smartwool.

Unless im out west which isnt often. I wear an assortment of Muck boots. I wear thin liners and any cheap wool blend boot sock. I’m looking for the best of the best.

I found a thread “Alpaca socks”
And Swampsnyper I think got these
https://purelyalpaca.com/products/superwarm-heavy-extreme-alpaca-socks?variant=784748995

Those were ok but these were a lot more comfortable. Not too thick. Worked great from 70 deg to in the teens. No sweaty feet or cold feet with just that single sock. No liners or anything in a rubber boot slightly insulated. Maybe 600gr insulated boot. Very satisfied with these so far. They did shed a lot of fur while wearing and washing but I’m hoping that was just because they were new. Very soft!
I’ve worn smart wool with a liner or darn tough socks but these alpaca are my go too for now. I ordered more.
b5d0810548776e1d0f1d1ba3ac757bc7.png

Those were ok but these were a lot more comfortable. Not too thick. Worked great from 70 deg to in the teens. No sweaty feet or cold feet with just that single sock. No liners or anything in a rubber boot slightly insulated. Maybe 600gr insulated boot. Very satisfied with these so far. They did shed a lot of fur while wearing and washing but I’m hoping that was just because they were new. Very soft!
I’ve worn smart wool with a liner or darn tough socks but these alpaca are my go too for now. I ordered more.
b5d0810548776e1d0f1d1ba3ac757bc7.png

Do you have the link? Can’t find em on amazon. Might be sold out

What proerties of alpaca wool make it better than merino?
Lots of articles on the net here is one. IMO... it is definitely warmer.

Alpaca fiber and Merino wool have many similarities, but some important differences. Similarities: Both have great odor control, both quite insulating (if the fiber size is similar Alpaca will be more so), and both are heat retaining when wet.

Some important differences, Alpaca is innately less itchy because the scales on same are of a lower height, less of them, and generally the fiber is smoother. Merino is not itchy if the fibers are small enough, and anyways what happens with a lot of sport merino garments is the scales are taken off or filled in to make laundering easier and more fool proof.

Laundering Alpaca is innately easier, because it has less tendency than untreated Merino to felt and thus doesn't shrink as much.

Importantly, Alpaca has a much higher tensile strength than Merino, is less moisture absorptive, and usually has at least semi hollow fibers (either pockets of hollowness, or in the more guard type hairs fully hollow cored) which means it dries faster/wicks better and is warmer per similar sized fibers (however, a garment made with much finer, solid fibers can be more warm and air trapping than a garment made with more coarse/large but hollow fibers).

\Alpaca has one of the highest tensile strengths of any natural fibers, 2nd only to silk and some bast fibers (like hemp, linen, etc).

I've actually noticed that in the last couple of years, that i've begun to see more Alpaca based baselayers being marketed, and honestly, it's about time because Alpaca is in many ways superior to Merino. Just think of it in evolutionary terms. The Alpaca is an animal that has been bred to a more extreme climate than Merino Sheep. While Merino have in recent modern times been exported/imported to more extreme climates (partially to force them to adapt by making finer fibers that trap more air, etc), it will take time for them to catch up to the Alpaca origins which evolved over a long period of time. In the high Andes where Alpacas originated, they can experience temps anywhere on average from -30 degree F, to above 100 degrees with super intense U.V., and in the paramo levels lots of rain/snow and moisture at times, but in other places desert like. The Alpaca's "wool" developed to be able to handle all these and keep the animal alive and in relative comfort.

I've yet to get any Alpaca based baselayers because of the high prices. I do have and use Alpaca sweaters (and hats) which i really like, but not so much for backpacking because they are heavier and warmer than what i need for hiking in most conditions, and for rest/camp, down just makes more sense because it's so light and packable. And while they handle moisture extremely well for a natural fiber, they still aren't as quick drying as thinner poly based fleeces, polypro or the like. But i would love to eventually try some thinner/lighter Alpaca based baselayers.

Interestingly, the former CEO for Malden Mills which makes Polartec, started a company based on making unique, natural fiber based baselayers primarily out of Alpaca, but with some added Tencel (to further increase strength, durability and softness and maybe to lower cost some).

Back