• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Soft shackles?

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Anybody familiar with them? I've been reading up on them a bit this weekend, since Missus Buster told me I couldn't go play. I'm wondering if they cinch secure enough to use in lieu of a traditional locking carabiner?

Seems like an easy way to eliminate biner-clink. If you were willing to use friction knots to adjust tether and linemans length you could 100% eliminate all metal hardware from your rope system.

Are they prone to slipping loose or something? Need to constantly be under load or fairly static? Surely there's a reason I haven't seen anybody else at least trying to use them.

Edit: this is the particular video that intrigued me. Seems like maybe you could add a castration band to eliminate the cinch part from backing loose if there was slack in the line?

Last edited:
Anybody familiar with them? I've been reading up on them a bit this weekend, since Missus Buster told me I couldn't go play. I'm wondering if they cinch secure enough to use in lieu of a traditional locking carabiner?

Seems like an easy way to eliminate biner-clink. If you were willing to use friction knots to adjust tether and linemans length you could 100% eliminate all metal hardware from your rope system.

Are they prone to slipping loose or something? Need to constantly be under load or fairly static? Surely there's a reason I haven't seen anybody else at least trying to use them.

I have no experience with them but, it's been brought up on here before and people chimed in that they were known to slip and strongly recommended not using them for life support.

So far so good. I got about 20 hours of practice on it BUT im also leaving my linesman belt attached just in case. I wasnt sold on the shackle idea originally but it works for its purpose and has held with zero issues.

Put this together this morning with 1/4” Amsteel Blue. Will work on building a better knot, but it ain’t slippin, and this one is a sloppy build. After having just tested it out with the truck, I’d trust my life to it.

I have some more 1/4” and 7/64” on order. When it comes in I’m gonna do some more.

882094e4a31402ec5e81218c13eaa925.jpg
7a00d17cafa8dddd87f4931cb40547af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I use 1/4" amsteel soft shackles and they are like twice as strong as most biners.
There's guys that load test them on youtube.
I have a few pictures on my hindsite is 2020 post and that's my preferred method for making them. "modified shackles"
I think I used 27" each for 4" shackle. I had 4 inch tag ends which I trimmed after making the button.
There is a formula. I think the guys name is John Evan's or James on you tube.
With modified shackle you don't need a fish line to open them.

I don't know how to link videos but I will try to find title.
A young boy shows best demonstration I have found for making the button.
There are several out there but when you see the youngster you will get it first try.

I use 1/4" amsteel soft shackles and they are like twice as strong as most biners.
There's guys that load test them on youtube.
I have a few pictures on my hindsite is 2020 post and that's my preferred method for making them. "modified shackles"
I think I used 27" each for 4" shackle. I had 4 inch tag ends which I trimmed after making the button.
There is a formula. I think the guys name is John Evan's or James on you tube.
With modified shackle you don't need a fish line to open them.
Wow ....it took 6ft for me to make 6inch.

Sorry guys, I don't know how to edit a post.
Pictures of modified shackle not in hindsite 2020 post.
In amsteel mock up post

Here’s my second attempt. It was 40” of amsteel with a 12” bury. I’m
Much more satisfied with the knot. I used BCY #3D serving for the flo orange keeper loop.

c855f84a0a4ef10d609e88f3a4584522.jpg
f52c85db5fe2d45c92d5a244973f76ac.jpg

YouTube
How to make improved soft shackle
Allen Edward's

That's the ones I make.
Good luck.

I followed this video and made one:
I don't see any way it could slip. I tested it as a connection from my bridge to bridge loop to be a quieter connection and had no problems.

Friction would be my biggest worry if using it to connect my bridge. I rotate in my saddle quite a bit so it going back and forth in the carabiner a lot. Amsteel has a low melting point if I remember correctly. Rope on a metal biner = not much friction. Rope on rope worries me. I could be wrong.

Friction would be my biggest worry if using it to connect my bridge. I rotate in my saddle quite a bit so it going back and forth in the carabiner a lot. Amsteel has a low melting point if I remember correctly. Rope on a metal biner = not much friction. Rope on rope worries me. I could be wrong.

In this application, I don’t think it’s going to incur enough friction to reach its melting point. For that matter, I’d be willing to bet my life on it.

I was more worried they would not moves smooth when your rotating your hips at the bridge tether connection......I thought about replacing the linesman's belt biner with one but decided I like the extra weight on the linesman's to help throw it around larger diameter trees

Back