• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Someone gonna pull my trad card

gcr0003

SH Member
if I switch back to a bear weather rest or equivalent?

I’ve shot weather rests on my past bows and something about them feels like a cleaner shot. I might try one out on my current bow and see if the love is still there. I haven’t had any trouble with off the shelf shooting per se. Like I said, it just doesn’t feel as smooth to me. At least I’ll still be shooting a wood riser right?

if I switch back to a bear weather rest or equivalent?

I’ve shot weather rests on my past bows and something about them feels like a cleaner shot. I might try one out on my current bow and see if the love is still there. I haven’t had any trouble with off the shelf shooting per se. Like I said, it just doesn’t feel as smooth to me. At least I’ll still be shooting a wood riser right?
Well, we won't pull your trad card...YET. But we will punch it once. 3 punches and you will have to surrender it.
JK...I'm just happy there isn't 5 pounds of machined hardware on the bow!

I draw the line at springy rests. You won’t catch me using one. Next thing you will do is tell me to tie-die hydro dip my bow neon pink and green and hunt from the ground.

lmao. I’m actually down with the ground part of that rant!

Use the Hoyt super rest then.

I really like the looks of a bow set up to shoot off the shelf but I’ve had a few that just shot better off a rest. My preference is a Hoyt Super Rest. I do paint them brown or black depending on the bow though. It seems wrong to put a white one on a wood bow.

I really like the looks of a bow set up to shoot off the shelf but I’ve had a few that just shot better off a rest. My preference is a Hoyt Super Rest. I do paint them brown or black depending on the bow though. It seems wrong to put a white one on a wood bow.
Yea the super rests are solid performers

Go for it, if you look at the recurves from Herters from the 60-70’s many/most of them were designed to use an elevated brush rest.

Remember-don't get hung up on the "Traditional" label. It means what it means...to YOU. Everyone has their own opinion on what "Traditional Archery" is, and we all know what opinions are like... ;)
Hey now, if you want to identify as trad, go ahead. But don’t expect me to call you a trad when you’re shooting off an aluminum riser with a springy rest and Olympic style recurve sight and a stabilizer like @Razorbak66 :tearsofjoy:

Joking aside. I’ve only shot a super/bear rest on my recurves. The bow I’m considering it on is my Bearpaw Slick Stick. Any thoughts on this rest for a modern reflex/deflex longbow that is pretty short?

Hey now, if you want to identify as trad, go ahead. But don’t expect me to call you a trad when you’re shooting off an aluminum riser with a springy rest and Olympic style recurve sight and a stabilizer like @Razorbak66 :tearsofjoy:
Well, all but one of the bows in my "herd" are made of wood. The "outcast" is my Dad's Marz 66" recurve that he had made by Mr Marz back in the day, which has an aluminum riser with maple inserts in the grip. None of them have rests, sights, stabilizers, clickers, etc.- just the bow, a string, & quiver. Where the arrow goes is up to me! ;)

You like weather rests, so go with that, IMO.

I became aware of a term "single string bow" years ago, that might put a lot of minds at ease.
That would cover every year from the beginning, to today, regardless of the stuff you hang on your bow.

Ya’ll crucify me when you see my 21” Satori is all set up with a sight, d loop, plunger and superflyte rest and shooting a release with it won’t ya?!?!? Won’t ya!?!? it’s coming folks!! It might even have a stabilizer:triumph:

Ya’ll crucify me when you see my 21” Satori is all set up with a sight, d loop, plunger and superflyte rest and shooting a release with it won’t ya?!?!? Won’t ya!?!? it’s coming folks!! It might even have a stabilizer:triumph:
Stabilizer is fine. But a release??? :)

Joking aside. I’ve only shot a super/bear rest on my recurves. The bow I’m considering it on is my Bearpaw Slick Stick. Any thoughts on this rest for a modern reflex/deflex longbow that is pretty short?

It will work, but those bows have a nice radiused shelf on them for shooting off the shelf. Have you tried a wooden match stick under the rest material?

Back